Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Bluesblitz
Resident COOTER

Will a dyna-comp be enough?

Hey everybody, I'm about to jump on getting an MXR dyna-comp since I've been needing a compressor for a while. The thing is, I really like having a lot of percussive attack with the other compressors I've played, so will the dyna-comp suffice with 1 sensitivity knob, or does it not generate a lot of percussiveness?

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Bluesblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesblitz
Hey everybody, I'm about to jump on getting an MXR dyna-comp since I've been needing a compressor for a while. The thing is, I really like having a lot of percussive attack with the other compressors I've played, so will the dyna-comp suffice with 1 sensitivity knob, or does it not generate a lot of percussiveness?

that is completely subjective. afaik compression will actually squash your signal, make the attack stand out less. the 'attack' parameter of a compressor should dictate how quickly compression kicks in, so if you want attack to stand out then you'll want to be able to control the 'attack' parameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Get a Diamond Compressor. Way better than the Dyna Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
rickyvanh

Keep your receipt.If you don't mind excessive noise in exchange for subtle effect,you need one.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
that is completely subjective. afaik compression will actually squash your signal, make the attack stand out less. the 'attack' parameter of a compressor should dictate how quickly compression kicks in, so if you want attack to stand out then you'll want to be able to control the 'attack' parameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

This.

Saving everyone my typical rant about most guitar pedal compressors being dumbed-down and not very controllable, I would never buy (or willingly use) a compressor with no attack control. At the very least, a good compressor will allow you to tweak the attack, ratio and threshold (sometimes named differently/achieved in a different way). Release is less-important in some ways, though if I was engineering I'd want the 4 main controls (the first three plus Release).

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

^ i have gotten spoiled by my rack channel strip. i don't see how people use compressors without all the controls. but guitar compressors are pretty dumbed down in that respect, the 'attack' will have a fixed value usually... but i don't trust preferences.

-ae
Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Yeah, if I was to build my ultimate rack and allow for total overkill I'd probably use an EL8 Distressor as a comp. Then again, that would be the sound engineering side of me that encouraged it, as I'd love one for general studio stuff let alone as part of a guitar live rig!

Music Stuff

Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner

yeah, i think once you get used to dialing in a comp there is no going back

-ae
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Definitely! In my case, I never bothered with compressors as a guitarist when younger, and when I learnt about hardware compressors at uni (while studying sound engineering, obv. hehe), I was immediately introduced to the typical studio compressor which has such controls.

Then when I saw the guitar pedals I'd dismissed in the past as unnecessary anyway, I couldn't help but feel they were slight misleading guitarists and giving them less options to keep things simple as though all guitarists are inherently stupid!

Music Stuff

Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Definitely! In my case, I never bothered with compressors as a guitarist when younger, and when I learnt about hardware compressors at uni (while studying sound engineering, obv. hehe), I was immediately introduced to the typical studio compressor which has such controls.

Then when I saw the guitar pedals I'd dismissed in the past as unnecessary anyway, I couldn't help but feel they were slight misleading guitarists and giving them less options to keep things simple as though all guitarists are inherently stupid!

i used to always nay-say guitar comp pedals. electric guitar signals are naturally compressed anyway, so i preached proper leveling for electric guitar.

once i got a proper rack comp the world of compression changed for me. i had an epiphany moment. never went to uni for it though, just bough a channel strip and decided to figure out how to use the compressor with all these extra parameters.

compressors and limiters have almost completely changed how approach recording now though. second only to parametric eq. need to learn to use reverb better now.

-ae
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Compressors are to recording like master volume is to amps.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, feel free to head to the Recordings forum (mainly our chat thread) if you ever wanna explore more about those things

But yeah, I think that a lot of guitarists would greatly benefit learning what we often do, as audio engineers, to correct and enhance what the stereotypical guitarist 'gives us' both in the studio and as a live FOH guy!

Regarding EQ, I think without a decent graphic EQ, guitarists should be a lot more careful with the 'Low' tone control on amps... far too many think they're gaining a lot of thickness by cranking it, when all they're doing is creating boomy rumble from the cab whenever they palm mute. Midrange is the most important tone control on amps and typically the one I set highest. And in most modern mixes, the guitars are high-pass filtered at like 125Hz or higher anyway, to avoid clashing with the bass, so I would recommend guitarists to care more about the mids and highs (enough for definition... not too much to be shrill or fizzy), if they actually wanna get heard on-stage.

As for reverb, the key to understanding reverb is very similar to compression actually - understanding the pre-delay (or Attack, for comps) and the sustain, and the decay, as well as the level in the mix. There's also different types of reverb, but they're a bit more obvious (i.e spring reverbs have a very boingy or 'bouncey' sound for obvious reasons, plate reverbs tend to be less bright and have a slower, swelling sound, and digital reverbs can be almost anything hehe).

Music Stuff

Rate This Thread: