Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
vinhlamn

Feedback on my progress after 3 months

Hi all,

I've been playing for 3 months seriously now... This is what I have learnt so far... Please let me know your thoughts on my progress.

Able to play the following chords and switching between them efficiently...

C , D , E , F , Dm , Am , Em , A7, C7, D7, B7 , ASUS2/4 , ESUS, DSUS2/4, D/G slash chord,

Major/Minor Barre chords on the 6th String (Still trying to learn to play the a shape barre chord)

Able to play easy 4 chord songs / very easy fingerstyle songs (i.e intro for every breath I take) and a few easy folks/travis picking patterns / A minor pentatonic scale on the middle of the neck

Theory / Understand how chords are built, chord progressions , how to find chords in a specific major scale if given a formula (WS , HS etc).

Any feedback is much appreciated =)
vinhlamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Domguy99
Power/Symphonic Metaller

Better than me after 3 months, that's for sure.
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Domguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Doing a great job after only three months. Your progress is probably close to what mine was. Are you taking lessons from an instructor, or working on your own? Either way, good job and keep it up.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
vinhlamn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Doing a great job after only three months. Your progress is probably close to what mine was. Are you taking lessons from an instructor, or working on your own? Either way, good job and keep it up.

I'm working on my own. I'm using a few different sites including Marty Schwartz and Justin S.

Hopefully I can play some intermediate strumming and fingerstyle songs one day.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:22 AM   #5
yayapapaya38

I wish I can be as motivated as you. You are doing great so far !

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
yayapapaya38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
Wan Shi Tong

You're on the right track mate. Keep up the good work.
Wan Shi Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Keep at it!

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
ridire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhlamn
I'm working on my own. I'm using a few different sites including Marty Schwartz and Justin S.

Hopefully I can play some intermediate strumming and fingerstyle songs one day.

I'm planning to rely heavily on Justin.
ridire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
vinhlamn

Thanks for all the support guys!

Enjoying every minute of it.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
stueycaster
Old Guitarist

I remember I played for about 6 months and avoided the F chord like a plague. But then I realized I really had to learn it. Then I discovered I could move it up the neck a couple frets and have a G and a couple more makes an A. That was the beginning of my studying theory.

You're doing great man. Check out the Circle of Fifths. You'll be able to transpose songs to fit your vocal range and maintain the feel.

Last edited by stueycaster : 02-05-2015 at 07:03 AM.
stueycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
ridire

Question for you: at first, did you have a lot of difficulty forming the chords with your fret hand? I am having a terrible time, but I've only been working on it for a few days. I get a lot of clunkers at first...and spent about 15 minutes working on the D chord last night and never quite got it clean (did get the Am clean after some work). I'm just looking for reassurance that this can be overcome quickly enough to be where you are in 90 days.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
stueycaster
Old Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridire
Question for you: at first, did you have a lot of difficulty forming the chords with your fret hand? I am having a terrible time, but I've only been working on it for a few days. I get a lot of clunkers at first...and spent about 15 minutes working on the D chord last night and never quite got it clean (did get the Am clean after some work). I'm just looking for reassurance that this can be overcome quickly enough to be where you are in 90 days.

Yes it is hard at first. it sounds like you might be struggling against a high action though. Do you have a fairly good guitar. On some of them the space between the fingerboard and the strings can be too wide. That makes it harder than it really needs to be. But even with that you'll get to where the changes happen fairly quickly and the callouses build up before too long.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
ridire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stueycaster
Yes it is hard at first. it sounds like you might be struggling against a high action though. Do you have a fairly good guitar. On some of them the space between the fingerboard and the strings can be too wide. That makes it harder than it really needs to be. But even with that you'll get to where the changes happen fairly quickly and the callouses build up before too long.

Don't know. I'm going to take it in to my kid's guitar instructor next week and he is going to go over it and make any adjustments he feels necessary. I assume he knows what he is doing, as he was in a band in the 80s whose songs are in my iTunes library.

The guitar is a good beginner guitar, I believe. Not super high-end by any means. It is a new Epiphone PR4E acoustic-electric.

EDIT: but thank you a ton for the feedback. Another friend told me to make sure the string height was adjusted by a professional or it would be difficult to play, which is why I'm taking it in. I didn't know what he meant by "difficult to play", but you are now confirming that perhaps some portion of my current challenges are the result of this.

Last edited by ridire : 02-05-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
stueycaster
Old Guitarist

Quote:
Don't know. I'm going to take it in to my kid's guitar instructor next week and he is going to go over it and make any adjustments he feels necessary. I assume he knows what he is doing, as he was in a band in the 80s whose songs are in my iTunes library.

The guitar is a good beginner guitar, I believe. Not super high-end by any means. It is a new Epiphone PR4E acoustic-electric.

EDIT: but thank you a ton for the feedback. Another friend told me to make sure the string height was adjusted by a professional or it would be difficult to play, which is why I'm taking it in. I didn't know what he meant by "difficult to play", but you are now confirming that perhaps some portion of my current challenges are the result of this.

Another thing I just thought of. Are you sure it's being tuned to the correct pitch? I've seen some beginning guitarists tune the guitar too high. If the strings are too tight they're hard to press down plus it can bend the neck.

From what I've seen Epiphone makes good stuff. You should let that guy check it out though.

Update: I just looked up that guitar. It's an Acoustic with with an electric pick-up. Definitely let that guy check it out. Acoustics that are not set up right can be a bear.

Last edited by stueycaster : 02-05-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
ridire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stueycaster
Another thing I just thought of. Are you sure it's being tuned to the correct pitch? I've seen some beginning guitarists tune the guitar too high. If the strings are too tight they're hard to press down plus it can bend the neck.

From what I've seen Epiphone makes good stuff. You should let that guy check it out though.

Update: I just looked up that guitar. It's an Acoustic with with an electric pick-up. Definitely let that guy check it out. Acoustics that are not set up right can be a bear.

I tuned it with the auto-tuner. I assume it is tuned properly.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #16
stueycaster
Old Guitarist

Quote:
I tuned it with the auto-tuner. I assume it is tuned properly.

Good.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
vinhlamn

I had heaps of trouble with chords when I first played especially the "D" chord.

Honestly it probably took me a few weeks to get it right (ring out clearly) and then even switching between say a G to a D was still difficult and slow.

Theory is a must if you want to progress as a better guitarist.

I remember learning the F major barre chord and other barre chords one at a time.

After learning the theory I can find any major/minor barre chords throughout the neck by finding the root notes.

It's worth checking out "Guitar theory for dummies".
Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #18
ridire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhlamn
I had heaps of trouble with chords when I first played especially the "D" chord.

Honestly it probably took me a few weeks to get it right (ring out clearly) and then even switching between say a G to a D was still difficult and slow.

Theory is a must if you want to progress as a better guitarist.

I remember learning the F major barre chord and other barre chords one at a time.

After learning the theory I can find any major/minor barre chords throughout the neck by finding the root notes.

It's worth checking out "Guitar theory for dummies".

Thanks. Good to know, as I am beginning to thing my left hand should qualify me for disability benefits because it is so useless on a fret board.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #19
micks343

great job, wish i had more dedicated students like u
micks343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #20
vinhlamn

Quote:
Thanks. Good to know, as I am beginning to thing my left hand should qualify me for disability benefits because it is so useless on a fret board.

Don't be too harsh on yourself.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Don't forget to warm up too!

Rate This Thread: