Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #61
Ridg3
Mah boi

I'm going to be outright honest here. I have a shit singing voice, I mean absolutely terrible. Can I work with what I have to be a good singer if I use proper techniques?
Ridg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #62
corrda00
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg3
I'm going to be outright honest here. I have a shit singing voice, I mean absolutely terrible. Can I work with what I have to be a good singer if I use proper techniques?

I was there 3 years ago. Lots of determination and now I sing regularly in a performing band and Ive recorded vocals for our album.

I've beleived that anyone can sing. Its like if you gave Jimmy Page a $100 strat knockoff. He'd still be a good guitarist. Likewise just cause you have a $4000 Custom Les paul doesnt mean your a good guitarist.
Its the same with the voice. Everything can be developed through practice.

So in short start with scales. Sing along to a tuned instrument. A good trick is to learn any song you sing on a tuned instrument than sing it once you know the notes.
As far as technique just work on taking deep breaths from your diaphram and work on trying to sing louder.
Thats pretty much all I can say in one post :P

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)

Last edited by corrda00 : 05-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #63
Metallicuh

What exercises would you recomend to thos looking to sing with rasp like Kurt Cobain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsLesPaul
I like penis

If God was a woman, we would all be sandwiches.
Metallicuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #64
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

Location: Down here at the Pawn Shop what has been sold not strictly made of stone just remember that it's flesh and bone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicuh
What exercises would you recomend to thos looking to sing with rasp like Kurt Cobain?

Smoking.

I try to sing clear, so I can't help, but seriously you have to be careful when you sing raspy it can damage your voice.
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Robbin'TheHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #65
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicuh

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1329409
Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #66
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

Location: Down here at the Pawn Shop what has been sold not strictly made of stone just remember that it's flesh and bone
Today I recorded my singing and I noticed two things:

1. When I sing my voice seems alot deeper in my head, but is in tune.

2. My singing voice sounds alot like my speaking voice. Like the accent to my voice, (my american accent that is).

So, Is it normal for my voice to be deeper in my head (what I hear) than what I actually sound like? How can I remove the accent or whatever and just make my singing voice sound less like an extension of my normal voice? Oh and how can I sing with more umph, more energy?

Thank in advance.
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood : 06-19-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Robbin'TheHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #67
jettchan

proper singing with proper techniques will give you the full freely to sing as long as you wan't with ease.

best exercises i find most helpful was the original vocal fry technique and feeling the differences between your talking tone and your singing tone.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #68
Godsmack_IV
PhD in Pinkonomics

What are some techniques/excercises for keeping the larynx in a neutral position?
Godsmack_IV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #69
YellOutLoudMore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMann274
Will it help if I scream at the top of my lungs

I found that when I my job required my talking to large groups pretty much all day, that my vocal muscles really became quite relaxed. The constant use and requirement to speak at a fairly loud volume, day after day (months) really improved my abilty to sing well.

So talk a lot, and loud.
YellOutLoudMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #70
brayf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg3

Practise, honestly. As much as possible. Unless you're completely tone-deaf (which is doubtful because you wouldn't even claim to have a singing voice at all, no matter how bad), you can get to an acceptable standard with practice. I used to be a below-average singer. I busked for a couple of months last summer which meant I was singing for an hour or two every day, at least five days a week. Within months my improvement was unbelievable. Just try and get some private time (because it's embarrassing singing badly in front of people) and spend at least half an hour a day (preferably more) singing along as well as you can to your guitar, or if you get bored of that, just put an album on and sing along to some of your favourite songs. You eventually get accustomed to where notes are, how far to shift your pitch to get from one note to another, etc. It's not dissimilar from learning to play an instrument.

The more you practise, the quicker you'll improve. But if you could do five hours a week I bet you'd see a huge improvement within two months. Just do it properly, singing along quietly or half-heartedly won't do it, and sing songs that lie outside your comfort zone to improve your range. Stuff like Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Nirvana, if you're into any of that it's perfect. Just scream along, even if you're way out of tune you will be training your voice. I'd probably stop if it starts hurting though. Slight soreness/hoarseness afterwards is to be expected but don't destroy your throat :]

Last edited by brayf : 03-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.
brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #71
eGraham
Logjammin'

^ I taught myself to sing decently just by singing along with Beatles tracks when I was younger. I tend to go towards the harmonizing vocals though. I became very comfortable singing in the standard tenor range (C3-C5).

Unfortunately I don't have much of a singing voice anymore due to some scar tissue on my vocal chords, but I can still hold pitches relatively well in that range. As far as I know, my larynx can't be repaired, either

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #72
pickofdestiny89

There is some interesting stuff in this thread. I am trying to get into singing without a teacher and I will definitely try some of the techniques that were described here!
As this thread is already pretty old I would like to know how people that wrote in here progressed.
Is there anybody who would like to comment on this?
pickofdestiny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #73
Duce180

Ive been doing brett manning's Singing Success and have seen quite a bit of improvement in a couple months, highly reccommend it (i am in no way affliated with brett manning or singing success). For the rock singers check out the band "Red" they're vocalist learned/improved with this program.

Heres a couple exercises that ive learned through the program. Learn to Tongue Trill and Lip trill. Do a google/youtube search, and learn it. The tongue trill will eliminate strain, build power, even out your tone and improve breathe control. The lip trill has similar benefits but is better for building range and improving upon breath control. These are both good warm up exercises aswell as they dont put much stress (if any) on your voice. Now, you need to do these two exercises with a scale, preferably with a piano. I've seen some scale exercises on youtube so u can look there.

One very important thing is you have to do these exercises properly, if not, you may hurt your voice, so make sure you get it right, i reccommend recording yourself and comparing to videos on youtube of pros doing it.

These are pretty basic exercises and aren't only affliated on singing success, although singing success is revolved around the two exercises, Ive seen other singing methods and teachers use em, so dont think this is some rare exercise.

Id also like to touch on Diaphragm Breathing. It should come naturally, if you put to much effort into it you could over do it, which I did. Now, you should come to learn the sensation of diaphragm breathing, lay down put hands on belly and take some deep breathes, thats how you breathe with your diaphragm. Its really easy to overthink it though. I thought all my problems were connected to my lack of breathing support when really I just had strain. You can have awesome diaphragm breathing but still sound bad. Exercises with make it come naturally as imposed to something that is forced. In reality every breathe you take uses your diaphragm, but its getting it used in an efficient and effective manner that you want as a singer. Due your do dilligence it learning proper breathing but other problems like strain could be your problem, but with that said strain could be a symptom of your poor breath control, thats why these exercises are important, they'll straighten out both your breathing and any strain you may have.

:Edit: To check how well your breathing is do a 'sss" exercise. Basicaly take a deep breathe (not with your chest, with your belly) and slowly let air out with a slight "hiss" or "sss" sound, kind of like air leaking out a tire. Do it for as long as you can with one breathe. You want to be able to get to atleast 45 seconds, your first attempt might only garner 30 seconds though. Try doing 5-10 reps twice a day, one time in the morning, one time before bed. Work on getting more stamina/longer. Ive heard of pros being able to hit 2 to 5 minutes.

To see if you have strain, put your fingers or thumb underneath your jaw, if that soft part under your jaw hardens up, your straining. Now, this isin't the only muscle that can strain, other muscles in your neck can strain aswell. Take a mirror, start singing and see for yourself wether you have a problem or not. Does your adams apple (larynx) move up? To improve your singing you need to find out what problems you have, and then you can begin to improve.

Exercise your voice daily, you have to put the work in, these type of exercises wont give you overnight success, if you have bad habits it will take longer to get new muscle memory in. Work hard, and it will pay off. Note always stop if you are getting any type of strain when singing, keep that in mind.

With all this said, I really reccommend singing lessons, a teacher can show you how to do these type of exercises and give you feedback on whether your doing it right. Thats why lessons with a teacher will always be the best option, you get feedback.

However, if you cant afford lessons, I highly suggest a singing program like Singing Success. Theres a couple really good ones out there, Singing Success helps you build a solid foundation of singing, where as other programs may be more catered towards advanced techniques. You'll have to do some research and decide which one works best for you, as each one is different.

Hope this helps somebody out
Good luck.

Last edited by Duce180 : 08-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #74
nhbs01

Three exercises that will increase your range.it is given below
1)head voice octaves
2)octaves arpeggio scales
3)compressed grunts
nhbs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #75
Duce180

Heres a great diaphragm breathing exercise I recently heard about.

First, try to hold your breath......... You probably noticed that when you hold your breath you close of the top of your throat to prevent air from going through. That's actually digastric tension that you don't want to use, but often gets used in holding your breath and with singing.

Try taking a breath again, but this time DON'T close off your throat, it should all be held in using your abdominal muscles. Once you get to the point where you can hold your breath sufficiently just using your abdominal muscles and not your throat, try to produce a vocal fry WITHOUT tensing up. This is hard but the more you practice the better you'll get. Once you get the vocal fry happening, create a fuller tone SIMPLY by adding air. Thats how the vocal chords should be used at all times.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #76
TellItAgain

Thumbs up

Lucida Console6Green

Well, I've never had vocal lessons or any of that jazz, but what always seems to help warm up my voice is singing other random stuff.

It helps you get comfortable and you can just sing loud, soft, high, low; all with singing random crap. You'll sound as bad as the weird stuff you're saying till you get your vocie right.

Have fun.

-TellItAgain.
TellItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #77
Diamondrag
Ibanez93

Kim Chandler's Vocal Exercise CD has really helped me to pitch better and also make the gap in my range between chest & head voice so much smaller & smoother. I've noticed how much I've improved with live recordings of my band

Souls Bitter Cry

SUPPORT US HERE!
Diamondrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #78
Michael Marlin

Relax, strengthen, play with tones and consonants.

A good vocal warm up includes driving the tones to different parts of the body....chest, head resonating. Shake out tension, and get your whole body into it.
Michael Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #79
dbzrkyyh

Anyone here tried any of ken tamplins lessons?

I have one where he teaches a tongue exercise and I simply cannot do it. He sticks his tongue out, and the point is rounded like an arrow. He says it should feel like there is a ball in the back of your throat, sort of like the open throat feeling you get when singing the Vowel Ah ( ah, like Law ) And then he sings a nn sound on a scale with his tongue out like that. '

Anyone have an idea of what would be a good alternative to this exercise? My tongue definitely doesn't come out pointed like his does, mines just..fat, idk haha. Plus, when I stick my tongue out it doesn't feel like my throat is more open like when I do the AH vowel, if anything it feels more restricted from having to stick my tongue out, like there is tension from forcing my tongue out.

so yeah, if anyone has an alternative exercise that has similar benefits, I'd appreciate it.
dbzrkyyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: