Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
fstkmaro

Just getting started. Want metallica AC/DC rollingstones sound

Hello all. Just joined the forum. I am getting started on this stuff mainly for entertainment and self accomplishment

Anyways, I got myself a KRANK REV1 head with the 4x12 cabinet as well as a 99 American classic (or std) strat HSS. I also have a digitech hot head pedals.

I want to learn guitar and I am fascinated by the sounds of the likes of metallica, scorpions, AC/DC, rolling stones etc. (I know)

So, today I fed the pedal to the clean channel on my amp and was impressed by the sounds I got. Unfortunately this is a large amp and needs to be pretty cranked up to sound well so I am considering getting a small one for my nightly practice. (I get home late from work).

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good setup with this amp and guitar?

thanks in advance
jim
fstkmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The Hot Head is usually best use as an overdrive pedal for a medium-gain distortion channel, rather than as a distortion pedal on the clean channel. Subjective to taste, of course.
What I'd do, to get close to the tones you mentioned, is stay on the distorted channel and dial in the gain to only a low or medium amount, then use a combination of your guitar's volume control and the Hot Head to clean up or increase the distortion and attack. The exception would be Metallica-style tones; for those, turn the amps gain up a little bit further and consider leaving the Hot Head on all the time.
For AC/DC and Scorpions, keep the EQ controls fairly even and all above halfway, except possibly the treble control, and you'll mostly wnat to stick to the bridge pickup with the volume full. For Rolling Stones, definitely keep the mids a little below the bass and the treble a little below the mids; don't forget to use your neck and middle pickups a lot, too. For Metallica, keep the bridge pickup on with the volume maxed, keep the bass high, the treble slightly high and roll the mids back just a little. The lower you have your amp's overall volume set the more you'll want to increase the bass and mids.

Bear in mind that a smaller amp may not be any quieter. Even a 5w amp with a single 12" speaker can be too loud for civilised home use. Additionally, smaller amps often simply don't sound as nice as larger, fuller amps anyway, so the tone at a low volume may be just the same. That's not to say that there's no point in looking at getting a smaller amp for home use, just don't expect it to be a dramatic difference. You may find that a more effective method of getting a full tone without earth-shattering volume is to get a attenuator and/or smaller/fewer speakers.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

imo, modelling amps like the Vypyr and Mustang do extremely well at bedroom volumes. You might be able to get one used for pretty cheap too, but I wouldn't get anything with a speaker smaller than 12", or any of the Line 6 Spider amps. I had a Peavey 6505+ amp, which is pretty beastly at higher volumes, but disappointing at low volumes. Since I'm a bedroom player in an apartment, I used a Vypyr instead. I ended up selling the 6505 because I will probably never use it at high volumes and sticking with a Vypyr 30.

Honestly, I kinda wish I had kept it an built and isolation cab to mic it, but I'm not too tore up about it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
fstkmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
The Hot Head is usually best use as an overdrive pedal for a medium-gain distortion channel, rather than as a distortion pedal on the clean channel. Subjective to taste, of course.
What I'd do, to get close to the tones you mentioned, is stay on the distorted channel and dial in the gain to only a low or medium amount, then use a combination of your guitar's volume control and the Hot Head to clean up or increase the distortion and attack. The exception would be Metallica-style tones; for those, turn the amps gain up a little bit further and consider leaving the Hot Head on all the time.
For AC/DC and Scorpions, keep the EQ controls fairly even and all above halfway, except possibly the treble control, and you'll mostly wnat to stick to the bridge pickup with the volume full. For Rolling Stones, definitely keep the mids a little below the bass and the treble a little below the mids; don't forget to use your neck and middle pickups a lot, too. For Metallica, keep the bridge pickup on with the volume maxed, keep the bass high, the treble slightly high and roll the mids back just a little. The lower you have your amp's overall volume set the more you'll want to increase the bass and mids.

Bear in mind that a smaller amp may not be any quieter. Even a 5w amp with a single 12" speaker can be too loud for civilised home use. Additionally, smaller amps often simply don't sound as nice as larger, fuller amps anyway, so the tone at a low volume may be just the same. That's not to say that there's no point in looking at getting a smaller amp for home use, just don't expect it to be a dramatic difference. You may find that a more effective method of getting a full tone without earth-shattering volume is to get a attenuator and/or smaller/fewer speakers.

Thank you very much for the thoughtful suggestions. I really appreciate it. I did not realize how important using the right pickup is. You are right, this amp sounds awesome at higher volumes. I cant wait to try some of these settings.
thanks again.
Jim
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
fstkmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
imo, modelling amps like the Vypyr and Mustang do extremely well at bedroom volumes. You might be able to get one used for pretty cheap too, but I wouldn't get anything with a speaker smaller than 12", or any of the Line 6 Spider amps. I had a Peavey 6505+ amp, which is pretty beastly at higher volumes, but disappointing at low volumes. Since I'm a bedroom player in an apartment, I used a Vypyr instead. I ended up selling the 6505 because I will probably never use it at high volumes and sticking with a Vypyr 30.

Honestly, I kinda wish I had kept it an built and isolation cab to mic it, but I'm not too tore up about it.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will be looking around for some of those models of amps. I agree regarding the speaker size, I have tried a few of those sub 12 inch speakered models and don't sound that great. I am also not a fan of the line6 spiders, as the ones I have seen sound good a the store but at a friend's place it was like a whole different amp. Not sure what was up at that time LOL.

Anyways, thank you very much.

jim
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Bhaok
The evil old man

If you are looking for a low volume amp give the Yamaha THR series a try.The tone this ghetto blaster sized gizmo produces are amazing.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
fstkmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaok
If you are looking for a low volume amp give the Yamaha THR series a try.The tone this ghetto blaster sized gizmo produces are amazing.

Thank you Bhaok. I will see if I can find one around to check it out.

regards,

Jim
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstkmaro
Thank you very much for your reply. I will be looking around for some of those models of amps. I agree regarding the speaker size, I have tried a few of those sub 12 inch speakered models and don't sound that great. I am also not a fan of the line6 spiders, as the ones I have seen sound good a the store but at a friend's place it was like a whole different amp. Not sure what was up at that time LOL.

Anyways, thank you very much.

jim

Try the 40 Watt Valvetronix+. I don't have high output pickups, so I'm not sure how the Metallica preset sounds with them. The AC/DC and Stones one sounds pretty good to me. It got a ten inch, but at bedroom levels I couldn't tell the difference between the 10" and 12" version. Plus the Wattage is scaleable.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion

Last edited by Shadowofravenwo : 01-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Sledgeman

Take a look at Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18. You can change the wattage between 18, 5 and 1 watt. It also has a built in red box so you can turn of the speaker and go straight into a soundcard and record or play with headphones. I play alot of 80's metal, Vai and Satriani stuff and this amp is very versatile and covers everything i need.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
fstkmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgeman
Take a look at Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18. You can change the wattage between 18, 5 and 1 watt. It also has a built in red box so you can turn of the speaker and go straight into a soundcard and record or play with headphones. I play alot of 80's metal, Vai and Satriani stuff and this amp is very versatile and covers everything i need.

Thanks for the suggestion Sledgeman. I will also try to check one of these out. My selection is limited around here (Boston area)

But nothing too big of a deal :-)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Tried the Metal amps on my Valvetronix. Had to open up the wattage but I could get a chugga chugga going on and I don't have metal style pickups.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
fstkmaro

I just got home and found this delivery was made. It is a nice Gibson with the robotic tuner on it. Plugged it in and the sound coming out of this kinds of puts the strat second on metal tones. Wow, I could not believe it. I am just a newbie but I also found myself somewhat more comfortable with this one. What do you guys think?

gibson 3 by jdevarie, on Flickr

gibson 2 by jdevarie, on Flickr
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Nice guitar. Use what sounds best for each situation.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10

Rate This Thread: