Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Johnnybizzoy
Megalomaniac

Guitar Center trade in value?

I've got a pedal that I acquired free, and because I'm not very interesting in using it, I might as well bag some money off of it to go towards guitar maintenance.
I know that putting on various online sites is an option, but I've got nothing to do today and I've got an itch to go to guitar center to grab a few things, and might as well get money in the process.
So I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with trading in stuff to guitar center and if they got a decent amount for it, which I'm not even sure if they take used pedals.
The pedal itself is a Boss AW-3 in very good condition. Any price is really okay, since it will always be profit. But if I'm getting close to nothing like Gamestop does for games, I'd rather take the time to put it up online.
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Johnnybizzoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

You'll get nothing. They'll probably offer you a quarter or a third of what the pedal is worth.

Sell it online and have more money to play with.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Johnnybizzoy
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
You'll get nothing. They'll probably offer you a quarter or a third of what the pedal is worth.

Sell it online and have more money to play with.

Makes sense, I just had a hope that it would be different.
Agile AL- 2000
Squier Stratocaster VII
Amps:
Vox AC30C2
Vox AC15C1 X
Peavey Vypyr 30 X
Line 6 Spider III 75 X
Peavey Blazer 158 X
Johnnybizzoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybizzoy
Makes sense, I just had a hope that it would be different.

Every once in a while with the right item, you can get semi decent value on it if you're trading in towards something, but 95% of the time you get nothing. It helps to know people there, is what I'm saying.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

My local GC here gets the average of what they are selling for on eBay, and gives you 60% of that average. I think that's how most operate, but a lot of them try to lowball way under that percentage.
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
FlightofIcarus

Most of the time, you'll get offered jack squat.

Unless you're in a hurry to sell, put it on ebay or craigslist. Might take a bit longer to get rid of it that way, but you'll be better off in the long run.
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Yeah I asked about trading in my carbon copy. They said they could sell it for 80 or 90 so they would give me less than that. I don't remember how much. Probably 50 or so. I would sell it on ebay/ craigslist if I were you. That's what I did and I got 100 for my CC.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
iamjcole

Hey gang, my name is Jeremy Cole and I work for Guitar Center as Director of Sales Programs. Guitar Center will pay up to 70% of the price we think we can sell an item. We'll consult ebay and our systems to see how the item in question is selling (be sure to check completed listings, not just listings) and at what price. When we buy something in used, we'll clean it up, put a price tag on it and try to sell it. If it doesn't sell in a month of so, we'll usually drop the price and do so over time until the piece finally does sell.

Hope this helps. Happy to discuss further if anyone would like. I can be reached at jcole@guitarcenter.com or 818.735.8800 ext 2115.
iamjcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

"we can only sell it for 100 bucks so we'll give you like 40 bucks"

Next day on the wall, the pedal is going for 200 bucks.

Quote:
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjcole
Hey gang, my name is Jeremy Cole and I work for Guitar Center as Director of Sales Programs. Guitar Center will pay up to 70% of the price we think we can sell an item. We'll consult ebay and our systems to see how the item in question is selling (be sure to check completed listings, not just listings) and at what price. When we buy something in used, we'll clean it up, put a price tag on it and try to sell it. If it doesn't sell in a month of so, we'll usually drop the price and do so over time until the piece finally does sell.

Hope this helps. Happy to discuss further if anyone would like. I can be reached at jcole@guitarcenter.com or 818.735.8800 ext 2115.

On paper this sounds great but in practice, this is not at all how things end up happening. At all.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
On paper this sounds great but in practice, this is not at all how things end up happening. At all.

"Well, we don't usually get these in very often and they tend to sit on the wall for a while and it costs us money (we can sell other guitars in that spot you know!) so I can't really give you a great price... What are you looking to get out of it?"

Quote:

Only at times, though.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
MatrixClaw
UG God

Unless your item is desirable, they're not going to pay you much, especially on a pedal - If it's a pedal that cost $100, they're likely paying less in wholesale than they actually offer you to buy the pedal for, or around the same price. Doesn't make sense for them to give you $60 for a pedal that goes for $100 new, when they probably pay $40 for it brand new from the manufacturer.

Same goes for mom and pop shops. They might be willing to pay you a little more, since they don't have the buying power that Guitar Center has, but they need to make their own money, too. They have to sit on that money they paid you and wait until it sells to get anything back. It's an investment, and one that comes a potentially high risk for an item they know isn't going to fly off the shelf quickly.

Simple business, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: