Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
RonaldPoe

Bla-bla-bla Major to Minor Transcription and vise versa

I've been watching Major to Minor covers on youtube and was wondering how you'd do that (without cheating and using special programs). For example I want to change "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles to minor or "Ex Lover's Lover" by Voltaire to minor. What would I do? Just interested in learning some theory and experimenting.

"All You Need is Love" (The Beatles) can be found here (for those who forgot/don't feel like looking it up).

"Ex Lover's Lover" (Voltaire) can be found here.

So got any advise (some help would be greatly appreciated)? Please answer soon.

Crash! from "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" (I'm a fan of that movie). Also he was referring to Wallace, Scott's gay roommate.

Last edited by RonaldPoe : 01-11-2014 at 12:27 AM.
RonaldPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
chronic_stp
UG's Libertarian

I would play the song in the key of the relative minor. All you need is love is in G major, so play it in e minor.
Substitute the chords on the left for chords on the right. (o is a dim sign)
G- e
a- f#o
B- G
C- a
D- B
e- C
f#o- D
chronic_stp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

You could do it the way chronic said (which is very confusing - don't use capitalization to indicate major or minor unless you're using roman numerals. G = G major and Gm = G minor. Also, the B should be minor.), or you could do it in the parallel minor so that it would still be in G. You could also do it in any other key if you wanted. Basically you replace the first chord of whatever key with the first chord of whatever other key. Knowing the roman numeral way of talking about chords helps a lot with this kind of stuff. I'm not really sure how to explain it concisely and don't feel like typing two pages dancing around the point, maybe someone else can explain it, but basically you label the chords of the major key as I ii iii IV V vi vii and the minor key as i ii ♭III iv v ♭VI ♭VII. Doing it this way makes it really easy to see the relationship of each chord so it's easy to transpose.

The chords of G major are G Am Bm C D Em F♯
The chords of G minor are Gm A B♭ Cm Dm E♭ F

I glanced at the chords here and noticed that they use a D7 a few times. You'd use a Dm7 there if you're transposing exactly. I'll let you figure out the other one yourself.

Last edited by The4thHorsemen : 01-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.
The4thHorsemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Deadds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thHorsemen

The chords of G major are G Am Bm C D Em F♯
The chords of G minor are Gm A B♭m Cm Dm E♭ F

I glanced at the chords here and noticed that they use a D7 a few times. You'd use a Dm7 there if you're transposing exactly. I'll let you figure out the other one yourself.

Nope.

The chords of the key of Gmin are:

Gmin Adim Bbmaj Cmin Dmaj Ebmaj F#dim

i ii dim III iv V VI vii dim

If you don't raise the F to F# then you are in the key of Bbmaj.

The dominant of any key does not change regardless of tonality.

Gmaj:

I - V7 - I
Gmaj to D7 to Gmaj

i - V7 - i

Gmin to D7 to Gmin

Last edited by Deadds : 01-11-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Deadds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
chronic_stp
UG's Libertarian

Diatonically speaking there is no F# in G minor. VII chords in minor keys are diatonically major, but the seventh scale degree can be raised to be a leading tone to create viio chords and major V chords, or to serve a melodic purpose with melodic and harmonic minor scales. Minor keys have a little more wiggle room with what can be chromatically altered

Edit: and yes, in regards to my hastily put together "chart" the B should be minor, not major.

Last edited by chronic_stp : 01-11-2014 at 04:07 PM.
chronic_stp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
The4thHorsemen

Yep, chronic is right there. Natural minor does not have a V7 chord, though you can use them because of the reasons chronic stated. Also, I just noticed that the B♭m in my G minor list should be B♭ major. I've fixed it now, but wow - I just corrected chronic's B and then immediately screwed up my own B♭.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Deadds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic_stp
Diatonically speaking there is no F# in G minor. VII chords in minor keys are diatonically major, but the seventh scale degree can be raised to be a leading tone to create viio chords and major V chords, or to serve a melodic purpose with melodic and harmonic minor scales. Minor keys have a little more wiggle room with what can be chromatically altered

Edit: and yes, in regards to my hastily put together "chart" the B should be minor, not major.

Be specific next time. There is no F# in the SCALE of Gminor. The KEY of Gmin has an F# with it's common use in the V and vii chords of minor keys.

Last edited by Deadds : 01-11-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Deadds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Tommat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadds
Be specific next time. There is no F# in the SCALE of Gminor. The KEY of Gmin has an F# with it's common use in the V and vii chords of minor keys.

Incorrect. Someone needs to review their key signatures
Tommat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
The4thHorsemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadds

You've tried to make a similar argument before. I recall that last time you were saying there was no such thing as a minor key and it went on for several pages. (I'm pretty sure that was you, if not then my bad.) It seems that you've modified your stance to a slightly less wrong one, but still wrong. If I play a Gm Cm Dm Gm progression then that is in the key of G minor and it doesn't have a F# anywhere in there. You could change the Dm to a D7 and the key would still be G minor, but that doesn't change the fact that F# is not part of the key signature.

Last edited by The4thHorsemen : 01-11-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
RonaldPoe

This arguing is really answering anything. I mean I asked how to change a song from Major to Minor or Minor to Major, not "There is no F# in the SCALE of G minor". I'd like a little advise, shortcuts, techniques, theories (about the subject of course) and stuff to do just that.

Here's an example of "Still Alive" (Portal) in a Minor Key. This is an amazing cover by the way.

Here's "Still Alive" (the same song from Portal) in a Major Key (the original).

That's what I'm trying to accomplish (with different songs of course). I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm still curious.

Crash! from "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" (I'm a fan of that movie). Also he was referring to Wallace, Scott's gay roommate.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Tommat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldPoe
This arguing is really answering anything. I mean I asked how to change a song from Major to Minor or Minor to Major, not "There is no F# in the SCALE of G minor". I'd like a little advise, shortcuts, techniques, theories (about the subject of course) and stuff to do just that.

Here's an example of "Still Alive" (Portal) in a Minor Key. This is an amazing cover by the way.

Here's "Still Alive" (the same song from Portal) in a Major Key (the original).

That's what I'm trying to accomplish (with different songs of course). I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm still curious.

That's a bad example of a major to minor transcription, not saying the cover is bad by any means, but the arrangement is completely different to the original.

The best idea, if you particularly like that transcription or any others, is to learn the original and the transcription and compare them, 99% of the time it will be in either the parallel or relative minor with occasional accidentals put in to make it sound a bit better.

This is the sort of area where even a basic grasp on theory and sheet music goes a long way though, so if you aren't up to scratch in those areas I suggest you study up.

If you're clueless about transcription in general, you could PM me and I could do my best to help? However my way of explaining would definitely require some theory knowledge.
Tommat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
RonaldPoe

Here's a better example for comparisons. The song is "YMCA" by The Village People (yes that song but it sounds good in minor). Please note that the Minor Key version is just the original song digitally altered but it gets the idea across. Also I'd like to know how to transcribe like that with nothing but a score program (I use Musescore), some paper (for tablature), and my brain. I'd also like a little walkthrough for this kind of thing (I'm having trouble finding anything on doing these kind of arrangements).

Original song

Minor Key version

Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
The4thHorsemen

You need to know major and minor scales and how to figure out the chords in each key. Then all you have to do is replace the chords of one key with the chords of the new key. You can find lots of lessons online about this. I seem to remember this one being very helpful back when I was learning this stuff.

So yea, figure out what notes and chords are in each key then replace them with the notes and chords from the new key. If the song uses notes that aren't perfectly diatonic then you'll probably use the same intervals or something similar.

Last edited by The4thHorsemen : 01-12-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Rate This Thread: