Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
BluesWizard

Building up speed

Hey guys,

I was wondering how I could build speed and precision in my first, middle, and third fingers (I don't use my pinky for lead work). I'm not looking to be the next Yngwie Malmsteen, I just want to be able to play better
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
satchfan9

Check John Petrucci's Rock Discipline on youtube, the exercises will help A LOT.
satchfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

IMO it helps to always practice on acoustic. Preferably with very hard strings.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesWizard
Hey guys,

I was wondering how I could build speed and precision in my first, middle, and third fingers (I don't use my pinky for lead work). I'm not looking to be the next Yngwie Malmsteen, I just want to be able to play better

what matters most is *how* you practice - practice things slowly and only speed up when you're playing something consistently and without mistakes.

Also start using your pinky, it'll never get any better otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

If you're not using your pinky for playing lead, you're only playing at 75% efficiency.

Think about it.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
If you're not using your pinky for playing lead, you're only playing at 75% efficiency.

Think about it.

Came here to say this. And you're an idiot for thinking you're better off not using your pinky.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Hey guys,

If you want to be able to play better, then start using your pinky.

As for speed, don't play anything faster than what feels comfortable, entirely natural, 100% relaxed, and in complete control. If you have that mindset, then speed will come by itself without you noticing, because you're not thinking about it. You're just playing.

It's also advisable to record yourself throughout the year. it can be quite motivating to hear yourself play something faster than what you were able to do six months ago.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
BluesWizard

I do use my pinky for chording and running basic scales, but trying to get it do hammering and stuff is nearly impossible
Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
I do use my pinky for chording and running basic scales, but trying to get it do hammering and stuff is nearly impossible

so you've already realized it's not impossible. get on it.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:

Try doing pinky exercises over the whole neck (using just pinky and one other finger of choice) preferably on acoustic.
Something like this:
|-5-3---3-------------------------------------------------------------
|------5---5-3-5-3---3----------------------------------------------
|---------------------5--5-3-5-3--3---------------------------------
|----------------------------------5--5-3-5-3---3-------------------
|------------------------------------------------5--5-3-5-3---3-----
|--------------------------------------------------------------5--5-3-

EDIT: More your finger hurts, faster the progress will be.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 12-28-2012 at 12:15 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:

http://foreverjoe.com/main.html

Fig 3B.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgT...ayer_detailpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Andy Pollow

Quote:
Came here to say this. And you're an idiot for thinking you're better off not using your pinky.

NO - it isnt nice to call people an idiot and you can play alot really good without the pinky. But it dosent take as long as you might think to get the pinky in shape and you will play alot more with it. Finger speed is easy - just practise alot. Its the pick thats tricky to get REAL good at.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520

+1. I don't see the reasoning behind not using it. You will be able to stretch to further frets, play more notes etc. You might as well train yourself equally on all 4 fingers. Malmsteen uses 4 fingers.

Inb4 Malmsteen sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Sue's notorious finger exercise!!! Yay!

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1----------- ----------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1----------------------------- -------------------------------4-3-2-1----------------------1-2-3-4----------------- -----------4-3-2-1---------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------- ---------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------- -1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------

Then play it descending (ish).

Code:
-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------4-3-2-1---------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------4-3-2-1----------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1---------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------

When this gets easy (lolz), don't just restrict yourself to a four-fret span. Do variations of the following.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------5-4-2-1----------- ----------------------------------------------------5-4-2-1----------------------------- -------------------------------5-4-2-1----------------------1-2-4-5----------------- -----------5-4-2-1---------------------1-2-4-5----------------------------------- ---------------------1-2-4-5-------------------------------------------------------- -1-2-4-5---------------------------------------------------------------------

You get the idea -- make your hand hurt an awful lot.

BTW, Yngwie Malmsteen and those other "shredders" all suck.

Edit: I have a Matry Friedman video LINKED IN MY SIG. Might there be some sarcasm in the shredders comment?

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue

Last edited by bangoodcharlote : 12-28-2012 at 11:37 PM.
bangoodcharlote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
Geldin

TS, your pinkie is really important to playing quickly and cleanly. It'll open up more options for fingerings and positions, which in turn will make your playing more efficient. As for your picking, focus on making your strokes as small and relaxed as possible in practice. Efficiency and relaxation are the secrets to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
BTW, Yngwie Malmsteen and those other "shredders" all suck.

Not really. I don't think their music is particularly interesting, but most of those guys have good technique. You have to, in order to play quickly and cleanly.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

You have a pinky, so why not use it? It boggles the mind. Sure, the frets are smaller higher up on the neck and you have less room, but that doesn't mean that you omit your pinky. If you're going to omit a finger, the sensible thing to do would be to omit your index so you can drag it behind your other fingers and mute.

Getting back to the original question, don't chase speed. It's pointless. There's a big difference between playing fast and playing well. Once you can play well, playing fast will naturally follow.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
Lutz Richter

It depends on what you wanna do. Of course I use my pinky and generally I recommend that to others, because it gives you more possibilities.
But: If your goal is to become faster with the things you already do, I'd either recommend you to get your licks with the first 3 fingers fluent. Look at Michael Schenker for example: a lot of great pentatonic stuff without pinky.

...back to the original question: there are many ways to practice for speed. Most important is to have a defined goal about how fast you want to be. Then really concentrate and discover the things that are not perfect yet... eliminating all little flaws constantly will make you faster and faster
Lutz Richter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: