Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
xAfflictionx

Cant decide, Need more expert advice

So i have played acoustic for a month or so and im finally moving into electric. I have narrowed my choices to 2, either a Schecter Damien elite or a Schecter Synyster std. These both fit the kind of music i will be playing and i used to have a schecter bass so i know the brand. there are a few things im concerned about before i buy. The Damien has EMG Active 81/85 pickups and a thru bridge VS. the Syn which has a Floyd Rose and Duncan Designed HB-108 Detonaters. Which is better? My main concern is the Floyd Rose bridge. Im new and i dont wanna get over my head although i can say i will stay mostly in drop D tuning and not change very often. Can anyone help me out? I really want the Syn but the Damien is nice.
xAfflictionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
FenrirFangs

Don't get anything with a trem as your first guitar. I've been playing for awhile and still hate dealing with trems. Get the Damien.
FenrirFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

How have you narrowed it down to such opposed guitars?

Trems arent a major pain if you can be bothered to work with them or don't use varied timings.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
xAfflictionx

There's a schecter Damien at my local guitar shop and I play it when I go there ad I love the feel. They have a few ibanez I've played but I always gravitate to the schecter again. I don't mind learning I just don't wanna break anything like if I'm changing strings.

I'm not opposed to other guitars but I want something that will fit metal and rock ect.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
jpcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAfflictionx
There's a schecter Damien at my local guitar shop and I play it when I go there ad I love the feel. They have a few ibanez I've played but I always gravitate to the schecter again. I don't mind learning I just don't wanna break anything like if I'm changing strings.

I'm not opposed to other guitars but I want something that will fit metal and rock ect.

It would be best if you gave us a better idea on what genres of music you like. Metal and rock is very vague. Give sub-genres and maybe some main bands that you play covers of (if that's your interest at the moment).

Also, your looking into spending quite a fair bit of cash on a new guitar after just jumping in to the electric guitar world. Do you have an amp? What amp is it? If you don't have one, do you have a separate budget for that? and how much?
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I definitely agree with not getting a trem with your first proper guitar. My first proper guitar was an ibanez rgt6exfx and it's still the best guitar i've ever played to this day. I have a schecter synyster special infact and it's a nice guitar, but not worth retail price. If i could get it back for the price i bought it at i probably would.

The fact that you play metal (i assume you do, choosing those guitars and all) you'll most likely be changing tunings a lot over the years and having a fixed bridge makes that significantly easier.

I just don't think floyd roses are worth the effort unless you know what you're doing and will actually use the tremolo enough to justify buying it. Being new to guitar i highly doubt you will utilize the tremolo all that much so 99% of the time it's just gonna sit there.

EDIT:
Quote:
although i can say i will stay mostly in drop D tuning and not change very often.

I think most people would agree with me when i say you will change tunings. You're just starting out and your musical tastes are always going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
My song is in 4/5 thank you very much. 4/5 keeps it easy. It tells the drummer to break it up into quintuplets and play 4/4.

Last edited by vayne92 : 10-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
vayne92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
lemurflames
Resu Deretsiger

Save the trem for later when you have a collection of guitars and the trem can be on a permanent guitar for one specific tuning.

ESP LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
ProTone DeadHorse OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a cruel man.

lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
xAfflictionx

I wanna play bands like a7x, the devil wears Prada, blessthefall, Texas in July ect. I have a budget of about 250 for an amp that's separate from a guitar
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

What's your max budget, and what are you planning on picking up for an amplifier?

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
xAfflictionx

My budget right now is kinda what I can get away with before my wife gets mad. I'd say 700 maybe a bit more
Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
jpcl

Quote:
I wanna play bands like a7x, the devil wears Prada, blessthefall, Texas in July ect. I have a budget of about 250 for an amp that's separate from a guitar

Well I think you should focus the bigger part of the total budget on the amp and not vice-versa. Are you just interested in a low-watt level amp for house playing only or are you planning on gigging sooner or later?

If your only looking for something smaller, you could get a very cool 10-25 watt valve amp which would make any guitar sound great. Taking into account every aspect that affects your sound, from amp, to pick-ups, woods, etc. I'd say a good 70% or so of the overall sound is based on your amp. You plug in a Gibson relic in a solid-state 200-250$ amp and you'll be wondering why doesn't it sound that good. Plug a 150$ chinese squier affinity into a good quality amp and it'll shine on you crazy diamond.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
xAfflictionx

What would be a good amp? I'm not gonna be gigging for a while, a few years once my college career is over ad I can spend more money on the nicer equipment
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
jpcl

Quote:
What would be a good amp? I'm not gonna be gigging for a while, a few years once my college career is over ad I can spend more money on the nicer equipment

Do you live in a apartment or a house? If you live at a house, you could probably crank up the amp a bit higher then normal and so you could think about getting this baby:

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...-GIT0015547-000

These branded amps are built like tanks and with good quality. It's 40 watts, but being valve-powered, it may be a bit too much for apartment levels. But if you do live in a house, you could still push it enough for some nice overdriven sounds without being deaf, and you could gig with it later. It's also got a speaker output of 8-16Ohms, so if you want to buy later on a big cabinet you don't have to worry about being a new head, and just plug it in.

I don't know if you play anything besides those metal sub-genres, but this can produce the sound, while doing a lot more if needed. Check out the features on the link.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
dannyalcatraz

If you are not intending to gig or play with others for a while, and ESPECIALLY if keeping the volume low is a necessity due to your living arrangements, consider doing without an amp and using a pair of good headphones with something liked these:

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1169092.gc

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-...875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...306-i1401677.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...473-i1402140.gc

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...554-i1124641.gc

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...715-i1387080.gc

Each of those units is great for practice, having a list of features like a metronome & tuner, certain pedal/amp/cab combos, and certain unique variations like direct interface with a computer, acoustic mic, recording to a removable chip drive, phrase trainer, and so forth.

While that will cost the same as certain modeling amps, they are battery powered and small enough to fit in a guitar case, meaning you can practice anywhere, anytime.

And when you get around to playing with others, it will be usable with whatever amp you buy.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: