Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #11901
infinitenexus

Perhaps the rectifiers just need a tubescreamer in front of them. Everyone describes them as having a "loose" low end, and I had interpreted that as a full low end, I didn't realize they meant boomy and sloppy lol. I like amps with a full low end, but tight. I'd probably love an Engl.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #11902
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Loose low end, as opposed to tight low end, is basically the bass extension.

Loose means more bass extension, that results in what you've heard, and tight means less extension.

None of them is a synonym of how full they sound - an amp might have a lot of bass extension and sound loose without having much bass in the 80-120Hz region, that's usually the place where "bass" controls in tone stacks work, and an amp might not have much bass extension and still have that rumbly low end.

For a big low end, I suggest you looking into the Powerball, better if the second version, and the splawn nitro.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #11903
infinitenexus

A friend told me that a guitar center about 30 miles away often carries Engls, so I'm going to check into those. I do like the sound clips I've heard, and people describe Engls as having a very tight low end and I think I would like that.

In regards to my new Bugera 333XL... Well, with the volume relatively low it truly was one of the best sounding amps I've heard in a long time. So I bought it. Today I took it to band practice, and once I turned the master volume past 2 the sound started going up and down and it just wouldn't put out any substantial volume at all. With the master volume on 7 it wasn't even loud. So I took it back and got a refund. Shame, as it really was a nice sounding amp, but I think I'll be better off saving my pennies and getting an Engl.

I also tried out a Marshall TSL100 today. It sounded okay but had a weird "cheap" sounding fizzy high end, that's the only way I can think of describing it. My fingers are crossed that I'll like how the Engls sound.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #11904
Benson X

Hey UG! I just joined to give some love to Bugera.

I just picked up a Trirec last week (first tube head I have ever owned) and so far I love it! I was really interested in the Trirec when it was first announced back in 2010, but I had nearly forgotten about it after years of delays and push-backs. After it was actually released last year, I started looking reading up on it again. I was very surprised by all the hate and flaming that Bugera has gotten on different threads/boards all over the web. Granted, I know some of the reliability concerns and QC complaints are justified, but to me, it seems most of the backlash comes from elitist tone-boners (with deep pockets) that are simply going off hearsay and jumping on the bandwagon.

I got it brand-new for $540 from my local hole-in-the wall store - actually it was only local store who could order one and he was able to beat the price of any online retailer by a large margin.

Once it arrived, the store owner let me set it up in the store to make sure it wasn't DOA (my biggest concern after reliability/longevity). After it went through the initial power cycle and tube calibration, I powered it up and tested every channel/feature/knob with no issues - it sounded so damn good, even the store owner was blown away!

And just a tid-bit of feedback from the owner - he was an auth. Mesa dealer for 10 years, and said even they (the Mesas) would come back all the time for repairs, and he eventually stopped carrying them due to issues and also due to their bad dealer support and unrelenting adherence to MAP pricing.

I then took it to my brother's for an impromptu jam session. After about 4 hours of playing through it, I was in LOVE! The tone from this thing is incredible, and while I can only compare it to my trusty Peavey Special 212, it sounds so much better across the board at high volumes. The Clean channel is deep and rich, but still offers sparkling Highs and versatile Mids. I have yet to run any effects through it, mainly because the Crunch channels sound so damn good on their own! The 3-Band EQ on each channel and the addition of Presence and Boost provide limitless tonal possibilities to dial in the EXACT sound you want. The reverb is decent, but not as good as a classic spring-verb.

Since this is my first tube amp, I ordered a few tubes to mess to compare against the "stock" Bugera tubes. I watched Fluff's "Power Tube Shootout " and based on what I liked, here's what I will be testing out:

(2) Tung Sol 6L6 GC-STR (re-issue, matched set)
(2) Tung Sol EL34b (re-issue, matched set)
(2) Tung Sol 12AX7 (gold-pins, to be used in V1 and V5)
(2) Tung Sol 5U4GB (NOS, matched set, same mfg/date code)
(3) Shuguang 12AX7B's (to be used in V2, V3, and V4 positions) - I got a deal on (10) of them for $40 from AltoMusic, so I couldn't pass that up.

Anyway, I love this freakin' amp! Also, I didn't like how "flashy" the chrome emblem was, so I used some tail-light tint spray that I had to make it a black-chrome. I think it turned out really good, here are some pics

Last edited by Benson X : 09-08-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Benson X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #11905
Mazz-
100% METAL

Okay, I want to know... How does a Bugera 1960 really stack up against a Marshall 1959... (I don't care if we're talking about a 1960 Classic or a 1960 Infinium...) I know that a 1959 SLP is 100 Watts and a Bugera 1960 is 150-Watts, that's not what I mean in terms on "Stack-Up"...I don't care about power, I have my own PA system... I'm Talking about Tone & sh!t....
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010)
Mazz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #11906
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz-
Okay, I want to know... How does a Bugera 1960 really stack up against a Marshall 1959... (I don't care if we're talking about a 1960 Classic or a 1960 Infinium...) I know that a 1959 SLP is 100 Watts and a Bugera 1960 is 150-Watts, that's not what I mean in terms on "Stack-Up"...I don't care about power, I have my own PA system... I'm Talking about Tone & sh!t....

It sounds pretty good, but the reliability comes into play. I have owned and gigged Bugera 333 for several years. when I had no issues it was a killer amp and sounded way above its cost. But, and this is the biggest issue I have with them is their reliability.

No not every Bugera is gonna have major issues, but they seem to have more issues than any other company except B-52 (that I have used and I'm going off almost 20 yrs of gigging experience).

If they could get their QC in check I'd have no issues recommending them especially for the price the are new. But because of their price point I don't have any great expectations for them. In 10 yrs you'll still find Marshall JCM800/900/2000's for sale and they will work, I don't have the same expectations for Bugera, IMO they are a disposable amp company (when it breaks get a new one)

But yes the tone/sound is good while it works. Butr like said I will never recommend a Bugera to anyone because of my personal experience with them that was horrid. Buy a used Peavey/Marshall/Laney(insert favorite amp here) or something that will last as long as you need it

Personally I'd rather buy a used 40 yr old Marshall Plexi than a new Bugera (and I guarantee you'll have less issues off the 40yr old amp)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #11907
Benson X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
It sounds pretty good, but the reliability comes into play. I have owned and gigged Bugera 333 for several years. when I had no issues it was a killer amp and sounded way above its cost. But, and this is the biggest issue I have with them is their reliability.

No not every Bugera is gonna have major issues, but they seem to have more issues than any other company except B-52 (that I have used and I'm going off almost 20 yrs of gigging experience).

If they could get their QC in check I'd have no issues recommending them especially for the price the are new. But because of their price point I don't have any great expectations for them. In 10 yrs you'll still find Marshall JCM800/900/2000's for sale and they will work, I don't have the same expectations for Bugera, IMO they are a disposable amp company (when it breaks get a new one)

But yes the tone/sound is good while it works. Butr like said I will never recommend a Bugera to anyone because of my personal experience with them that was horrid. Buy a used Peavey/Marshall/Laney(insert favorite amp here) or something that will last as long as you need it

Personally I'd rather buy a used 40 yr old Marshall Plexi than a new Bugera (and I guarantee you'll have less issues off the 40yr old amp)

I love your response

Mazz- asked a VERY specific question about sound/tone comparison of the Bugera 1960 vs. a Marshall 1959 - your response "it sounds pretty good" is anything but constructive. But that didn't stop you from adding an addtl. 6 paragraphs regarding Bugera's reliability (which has been covered NUMEROUS times across many forums) and has absolutely no relevance to his question. Way to go dude! But what do I know, I'm a NooB that doesn't have any credibility here, nor am I on the "who to trust for advice" list

I don't own either amp, nor have I played either of them, so I cannot lend any feedback/advice, but there are quite a few videos with A/B comparisons as well as some addtl. sites with (actual) reviews.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sh...d.php?t=1166067

I hope this helps!
Benson X is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: