Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #101
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^Ive seen guitarist start playing little solos and stuff while the singer is trying to interact with the crowd. Looks very unprofessional, on top of being very disrespectful to your bandmates.
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #102
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

It can be done well though.
If the singer gets the crowd riled up during an extended solo, or something to that effect, it can be a real crowd pleaser and help them get into it more.
But if it's just the singer bantering between songs, there's no need for it.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #103
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

He would wait until the singer would start interacting the start playing random riffs and licks until the start of the next song. The singer bitched at him alot for it. I mean, they did four hour show as we all do around here at bars and with almost every blues/classic rock song having a solo for him, there was no point in that shit.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #104
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Seriously.
I mean if you wanna do it, at least mute the guitar.
No problems with noddling around randomly as long as it doesn't interrupt the banter and you're ready for the next song
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #105
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

^oh yeah thats fine. but he would mute. And half the time he wouldn't tune during that time just **** around then they would start the next song and he is outta tune.

But yeah there are ways to do that, but the way he did it was just douchy.
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #106
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

He sounds like a class act.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #107
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

He's not a bad guy, just not very aware of how he comes off when he does shit like that. I mean I posted that though cause Ive seen several people do stuff like that, he was the worst example Ive seen. You don't want to be that guy. Hell, when I saw BLS at ozzfest several years back, Zakk Wylde would solo in between every song pretty much. Its was 4 min song that already had a solo in it followed by five mins of shreddy before next song. It was boring as ****. One of the worst things Ive seen.

But as far as not being a dick goes, the worst thing you can do is be a dick to the soundguy or club owner. If you are to the soundguy he will make you sound like shit and you will be lucky to play there again and if you are a douche the the club owner, good luck getting another gig there (even if you don't want to play there again be aware that he probably talks to other owners are can cost you alot of gigs).
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #108
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Exactly.
You HAVE to be nice.
You can't go around acting like a rock star. The only reason the real rock stars get away with it is because they put asses in the seats.
Not a good excuse, but it is one.
your average UGer isn't a famous rock star.
The average Joe has no reason to act like that.
The club owner will see an egotistical prick that puts some asses in the seats, but there are hundreds of other small and local bands that could do the same thing without attitude.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #109
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.

Just something i foud out practicing...
If you use various tunings, get differents guitar. I still feel the burnings eyes of my bandmates waiting for me while i was tuning it. and plus, i the guitar is constently tuned to a tuning, it haves less chances of getting offtuned.

Since when do you fingerpick?

I ran out of picks last night.
n1ckn1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #110
Smcash
Nonregistered User...

Location: In the middle of who the hell would ever want to be there (AKA Eastern Kentucky)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
Exactly.
You HAVE to be nice.
You can't go around acting like a rock star. The only reason the real rock stars get away with it is because they put asses in the seats.
Not a good excuse, but it is one.
your average UGer isn't a famous rock star.
The average Joe has no reason to act like that.
The club owner will see an egotistical prick that puts some asses in the seats, but there are hundreds of other small and local bands that could do the same thing without attitude.

I don't know...I think you have to have some swagger. I mean don't go punch the sound guy in the face and tell him he sucks (in fact, you might want to buy him a 12 pack) but I think it can be a good thing to have some edge to you. Of course, you have to actually have some talent otherwise you really are just a dick. Oh and club owners get really pissed if you destroy their dressing rooms. Don't do that.
Smcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #111
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smcash
I don't know...I think you have to have some swagger. I mean don't go punch the sound guy in the face and tell him he sucks (in fact, you might want to buy him a 12 pack) but I think it can be a good thing to have some edge to you. Of course, you have to actually have some talent otherwise you really are just a dick. Oh and club owners get really pissed if you destroy their dressing rooms. Don't do that.

Having some swagger and being an arrogant dick are two different things.

There's no excuse to not be friendly and nice. You hear bands saying stuff like "blah blah blah the sound guy's a dickhead" or hurling abuse at the crowd. That shit doesn't, and shouldn't ever, fly.

You can have attitude on stage (and maybe off it, but preferably not to the people that matter when it comes to your progression as a band) but the minute you start to give the people like the guy that pays you, or the sound man or fans who are interested in your music and stuff the wrong kind of attitude, you're ****ed pretty much.

Generally even if the sound guy IS being a dick I'm friendly to him!
You never know when you'll gig at that place again, it'd always be nice to have the guy remember you for buying him a beer or something.

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #112
denied
Jamming

The very best thing you can do is be a likable guy (or gal). If the promoter loves you, the bands think you're great, and you get along with the sound guy, you are going to get called back.

I'm not sure what you mean by "swagger" but I get annoyed pretty easily when I see someone acting out. Some of the best musicians I know are the most humble and down to earth,and it serves them very well.
denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #113
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Bump because this thread is awesome and should be stickied.

Rate This Thread: