Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
JetPackBlues

New Song 'Loveless' C4C

The title track of the EP my band is releasing in a few weeks. It's still not quite fully mixed, but it's basically done. We're pretty happy with how this one turned out. Anyway, any feedback or comments would be appreciated!

You can listen to it here.

You can listen to the current mix here.

And C4C, as always.

Last edited by JetPackBlues : 10-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.
JetPackBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

I like the effect you use in the beginning although if you wanted you could turn up the backing instruments or maybe turn down the vocals (IMO) Your singer is very good! Honestly I usually don't like female singers as much as male for heavier music but she has a really nice voice. okay I guess it's not an effect. Try putting some more bottom end in the mix to round it out a little. Not to much or you'll make it muddy but as it sits right now it kinda sounds like the band is playing through a megaphone. That would be cool for the intro but for the entire song. In a nutshell I really liked the song it's catchy just work on the mix a little and you got it!

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565626

Thanks

Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
JetPackBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFreund
I like the effect you use in the beginning although if you wanted you could turn up the backing instruments or maybe turn down the vocals (IMO) Your singer is very good! Honestly I usually don't like female singers as much as male for heavier music but she has a really nice voice. okay I guess it's not an effect. Try putting some more bottom end in the mix to round it out a little. Not to much or you'll make it muddy but as it sits right now it kinda sounds like the band is playing through a megaphone. That would be cool for the intro but for the entire song. In a nutshell I really liked the song it's catchy just work on the mix a little and you got it!

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565626

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks for the feedback. I can definitely hear what you're saying about the guitars, so I'll try and fix that up. Listening to your song now.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
aaron aardvark

JPB,
My favorite part of the song is the vocals (good singing & melodies!). I also like the keyboards during the chorus. Guitar tone is a bit muddy, I think there is too much distortion considering the softness of the vocals (I realize you might like the contrast). I do like the distorted ending though. I like the drums better during the chorus. The electric bass is fine. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1565363
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Altitudinous

The composition itself, I think, is pretty good. The singers voice is really good and I'm definitely into the style of the song.

To this recordings detriment though, the mixing is pretty strange and leaves me wanting more. The vocals feel far more present than the music, and it should be more balanced, both volume-wise and panning-wise. It sounds like the music is mostly in the left ear and the vox are mostly in the right. You may find it beneficial to even out the panning to get a wider sound. Maybe EQ the music to have a bit more of a low end presence to help the sound become more full.

Besides these mixing issues, the song itself is awesome. Best of luck to you and your band!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
pinguinpanic

Writing as I listen. Remove the silence where the countdown'd be in the start. I like the background guitar thing with drums in the start. Maybe turn it up just a little. Oh that wasn't an effect? At 0:42 magic should happen but it doesn't . Seriously turn the rest of the instruments way way way way way way up there. For the intro it's nice for it to be a kind of background thing but this is where the songs start and you should get some power going. Where you afraid of going above 0db or something? Just slap a Compressor on your main bus for simple mastering and you'd be good.

Song is very good and the vocals are nice but you kind of messed up the volumes. The output of drum/bass/guitar should be as loud as your vocalist! Then you'll have an awesome song
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
JetPackBlues

After reading these comments, I've had a go at remixing it. What's everyone think?

http://soundcloud.com/kylestewart20...oveless/s-ADhS5

Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
rustausa
Hola 7

Thanks a bunch for the crit! I actually heard your "pre-mixed" version and I must say, that the new one is a big improvement. The guitars don't seem so distant anymore and they are pretty solid (along with the other instruments). I loved the vocals too! The only thing I felt is that they could have been stronger with the harmonization parts, but that's just my opinion. I'd maybe try mess around with the drum levels too. Maybe increase their volume a little to give the some a little more kick (but they sound pretty good at their current levels). The melody and the arrangement is awesome, but my favorite part of the song is the chorus hands down. It comes in nice and strong and is pretty catchy (its actually the part a person would look forward to hearing, so great job there!).
Overall, great song, nicely done!
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
rustausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
pinguinpanic

Your instruments still need to be turned up way higher. They are still waaaay tooo distant. I'm really talking about a like 10dB increase or something. If anything at least turn the snare and the kick up a lot so it atleast has some power. The music is very nice but this could just be so much better if the levels were set good, the sound itself isn't even bad.
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: