Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #41
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dae1337
Hi folks,

I'm the leader of a coverband that's had a few gigs and we're going to write our own music as well. We always have a lot of fun playing together but still we can't manage to get people to really respect and like us. Often friends will tell me that we were 'the best of the evening' and stuff like that, but still it just doesn't 'seem' to me that the crowd really likes and respects our music.
This could stem from one of two issues. Either...

...you're not engaging the audience enough. Just going up there and having fun playing some songs isn't really going to get anyone up and dancing unless it happens to be someone's favorite song. You have to gauge the audience's interest. If you're in a cover band you should be able to swap around your set to appeal to different demographics. Likewise, people are going to be less likely to make noise and move around if you aren't hyping it up. If you can tell people dig the music, but the dancing vibe isn't there, you have to create that vibe if you want them to dance.

or

...people are wary about you because they haven't heard about you or you haven't built up a loyal fanbase. Meet new people after the show, see what they have to say about it. The best way to build fan loyalty is to have real conversations with your fans and get them involved. This leads me to my next point:

Quote:
The crowd never dances to our music and they do to the other bands playing. Bands similar to us (friends) get more likes on FB than we do. Why do people say that we were the best and still, the way i see it, those other bands get more respect?
Getting people to like your facebook page will at best make someone feel like just a number. Of course, it is a tangible way to size up your fanbase, but it doesn't mean shit for fan loyalty. If this is one of your primary concerns, you should refocus your efforts. Like I said, talk to people after the show, take down an email address or a phone number or something. Set up a mailing list. Send out personal invites if possible. Make your fans feel like part of the band, not just a number.

Quote:
Oh and PS. one other thing: tonight i played with some other guys for the first time. They told me they were playing their own songs but it turned out they played all kinds of covers and i didn't know the songs.. They weren't better musicians or anything but i just couldn't find a way to 'get involved'. I just played some stuff randomly, they didn't tell me what to do and i did not know the songs: it was awful. I feel like i screwed up and i could feel they thought i was a rediculous musician. This is not my fault right? Why didn't it work out that well?
This sounds like their problem. I wouldn't waste my time with them.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #42
cheapr2keepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
How 'bout this set list?

Hole to Fill
Breaking Out of Hell
Shining Light
Feed My Animal
Trainwreck Zombie
Unbroken
Sold Out
Supermental Beatdown
Soul Exchange
Crazy Love
Angry MF

Best setlist ever! Actually, our band has only played 4 of those live, and currently only plays 2 of them. Most were my own personal dalliances with writing/recording, just to see what shook loose. Cover 'em if you want!

I AM in the 40 something demo, and I think that stuff I grew up on is dated or overplayed. Our band tries to keep a fairly consistent enrgy, and song selection is a big part. IMO, older stuff (rock) is usually more chill. Newer stuff seems to have more energy. I always try to choose cover songs that would appeal to a younger than me demo, since I am the oldest in our band, with the youngest at 30. Honestly, I could care much less about what I like to listen to, but I get more satisfaction when the audience digs what we are laying down as a band. If the audience is pleased, then I get more gigs, and Mongo is happy.

Personally, as an audience member at a show, I don't like to shift gears too radically unless it is all part of a carefully constructed dramatic flow generated by a well thought out setlist.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #43
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

I struggle with the transition between the two though. If there even is one...?

Seems there are two distinct paths to take from the very very very start:

Option 1: Learn top 40 covers. Get a huge setlist together. A four piece learning this from scratch would take some time. Which is cool. Get gigs. Omit originals of any kind

Option 2: Decide you will be an originals band. Work on originals. Learn whatever covers you like to help you in the songwriting/learning/fun process. Never gig. Get a smaller setlist together (Ive heard original band setlists are smaller?). A four piece learning this would take about the same time as option 1 maybe. Times not the point. Hit the scene as an originals band.

Either way theres the whole other thing of:
a) getting the players
b) keeping the players
c) learning the songs

...Ive gone into the realms of thinking out loud now....

I find it annoying that if Ive written a cool song then its a no-no to put it into a covers band setlist...but I agree that its a dance floor clearer for sure.... and the heres-a-bunch-of-obscure-covers path is also limiting.... meh....I'd rather play stuff I like with my friends and build up an originals set at the same time...in the garage.... and yes... make no money... but what the hey... theres beer....
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: