Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Charvel Desolation: Worth a try?

I've heard great things about Charvel's Desolation series (namely the DS-2), but I'm beginning to hear just as many bad things about their quality control among other problems.

A music shop an hour away has them for sale, but would I be wasting my time by going there to try one? They don't stock the colour I want according to their website so I might have to order one online.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Roc8995

I think the only thing worse than driving a long way to try a guitar with crappy reviews is buying it sight unseen before trying it at all.

I know a lot of places let you ship them back for a refund, but that seems like a ton of work for a low-end guitar with a reputation for poor quality.

I will admit I haven't played one of these yet, but we've definitely had quite a few members posting here who were disappointed by the quality. I think the initial excitement over these models died down very quickly once people actually got their hands on one.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

The desolation series is plain awful, and I speak from personal experience. The worst QC i've ever encountered. Save your money and get something else.

See post #31 for pictures of the mess that I sent back.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...=1562574&page=2

Last edited by NotTheMessiah30 : 11-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

You might consider going to that store anyway, trying out the Charvel...and the other stuff in the store. Who knows what you might find? Or find out?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I think the only thing worse than driving a long way to try a guitar with crappy reviews is buying it sight unseen before trying it at all.

Good point. I might have to consider my other options.

Quote:
The desolation series is plain awful, and I speak from personal experience. The worst QC i've ever encountered. Save your money and get something else.

I've seen the thread of yours where your Desolation was in an awful state upon arrival. That's the main reason why I started up this thread.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
You might consider going to that store anyway, trying out the Charvel...and the other stuff in the store. Who knows what you might find? Or find out?

I was going to suggest that, it's not like you have to leave if you don't like the Charvel. Also it kind of defeats the purpose of going to try something if the thing you try isn't the thing you buy. The one you try might be great and then you order one and it's faulty. I actually buy all my stuff online so I don't get a floor model that everyone's played, so far none of my guitars (4) have been faulty.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
danvwman

Well I have a Desolation Star and am very pleased with it. The only 2 flaws issues I had were a pin tip size spot in the finish and a sharp spot on the saddle for my A string. The spot is so small you really never see it and a file took care of the sharp saddle.

All guitar manufacturers turn out crap, only difference in this place is if its a Gibson or Fender people will defend it and say its meant to be imperfect or thats the charm of a hand made guitar.

I would not buy a guitar without playing it and only buy from a place that has a no questions asked return/exchange policy.

Online buying is just begging for issues with this type of product.

And never go for the cheapest price, most of the time these are blems or inferior stock.

Play it, see if you like it and if it looks ok. If its a good guitar shop they will have more than one to try out
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

You don't have to leave just because you don't like the Desolation.
That's the great thing about guitar stores - you can pick up guitars and try 'em out until you find one that suits you.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I know a lot of places let you ship them back for a refund, but that seems like a ton of work for a low-end guitar with a reputation for poor quality.

true, though at the same time if the drive is long enough it might be less work to pack it up to send it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
FenrirFangs

That ****ing sucks. Charvel's are normally a name that you can trust to be awesome as hell. Damn them for closing the Japanese factory.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirFangs
That ****ing sucks. Charvel's are normally a name that you can trust to be awesome as hell. Damn them for closing the Japanese factory.

Yup, I couldn't have been more disappointed with the lump of crap I got that was made in a chinese factory. It was awful. I'm certainly never parting with my MIJ jacksons.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Ultima117

I have a dx1 and it plays fantastic, but people are not joking about the qc. It was ridiculous. My guitar had blue paint smeared on the back of the headstock and on the neck. (The neck and headstock are unfinished D: ). and had some really iffy frets and the nut slots were cut bad. I seriously doubt they even have a qc; with that said however, like I mentioned earlier it does play good after i fixed the issues. If I could do it over I would easily get an ltd 1000 series.
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
ESP LTD MH-1000 Deluxe in GREEN!!
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Ultima117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
All guitar manufacturers turn out crap, only difference in this place is if its a Gibson or Fender people will defend it and say its meant to be imperfect or thats the charm of a hand made guitar.

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheMessiah30
Yup, I couldn't have been more disappointed with the lump of crap I got that was made in a chinese factory. It was awful. I'm certainly never parting with my MIJ jacksons.

You should check out my thread on Chinese guitars, I think you'll be surprised. People have a lot to say about how bad they are but when someone opens one up to show everyone what's inside it goes very quiet.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
zilant

It's unfortnate that the Desolation series has suc poor QC. The specs on lot of their guitars are pretty good.

My local shop has a Several Charvels in there. All of them are the Desolation series. The star that I played had poor frets. Felt rough and difficult to play.
I plan on going there next weekend so maybe I'll try a few more out and see if there are any good ones.
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: