Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
mohammed.alfala

New Guitar!!!

Sup guys! im planning to get a new guitar over the summer, and what I want is a good quality guitar for like 200-250 bucks, but i dont care about the pickups since i will be replacing them, So what im a looking for basicly is a cheap guitar and when i change its pickups will turn into an expensive one. Help!
mohammed.alfala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
ExDementia
UG Freak

Depending on how the used market is in your area, I would definitely look there first. You can get a pretty decent Ibanez, Schecter, or Jackson used for around that price.

Or you can be patient and save up a bit and enter the ~$500 range where you can get a seriously nice guitar on the used market -- like an Ibanez Prestige.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
ccannon1
Band Geek

A piece of crap with pickups that are worth as much as it installed is still a piece of crap.

Why do you want to replace the pickups on a cheap guitar when you can get a much nicer guitar if you spent the money you were planning to use for pickups on the guitar itself?

And if you actually want to go through with this, I think a Squier Classic Vibe is in your price range, not too sure though.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
J_W

Cheap guitars don't turn into expensive ones with a pickup swap. The rest of the guitar will still be cheap. Cheap wood, cheap hardware. Pickups don't make a guitar expensive.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
stuntman chris

Yeah changing pickups is an overhyped way of changing a guitar's sound. I used to change pickups a lot thinking it'd suddenly make the guitar sound like a million bucks. Alas, it did not.
stuntman chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

Location: Down here at the Pawn Shop what has been sold not strictly made of stone just remember that it's flesh and bone
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Cheap guitars don't turn into expensive ones with a pickup swap. The rest of the guitar will still be cheap. Cheap wood, cheap hardware. Pickups don't make a guitar expensive.

True. If you want a good quality guitar look at a price range closer to $350 to $500 used. You'll usually find pretty good woods in guitars this range (I prefer mahogany) and with a pick-up change (maybe a bridge/tuner upgrade) you'll have a decent guitar. I got an Ibanez S470 used and after putting some Duncans in I've been very happy with it.
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Robbin'TheHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
DannyV783

Squier classic vibe for sure if that's your price range, but everyone here is right you should never buy a guitar and plan to change the pickups before you even get it, you better like the sound of the guitar as is BC any change you make to it will really be only subtle and something only a trained ear can detect
DannyV783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
di$TOrTed

what kind of amp do you have, what kind of music do you like to play, and what guitar do you have now?
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
samuraigoomba

Get a MIM Fender for cheap, hopefully it will be a good one and you won't need to change the pickups at all. Or pay a bit more for a G&L Legacy.

Godin is another good company to look at.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
mohammed.alfala

Okay this is what you need to know. I like playing metal mostly, but i also like playing bluesy stuff. I currently only have an acoustic and that what I am practicing on my skill level is intermediate. I am looking for used guitars currently at guitar center, and i prefer a Les Paul shaped guitar preferably from either Epiphone or ESP (LTD). I do not like EMGs at all and i have found pickups that i like the Seymour Duncan invader in the bridge and a 59 or jazz in the neck. I am currently undecided about an amp. So far i have found a lot of Epiphone les puals in the used market but I do not know if i like them since they only have 22 frets i prefer 24.
mohammed.alfala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
di$TOrTed

Well it sounds like you already know what you want, and you are on the right track as to what to get regarding what you like to play.

Remember though, the amp is where your sound is at, not the guitar.
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: