Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Roc8995

I think that means you need to take it to a shop. Strings are tuned by tension only, so if the tension is that low they're not in tune. You can't have a string that's in tune but also wildly loose on a standard scale guitar. Maybe if you used the wrong gauge string by mistake. But there's no reasonable mechanism where you have a string that's just flopping around on the fretboard but also at the right note. We're missing some information here.

Come back and tell us what it is once the shop figures it out.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
J_W

My guess is, you bought strings that are too thick and were tuned an octave low. Once you tuned to the correct octave they felt way too tight. I'm not sure it's even possible to have strings so tight it's unplayable. Pretty sure they will just break well before that.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
My guess is, you bought strings that are too thick and were tuned an octave low. Once you tuned to the correct octave they felt way too tight. I'm not sure it's even possible to have strings so tight it's unplayable. Pretty sure they will just break well before that.

Yeah, what kind of strings did you buy and what gauge? If you are going to tune to standard, 9-42 or 10-46 are the most commonly used gauges. I use a 9-42 set.

Take your guitar to the store you bought it from and ask them to do something about it. If you bought the guitar recently, I think they should do it for free, of course depending on the problem.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I think that means you need to take it to a shop. Strings are tuned by tension only, so if the tension is that low they're not in tune. You can't have a string that's in tune but also wildly loose on a standard scale guitar. Maybe if you used the wrong gauge string by mistake. But there's no reasonable mechanism where you have a string that's just flopping around on the fretboard but also at the right note. We're missing some information here.

Come back and tell us what it is once the shop figures it out.

+1

tell us what gauge too, as maggaramarine says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: