Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
I find that to get microphonic feedback out of my EMG's I have to physically touch the guitar to the cab and even then it's hard to get. What I'd try first if I were you is the old Ted Nugent trick; before the gig walk around the stage until you find the spots that give you the required level of feedback to do what you want and then mark those spots with a cross of gaffer tape.
Seems to me like you need to sort out this noise issue first. What you are experiencing is the problem that arises when you try to patch over noise with a noise gate instead of reducing the noise at the source.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I find that to get microphonic feedback out of my EMG's I have to physically touch the guitar to the cab and even then it's hard to get. What I'd try first if I were you is the old Ted Nugent trick; before the gig walk around the stage until you find the spots that give you the required level of feedback to do what you want and then mark those spots with a cross of gaffer tape.

What sort of style are you playing, for that sort of sensitivity/susceptibility to feedback? I know I'm full of questions, but you guys know a lot of the stuff I've neglected in favour of learning about audio engineering or other less-guitarey stuff

I admit, it's been a while since I've remembered to do that trick, though I used to do so. Will try doing that as well, although sometimes the setup times are tight and don't always allow for it if there's quite a few bands on.
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
I play blues/rock mostly these days but I spent a lot of my career playing punk/grunge type stuff.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath


That's interesting, and is at least secondary evidence as opposed to me guessing from YouTube videos, Thanks




I think I mislead you there. He had huge problems sorting out the sustainer. It had HORRIBLE feedback when engaged. He had to use separate circuits to stop it(along with 2 power sources).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
I probably should add that recently i have been switching in a second amp for my feedback needs, esp for what you quoted - Parisienne Walkways. When I need that level of feedback I kick in a 100W JCM900 combo that's sitting at my feet. A little bigger than a Fernandez sustainer but it does it right.
I'm pretty sure that Gary did the same thing. He ran multiple amps (DSL100's live) and kicked in an extra one before he hit that note.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 11-04-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #26
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
I think I mislead you there. He had huge problems sorting out the sustainer. It had HORRIBLE feedback when engaged. He had to use separate circuits to stop it(along with 2 power sources).

Oh, I understood you - I guess the smiley face at the end suggested I thought you were being positive about it, I was just thankful of someone sharing an experience with one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I probably should add that recently i have been switching in a second amp for my feedback needs, esp for what you quoted - Parisienne Walkways. When I need that level of feedback I kick in a 100W JCM900 that's sitting at my feet. A little bigger than a Fernandez sustainer but it does it right.

I guess that is a similar sort of method then, is it not? But yeah, in that case I can understand why you would need something to kick in the feedback in a more controlled/predictable manner.

I am probably going to make enemies with my neighbours, but I have the week off work with little to do so I could try and play around with different amp gain/gate threshold combinations I suppose.
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Do what I said about the noise problem first. If you can reduce the noise most of your issues will simply vanish.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Do what I said about the noise problem first. If you can reduce the noise most of your issues will simply vanish.

I will do, though that will be something I get someone else to check, so probably won't be tomorrow. We'll see though; in a way I kinda hope it is what you suggest as possible causes of excess noise as it would save me a few bob I'd imagine! The only dodgy noise I know of so far, and it's one that all my generation of Switchblades have, is the volume pot is a bit noisy as you turn it (i.e a sort of static-like interference, to some degree).
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
I will do, though that will be something I get someone else to check, so probably won't be tomorrow. We'll see though; in a way I kinda hope it is what you suggest as possible causes of excess noise as it would save me a few bob I'd imagine! The only dodgy noise I know of so far, and it's one that all my generation of Switchblades have, is the volume pot is a bit noisy as you turn it (i.e a sort of static-like interference, to some degree).


Sounds like a bad pot. Next time you open it up replace it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Replace the pot. When you are building a white noise generator you use the noise generated by a carbon resistor - that's what a pot is. A dirty/worn pot is a common source of noise.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Are there any other potential (no pun intended) reasons why the pot would be noisy like that? I only ask, because I recall reading a review of the amp back in 2008 and they mentioned the same problem with the test product they had, so I was under the impression it may be down to the circuit design more than the pot? I'll mention it to the tech though, and get 'em to check it anyway I guess.
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #32
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Crap pots, end of story. Even good ones wear out eventually though, it's just the nature of all things mechanical. Grab a Bourne.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #33
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Ah, fair enough. I have a series of things to go away and look into anyway - thanks everyone for your help in here
__________________

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #34
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Crap pots, end of story. Even good ones wear out eventually though, it's just the nature of all things mechanical. Grab a Bourne.


x2. Some amps are just known for noisy pots. I know the DSL401s have a reputation for that. Normally the volume and gain pots.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #35
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Every Marshall made after the vertical 2203 has crap pots. I had to replace 2/3rd of the ones in my JCM900. I don't know what they make the pot tracks out of but I suspect that it's extruded dog turd.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.