Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
7/8 Strings Guitar

Hi!
I'm seduced by 7 and 8 strings guitars, but I'm not sure if buying one of 'em and which one.
I've searched the web, but I think that asking to someone who may has already played one of 'em is an even better feedback on this matter.
I own an epiphone les paul and a Jackson rr (Floyd rose), so I'd like to "complete" my basic collection with a guitar with seven or eight strings.
Any suggestions?
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
What kind of budget are you looking at?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!



Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Guess Where?
If you're not too sure on the seven string thing get a used RG7321, great starter seven strings.
__________________
Laney AOR 100
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Roadkill Stag 2X12 (with V30's)
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If you haven't checked yet, Carvin has both 7 and 8-strings. Extremely high quality, highly customizable and neck-through (personal preference).

Agile (RondoMusic.com) has a whole lot of options available, including a raft of scale options and even fan fret ("multiscale") guitars. Don't be afraid of the latter; they're actually more comfortable than standard guitars -- more ergonomic. Again, my preference runs to neck-through guitars, but they've also got bolt neck versions.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
gorgthemeatpile
UG's pile of meat
 
gorgthemeatpile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
If you're not too sure on the seven string thing get a used RG7321, great starter seven strings.


+1
__________________
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
gorgthemeatpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
 
Mister A.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: I can't remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
If you haven't checked yet, Carvin has both 7 and 8-strings. Extremely high quality, highly customizable and neck-through (personal preference).

The CT7s are absolutely fucking incredible. Just sayin'.

As for my recommendation, if you can afford it, grab a brand new Carvin CT7.



However, I'd start with an RG7321 before you get the Carvin, just to make sure you want a 7.
__________________
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.


Official Approval
show

Last edited by Mister A.J. : 11-12-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
maXterbat0r
Registered User
 
maXterbat0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
The RG7321 is great, like what others have said. Ibanez also has an RG8 thats been getting rave reviews. These are both models you might be able to snag a great deal on used. There's also Jackson's JS32 7 and 8 string models for about 400 dollars. Then there's rondomusic, selling quality budget 7 and 8 string guitar

What's your budget, and ere are you in the world? Are there stores that stock 7 or 8 strings?
maXterbat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What kind of budget are you looking at?

Not a precise budget, I'd like to buy something of a good quality without spending too much, let's say a maximum of like 500 euros.
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
If you're not too sure on the seven string thing get a used RG7321, great starter seven strings.

Thank you very much.
Some other guitars apart from the Ibanez ones?
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maXterbat0r
The RG7321 is great, like what others have said. Ibanez also has an RG8 thats been getting rave reviews. These are both models you might be able to snag a great deal on used. There's also Jackson's JS32 7 and 8 string models for about 400 dollars. Then there's rondomusic, selling quality budget 7 and 8 string guitar

What's your budget, and ere are you in the world? Are there stores that stock 7 or 8 strings?

Thank you too!
I'm from Italy.
I don't know if buy a 7 string or a 8 string, since I don't play music a la Meshuggah or similia.
I'd like to buy one of 'em just to discover new possibility, to expand my knowledge and probably I'd use more the 7th string than the 8th, but what I ask myself is that if buy a guitar with an additional string doesn't cost that much more than buying a 7th string maybe I can buy the 8th string guitar so if I need I'd play even the 8th string if I don't need I just have another string just in case.
Sorry I hope I've explained the situation in a comprehensible way.
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Guess Where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSammet
Thank you very much.
Some other guitars apart from the Ibanez ones?


Where abouts are you?

That would help as prices vary from Location to location!

Edit I didn't see you posted a budget in Euros. I'm not too good with seven strings as I've only ever tried the one, but it is well regarded here for a first 7.

Someone else who knows more than me will chip in though.
__________________
Laney AOR 100
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Roadkill Stag 2X12 (with V30's)
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V

Last edited by Fisheth24 : 11-13-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Guess Where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSammet
Thank you too!
I'm from Italy.
I don't know if buy a 7 string or a 8 string, since I don't play music a la Meshuggah or similia.
I'd like to buy one of 'em just to discover new possibility, to expand my knowledge and probably I'd use more the 7th string than the 8th, but what I ask myself is that if buy a guitar with an additional string doesn't cost that much more than buying a 7th string maybe I can buy the 8th string guitar so if I need I'd play even the 8th string if I don't need I just have another string just in case.
Sorry I hope I've explained the situation in a comprehensible way.


7's and 8's feel very different.

I'd start with a 7 and if you like it try out a few 8 strings.
__________________
Laney AOR 100
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Roadkill Stag 2X12 (with V30's)
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
If you haven't checked yet, Carvin has both 7 and 8-strings. Extremely high quality, highly customizable and neck-through (personal preference).

Agile (RondoMusic.com) has a whole lot of options available, including a raft of scale options and even fan fret ("multiscale") guitars. Don't be afraid of the latter; they're actually more comfortable than standard guitars -- more ergonomic. Again, my preference runs to neck-through guitars, but they've also got bolt neck versions.

I'll check it right now!
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Guess Where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSammet
I'll check it right now!


Wouldn't recommend Agile because you're in Europe. Import Duty/Customs will kill the deal.
__________________
Laney AOR 100
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Roadkill Stag 2X12 (with V30's)
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
7's and 8's feel very different.

I'd start with a 7 and if you like it try out a few 8 strings.

It's right what I mean!
I'm a totally noob in this matter so I was also asking if they were two completely different things or if buying a 8th strings guitar would "comprehend" buying a 7h strings one.
So thank you, now I know that it's better to start with a seven strings!
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Wouldn't recommend Agile because you're in Europe. Import Duty/Customs will kill the deal.

Other shops you recommend?
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Guess Where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSammet
Other shops you recommend?


Thomman if you're in Europe. Brilliant prices compared to elsewhere if there isn't a used market where you are.
__________________
Laney AOR 100
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Roadkill Stag 2X12 (with V30's)
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
TobiasSammet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
Thomman if you're in Europe. Brilliant prices compared to elsewhere if there isn't a used market where you are.

Ok, I'll check it, thanks!
TobiasSammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.