Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
rorymacpherson

Advice on how to improve my 'rig'!

Hello everyone, I am a pretty new user here and am looking for some advice on how to improve my set up.
Currently, I am looking into an electric guitar and improving my amp, I currently have an old Laney amp that is pretty good (as far as I know) handed down from my Dad and when I'm back at home (currently a uni student in England) I use my Dad's Marshal amp, that's a LOT better than mine. I also own an Ibanez Gio, it was a very basic model, obviously, and I purchased it probably 8 years ago now. I never really played it and have only been playing for 6 months, however I'm looking to buy some gear that I would never really have to replace, tips would be a great help.
My favourite guitarists are Jeff Buckley, John Mayer and Steve Vai. I don't know how much you can read into that.
rorymacpherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
plankboy

well, before suggesting anything, an approximate budget would be helpful to know
plankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Yeah, the models of these amps are important. Also, are you looking for a whole new rig? It is also hard since you haven't been playing long, what you need in a guitar or amp is hard to put a finger on, though maybe y'know exactly what you want.

Gear:
TBA
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

My advice, get better then buy. You'll undsrstand what you are looking for better. 6 months? There is a lot of problems with your playing ability that could be contributing to your dissastifcation with your rig. Cheers.
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

a few bits of info we NEED to give you good suggestions:

Budget?

Model names of current gear

Specifics on why you're unhappy with your rig (the more detail the better)

Other gear you've tried (again, specificity is good)

What you'd hope to achieve with new gear (listing artists is great, but Jeff Buckley and Vai are pretty far apart...)

the more information you can give us the better. that way, we can make the best suggestions possible (your amp issues, for instance, might be down to the amp needing servicing- given its age, this is a genuine possibility!)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
rorymacpherson

I'm thinking about a budget somewhere around £1,000 but I want it to last me a long while. I'd quite like a tele of some sort but if there aren't any that are good in that range that is fine. I haven't been playing for all that long at all but I'm interested in what everyone has to say anyway. Sorry about the brief OP I was just off to the shop with a friend to buy some food.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
rorymacpherson

In response to the last post I saw by krehzeekid I am much more interested in being Buckley than Vai if that helps.
In reply to your other points.
Gear I've tried: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez Gio (my own) and an old Fender Tele, of all of those I most enjoyed the tele, hence my point about wanting to try and get one.
What I'd hope to achieve would be to find a nicer tone, I play while singing sometimes and would like something that would be able to play either rhythm or lead. I'm trying to develop my lead playing so something that would enable me to do that and find a nice middle ground between the two.
My current gear: I don't know if there are many types of Ibanez Gio but the one I bought was roughly £120 8 years ago and has no serial numbers anywhere obvious. The amp is pretty small and says "HCM30R" on the face plate.
Hopefully that helps. To note, I won't get rid of any of my gear, I like it all but I would like something that would give me a broader range of options, my Ibanez is only really good for playing loud and my amp is very limited. Though maybe I'm just bad at setting it up.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Yeah, that is not much of an amp... or a guitar for that matter.

anyways, for that sort of money and budget, I would consider a decent tube amp (you'll love the sound and feel) and a good guitar. Here are some suggestions, trying to keep the budget down!

Guitars:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gl_tribute_asat_classic_bb.htm I have the american version of this guitar, and it is a truly excellent tele.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sta..._mn_bsb2011.htm it's a tele, and the price is pretty good.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/godin_session_black_hg_mn.htm godin's are among the most underrated guitars out there. this one is tremendously versatile and it sounds amazing.

amps:

Check out stuff like blackstars (the little ones), VHT, peavey Valvekings, orange tiny terror combo. there are a lot of great amps in your budget, so if you have a chance to play a few- get a sense of what you like and don't like- it would really help with the search.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
rorymacpherson

Have you tried any of that gear? It looks like that would be a good option to get at least some of it, the only thing I'd be reluctant about is actually buying anything from the internet without testing it.
What do you think about that?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
rorymacpherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
Yeah, that is not much of an amp... or a guitar for that matter.

anyways, for that sort of money and budget, I would consider a decent tube amp (you'll love the sound and feel) and a good guitar. Here are some suggestions, trying to keep the budget down!

Guitars:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gl_tribute_asat_classic_bb.htm I have the american version of this guitar, and it is a truly excellent tele.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sta..._mn_bsb2011.htm it's a tele, and the price is pretty good.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/godin_session_black_hg_mn.htm godin's are among the most underrated guitars out there. this one is tremendously versatile and it sounds amazing.

amps:

Check out stuff like blackstars (the little ones), VHT, peavey Valvekings, orange tiny terror combo. there are a lot of great amps in your budget, so if you have a chance to play a few- get a sense of what you like and don't like- it would really help with the search.

Incredibly helpful, you're an absolute champ. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

no worries.

Keep us posted as you test gear out!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
gerrywm

+1 on the tokai, almost regret not getting two toaki guitars instead of one Gibson they can be really good
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
rorymacpherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
+1 on the tokai, almost regret not getting two toaki guitars instead of one Gibson they can be really good

So you'd recommend this? Are they common enough to be found in shops? I've never seen one yet (I have very little experience however).
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

+1 on the G&Ls and Godins.

+1 on the Orange and Blackstars.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymacpherson
Have you tried any of that gear? It looks like that would be a good option to get at least some of it, the only thing I'd be reluctant about is actually buying anything from the internet without testing it.
What do you think about that?

i've tried the 40 watt version of the that traynor- from looking at the schematic, it's almost identical except it uses 6L6 power tubes and has a worse speaker (the one i linked to has the better speaker and uses EL34s, in other words).

I haven't tried that specific tokai tele but I have a (modern production) MIJ tokai tele and it's a nice guitar. Just had a thought, some of the fretkings might be worth a look too, some shops have deals on them. the tele/strat hybrid (country squire super S? somethign like that) is quite nice (I have that one, too).

Godin is a good call. Haven't tried that one but i've liked the (one or two) i've tried.

I've liked the G&Ls I've tried but I've only tried the USA-made ones. Don't know what the tributes are like. I'm not sure I'd pay MIJ-tokai money for one, though- normally if you can go japanese-built at a mid-range price point, you should, IMO. There aren't too many places that do the "pretty good value but still high quality" thing better than japan. Though obviously at the same time, judge each guitar on its own merits. it's not better because it's japanese, it's better because japanese guitars tend to be better. but i'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find an MIJ lemon and a killer korean- or chinese-made guitar.

I have a joyo vintage overdrive.

regarding buying online- it's up to you. if something is actually faulty, the store should pay return postage. it's a pain to parcel it up, but you shouldn't be out any actual money.

Arguably the bigger problem arises if the thing isn't faulty but you just don't like it. Under EU law you can return something you haven't tried (as long as it wasn't customised; there are a few other exceptions) for a full refund MINUS the postage, which can add up if it's international postage (i.e. thomann). I buy a lot of stuff off thomann, but I've tried enough guitar gear that I probably have a fair idea of what something is like even if i haven't tried it- if I'm sending something back odds are it's faulty, kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm

Quote:
So you'd recommend this? Are they common enough to be found in shops? I've never seen one yet (I have very little experience however).

where are you in the UK (closest city or county will do, don't go posting your address online!)? There are a few dealers in the UK, but it'll be dumb luck if you happen to be close to one, kind of thing.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 11-05-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
rorymacpherson

I live in Birmingham when I'm at uni and Cheltenham when I'm not, thanks for all the advice by the way. You are all extraordinarily helpful, I must admit I was expecting people to be utter pricks about the whole thing.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

rockem is in rotherham- that looks like a bit of a trek, but at least it's not south of england to john o'groats, lol. that being said, train prices might make it impossible anyway.

how about frome? seems to be not a million miles from cheltenham. they seem to have a tokai tele in stock. make sure it's japanese, though (should say on the back of the neck heel).

http://www.soundsoffrome.co.uk/inde...&product_id=556

EDIT: and no problem, glad i could help a little.

Quote:

Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
gerrywm

Quote:

My old guitar teacher started a company importing tokai to Ireland (http://www.guitarshopeurope.com) and he used store them in the room we did the lessons in and every one I picked up was top quality, really good stuff (especially that maple tele and the 335 copy on the site - I played both of those guitars the 335 is the nicest electric I have ever played)

On availability - I have only seen them 2nd hand in shops, Fender and Gibson will not allow any shop they stock to stock Tokai aswell. Your best bet is online shops like the one Dave linked or look online (gumtree or what ever ye use over there) and buy privately)
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: