Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Indy_Fire

Legion of One-Metal

Been along time since I did some thing heavy, so I did one... borrowing from some riffs I did for a band I was in along time ago.
The song was called 'serverance' and I wrote and performed it once live. So I thought it was time I got that song back out there but in a newer form.
Bass was done on my guitar with a morpheus drop tune(best pedal ever for home stuffs) using line6 products and ESP guitars all processed through Reaper(best DAW imo).
Drums are midi and so don't sound as I'd have liked em too.
Also I ain't the best mixer of tracks so evel maybe a bit meh.
Kinda had a break from this kinda thing for about 2 years, been writing moslty blues jams.

Any thought and comments or general trolling would be cool cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/indy_fire/legion_of_one

Last edited by Indy_Fire : 01-08-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: new link
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
TidalReach

To be fair its pretty dam good. Levels aren't too bad at all in all fairness and I think the effects on the solos were spot on. They suited very well and flowed great. Would love to hear some vocals on this track soon though. The riifs were pretty catchy too. Glad to hear you are playing more heavy stuff, you do it well man.
TidalReach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Indy_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalReach
To be fair its pretty dam good. Levels aren't too bad at all in all fairness and I think the effects on the solos were spot on. They suited very well and flowed great. Would love to hear some vocals on this track soon though. The riifs were pretty catchy too. Glad to hear you are playing more heavy stuff, you do it well man.

Thanks for comments good to hear the mix is fine.
I feel it's a bit muddy not too crisp, would be nice if I could mix it better, maybe a mess with EQ.
Using plugins and amp emus kinda hold the sound back.
Plus midi drums are a pain to make them sound real.

As for vox, I can't sing and if I could my lyrics are borderline stupid.

Cheers thanks for listening.

Last edited by Indy_Fire : 01-07-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
JB95
I like taco

Well done!
I liked listening through your song, and I think you have a really good metal song there.
0:14 the notes sounded a bit too happy in my opinion, and didn't fit to the feel of the song. Also the drums in the intro are slightly confusing. The kick-drum should cut more through in the mix. Could be done by giving it more punch, and perhaps just raise the volume.
I like the descending chord progression idea in the chorus, but the third chord would fit better if the notes were in the major IV chord so it doesn't sound so dissonant with the harmony.
Overall a cool song, and keep writing songs like this, it rocks!
JB95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Indy_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB95
Well done!
I liked listening through your song, and I think you have a really good metal song there.
0:14 the notes sounded a bit too happy in my opinion, and didn't fit to the feel of the song. Also the drums in the intro are slightly confusing. The kick-drum should cut more through in the mix. Could be done by giving it more punch, and perhaps just raise the volume.
I like the descending chord progression idea in the chorus, but the third chord would fit better if the notes were in the major IV chord so it doesn't sound so dissonant with the harmony.
Overall a cool song, and keep writing songs like this, it rocks!

Thanks I'll try and work on the overal sound before I make a vid for youtube, try to clean it up.
I agree the drums are odd, they are like a rotating pattern but almost like it's a totally different time sig to the guitars, i dunno though cause I just play what I feels right at the time, or in the case of drums, program what I feel.

Cheers man thanks for checking me out.
Got anything you want me to crit?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
DancesWithSheep
Muchacho Moderno

Like the change at 0:31.

0:45 - nice short lead lick - fits nicely!

1:41 - like the guitar here...

2:35 - well needed change of pace

3:02 - Wah lead is smokin' chili!

4:10 - Like the drum fill

Wasn't listening through my regular speakers so I will reserve comment on the production, but if it sounds good on my laptop speakers then it is really nice on my studio speakers.

Great job!

Would appreciate a return listen if you have three minutes or so to spare!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580347

Keep on makin' music!

DWS

Muchos gracias, muchachos modernos!
DancesWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Indy_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithSheep
Like the change at 0:31.

0:45 - nice short lead lick - fits nicely!

1:41 - like the guitar here...

2:35 - well needed change of pace

3:02 - Wah lead is smokin' chili!

4:10 - Like the drum fill

Wasn't listening through my regular speakers so I will reserve comment on the production, but if it sounds good on my laptop speakers then it is really nice on my studio speakers.

Great job!

Would appreciate a return listen if you have three minutes or so to spare!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580347

Keep on makin' music!

DWS

Cheers that's a great review.
I'll be sure to check out your track around six this evening when I return from work.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Waff
UG's Waffle

I can definitely hear a Metallica influence! Tone is subjective, but imo the tone isn't wet enough. It sounds pretty muffled. That's all up to taste though. I kindof see what JB's saying about the dissonant chord. Try another one and it might fit better. When I write arrangements, I like to use weird stuff too, and after I make something more consonant, I ususally HATE IT at first! But overtime, I'll go back and listen to the old one, then listen to the new one, and realise how much better the new one is. Give it a shot, it's totally up to you.

Either way, keep going!
Waff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Gregjr22

Im really into heavier music and I thought this was pretty awesome. Nice guitar work man!

:45 seconds loved the Wah lead!

2:14 I liked the guitar harmonies used

2:38 Pretty cool breakdown

3:10 Awesome Wah solo

Over all I thought the track was well structured and solid. It has kind of a classic guitar tone, along with a lot of classic metal influence. Good Job man. I also listened to one of your other tracks, The lost and never found, and I thought it was killer! Awesome guitar work there as well.

If you have time, I'd love to hear some input on a track I recently recorded!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581719
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Indy_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waff
I can definitely hear a Metallica influence! Tone is subjective, but imo the tone isn't wet enough. It sounds pretty muffled. That's all up to taste though. I kindof see what JB's saying about the dissonant chord. Try another one and it might fit better. When I write arrangements, I like to use weird stuff too, and after I make something more consonant, I ususally HATE IT at first! But overtime, I'll go back and listen to the old one, then listen to the new one, and realise how much better the new one is. Give it a shot, it's totally up to you.

Either way, keep going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregjr22
Im really into heavier music and I thought this was pretty awesome. Nice guitar work man!

:45 seconds loved the Wah lead!

2:14 I liked the guitar harmonies used

2:38 Pretty cool breakdown

3:10 Awesome Wah solo

Over all I thought the track was well structured and solid. It has kind of a classic guitar tone, along with a lot of classic metal influence. Good Job man. I also listened to one of your other tracks, The lost and never found, and I thought it was killer! Awesome guitar work there as well.

If you have time, I'd love to hear some input on a track I recently recorded!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581719

Cheers for the comments guys, I have remixed the track again. Took out one of the guitar layeres, I think it was the one you pointed out with the clashing chord.
boosted the bass and drums to thicken it back up. And tried to make the guitars seem less bassy and muddy.

Improved track? - https://soundcloud.com/indy_fire/legion_of_one

I hope these changes have improved the sound.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Gregjr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Fire
Cheers for the comments guys, I have remixed the track again. Took out one of the guitar layeres, I think it was the one you pointed out with the clashing chord.
boosted the bass and drums to thicken it back up. And tried to make the guitars seem less bassy and muddy.

Improved track? - https://soundcloud.com/indy_fire/legion_of_one

I hope these changes have improved the sound.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah this track sounds much more powerful! Has a much wider feel and I can hear the instruments very clear now. The only thing I might add is that the kick and bass seem a bit quiet but that could be my cruddy monitors at their best. Overall I think it sounds much better! Nice job.
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
Indy_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregjr22
Yeah this track sounds much more powerful! Has a much wider feel and I can hear the instruments very clear now. The only thing I might add is that the kick and bass seem a bit quiet but that could be my cruddy monitors at their best. Overall I think it sounds much better! Nice job.

Yeah was a quick remix sounds great in the car, thought bass was there just no twang to it....all low end.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
JB95
I like taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Fire
Thanks I'll try and work on the overal sound before I make a vid for youtube, try to clean it up.
I agree the drums are odd, they are like a rotating pattern but almost like it's a totally different time sig to the guitars, i dunno though cause I just play what I feels right at the time, or in the case of drums, program what I feel.

Cheers man thanks for checking me out.
Got anything you want me to crit?

You actually gave me crit first, and I just returned the favor. But I'd be glad to hear your opinion on our upcoming demo anyway though! I'll let you know when it's out
JB95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: