Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #41
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ best thing you can do in the beginning is find what songs you can sing with in the most natural and easiest sense and this will help you determine your most comfortable range. once you find that you can work on expanding your range.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #42
lcphr3ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
yes it can, but the idea to that is to not loosen the vocal chords as much as you would while growling/screaming and to emphasize the singing with the diaphragm, this will give you a bit of an edge. Bon Scott actually sings alot looser than steven tyler generally. but again, this is something that practice should help you nail down how you want it to sound.

Ah, so tighten up the scream and sing through my chest? Well, if I can use your recording/tutorial to make a start, then I should be able to experiment. Thanks for the response!
lcphr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #43
gunsnroses0017

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcphr3ak
Ah, so tighten up the scream and sing through my chest? Well, if I can use your recording/tutorial to make a start, then I should be able to experiment. Thanks for the response!

Well i have been practicing screaming from the chest, and then the next day i have a heart burn like pain in my chest. why is this?
gunsnroses0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #44
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ probably because you're not doing it right

do you know how to sing from the diaphragm?
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #45
Martyr's Prayer
Hates his username.

Quote:

Also, and z4tweny correct me if I'm wrong, but it's important to resonate when you're doing that kind of singing. I normally resonate with my cheek bones when I'm doing a Rise Against type of break up, which I think is similar to what you're going for.

Of course any kind of loud singing needs resonance anyways hah.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #46
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Bass - C below the bottom E string to about C at second string first fret.
Baritone - G on sixth string third fret to about G at first string third fret.
Tenor - about C on fifth string (though often down to the baritone G) third fret to the high C on the first string, eighth fret.
Alto - roughly the same as tenor only in a female voice... a smidge higher...
Mezzo - G open third string to G at first string 15th fret.
Soprano - C on second string first fret to C first string 20th fret.

**all ranges approximate**

For more info on range, check: http://thebelcantotechnique.now-her...id=15&Itemid=30

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #47
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Ah, so tighten up

These bolded words scare me when people talk about singing.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #48
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiteTheFellow
I recently started taking vocal lessons, and after my last lesson on Saturday I felt a very drastic improvement. But now I've been singing so much that my voice has become hoarse and the improvement reversed; how can I make my voice feel good again, or do I just have to wait it out?

There are two possibilities:
1. The things your teacher is teaching you are good. You are doing things properly in your lessons, but when you try to put those things into practice, you do them incorrectly. You've just started. You might not be ready to do this independently yet.
2. The things your teacher is teaching you are bad for your voice and is assisting in you wrecking it.

CT

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #49
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
thought i'd drop in just to look around and lo' and behold my "how to scream" clip has been totally wh0red out which is awesome! glad to see its still helping people.

I thought I said this in the new updated thread here, but can't seem to find it, so I'll put it here.

That tutorial in your sig is, I believe, the *only* screaming advice I have heard on this forum that hasn't made me fearful of the inevitability of our youth inheriting the world.

CT

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #50
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADireStraight
Thanks a ton, again. I found it surprising that you said I was singing right out of my throat. I compared with some older recordings of mine and I sound MUCH less "breathey" now than I used to, so I assumed that meant I was singing from my throat much less.

I will look into those bel canto technique tips.

No prob. It is my pleasure to share.

The 'breathiness' of a person's voice comes from inadequate breath support. Ironic, I know, but nonetheless....

It's hard to describe exactly what to listen for in a singer singing from their throat, but in general terms, it will be a 'tightness' of sound, as opposed to an openness of sound. Compare Metallica or Soul Asylum (two entirely different vocal sounds, but each having that 'tight' or 'straining' quality to their voice) to Staind or Bruce Dickenson (again, two entirely different vocal sounds, but each having a very open, or natural sound to them.)

CT

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #51
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobysaurus
aha!
makes sense to me

thank you

NP.

CT

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #52
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenit
Can anyone suggest easy songs to start with? Preferably ones with which I can also play with (easy chords etc since I am still finding it tough to sing and play at the same time)

Maybe not the style you're looking for exactly, but a few easy ones:
-The Cars
-Tom Petty
-Sublime (what I got)
-Tragically Hip (a lot of it)

CT

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #53
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by symba05
Something that usually happens to me and maybe to other people here as well is when I hang out with friends/family and they ask me to play and sing something in the moment, I notice that my voice is rough because I really need to warm up first....

I know it'll sound silly but is there a way that I can prepare my voice or warm up a bit without doing all the weird vocal exercises that everybody will notice and make fun of?

I don't think there is a singer out there who can just fly in and sing their most challenging stuff without a warmup.

If I really want to sing to impress someone, (like Oh Holy Night, which is a terribly hard song to sing) I will rehearse something and warm up beforehand. But I don't do that for an informal gathering where I'm with family and friends are just hanging around and someone says, "hey, sing something." For that situation, I'll pick something easy that doesn't really require a warmup. (like middle-of-the-road classic rock or top-40 tune)

CT

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #54
esp1234
UG's firs-ahscrew it.

Is it normal for your voice to get tired? cause my voice starts out fine, but then it gets tired and starts struggling to make out the words. Is there anyway to fix this?
esp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #55
metal4all
Always tripping

Quick question, not really important....

I'm in no way a singer but when I listen to my favorite music I try to sing with it (like in the shower). Well, some days, after singing along, my voice will lose the low part to it. I can usually hit a low A fine but after singing some times I can only hit a low C (and if I try lower, my voice strains and cracks).

Again, if you have better things to do, it's cool. I'm just curious.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #56
Superstrat101

so i was testing my range and I need a bit of clarification. I can comfortably go from the low G on the 6th string to the high Bb on the 6th fret 1rst string. Does this make me a Baritone or Tenor?

Also, would anyone happen to know the vocal ranges of these singers?

Bon Scott - AC/DC
Brad Delp - Boston
Joe Elliot - Def Leppard

Thnx

Last edited by Superstrat101 : 12-20-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Superstrat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #57
metal4all
Always tripping

^I'm no expert but that seems high. Are you sure that's not falsetto?

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #58
JakdOnCrack
Crack head fo' real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all
Quick question, not really important....

I'm in no way a singer but when I listen to my favorite music I try to sing with it (like in the shower). Well, some days, after singing along, my voice will lose the low part to it. I can usually hit a low A fine but after singing some times I can only hit a low C (and if I try lower, my voice strains and cracks).

Again, if you have better things to do, it's cool. I'm just curious.

It's actually entirely natural. When you sleep, fluid builds up in your vocal chords. When they are swollen like this, you will have a lower range and lose your high notes. As the day goes on they will drain and you may lose your lowest notes, but also gain high notes. For example, in the morning I can hit a low Ab 3 ledger lines below the bass clef easily, but really struggle to get the D above middle C. When I was performing "Messiah" the other night with my school choir, I belted an F for the first time in my entire life. It was because it was around 8:30 and I had been singing for an hour and a half, so I was fully warmed up.

So yes, that's entirely normal to lose your low notes as the day progresses.

SONGS
Graphical User Interface

POEMS
The the Girl in the Cafe Next to "The Famished Frog"
Queen of the Flatlands

C4C
JakdOnCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #59
metal4all
Always tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakdOnCrack
It's actually entirely natural. When you sleep, fluid builds up in your vocal chords. When they are swollen like this, you will have a lower range and lose your high notes. As the day goes on they will drain and you may lose your lowest notes, but also gain high notes. For example, in the morning I can hit a low Ab 3 ledger lines below the bass clef easily, but really struggle to get the D above middle C. When I was performing "Messiah" the other night with my school choir, I belted an F for the first time in my entire life. It was because it was around 8:30 and I had been singing for an hour and a half, so I was fully warmed up.

So yes, that's entirely normal to lose your low notes as the day progresses.
That's pretty cool. Thank you

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #60
JakdOnCrack
Crack head fo' real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all
That's pretty cool. Thank you

Any time

SONGS