Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
dcdossett65
Doesn't listen to UO..

Celestion V30 vs. G12H 70th Anniversery Speakers?

Im picking up an Orange cab, and saw they have a limited edition 40th anniversary cab loaded with the G12H 70th anniversary speakers. How would these comapre to V30's? The last thing I want is ice-pick highs, which I hear are common with V30's.

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
dcdossett65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

V30s don't have ice picky highs, but they have a rather harsh high mid peak.

G12h 70th anniversary are just your normal run of the mill 75hz h-30 greenbacks, they however do have rather ice picky highs new and really take a lot of break in time (I'm talking 50-60 hours of gig volume) to really sweeten the top end. But after that they sound great. The low end is very nice too, and very present and growly, but not overbearing.

Also, keep in mind that you're talking about a 120 watt cabinet (if you got a 4x12 as opposed to 260 watts with v30s) so you'll have a more vintage pushed speaker sound (possibly a little bit of speaker break up) with the g12h30s. It's a taste thing, h30s are my favorite type of Celestion speakers. Think Hendrix or Page.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
MrCarrot
Sup.

The G12Hs don't take quite as long as you say, al, to sound great. Of course a speaker's gonna have a breakin time always but mine is currently looking at probably 20 hours of bedroom level volume and it sounds great. I'm looking forward to the future tone. They're my favourite Celestion too.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Prophet of Page

V30s can be a little shrill when they're brand new, but I don't notice any ice-pick highs or harsh mid peak in my Cornfords now that they're nicely broken in. I'm very happy with them.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
dcdossett65
Doesn't listen to UO..

Hm, well im using a rockerverb 50, if that helps. I feel like its a trade off either way. I want warmer highs, non-harsh mid peaks, and at least a little tighter of a bottom end. What do you guys suggest out of the 2?

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
dcdossett65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCarrot
The G12Hs don't take quite as long as you say, al, to sound great. Of course a speaker's gonna have a breakin time always but mine is currently looking at probably 20 hours of bedroom level volume and it sounds great. I'm looking forward to the future tone. They're my favourite Celestion too.

I'm not saying that they take that long to sound great (I mean really, they sound pretty damn good right out of the box), but they take that long to fully smooth out the high end which is a little harsh to start off with. The g12h30 are REALLY stiff to start out, but I mean yeah, play them for about 20 hours or so and they'll start breaking in a little bit, but it takes some major playing time to really get that bell like top end.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Van Noord
Deactivated

Have you considered Greenbacks? To me they have even highs, warm mids and a big low end.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
dcdossett65
Doesn't listen to UO..

Greenbacks are a little muddy for me.