Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #61
BrockTandem
Balls of Steel

Is there anything I can do if my pitch is alright but my tone/timbre just doesn't sound good?
BrockTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #62
dylan_r

practice...
dylan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #63
hellforgother

Whats the best way to extend my range?

like, what do I practice?

Hell Forgot Her EP
Crit them? GP5 GP4 Midi formats

hellforgother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #64
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellforgother

Sing some scales. The best way I've seen is to sing say a G scale, then a G# scale, then an A scale and so on. Make sure you sing more than just a la or a number.
What I do is this, once through whilst humming, once through with solfege, once through with numbers and than once through with whatever whatever syllables I can think of.

You could also improvise a melody with your guitar and sing along to it with your voice, that's helped me a fair bit.

Also, I think drinking a little bit of oil and then a glass of warm (not hot, not cold) water helps. And don't smoke before you sing, it takes some of the high notes off.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #65
fenderplayer110

Can anyone's head voice be heard when playing along wth an acoustic guitar? When I play and feel that change between chest to head it feels like my voice gets softer and it can't be heard over the guitar. It's strange because anytime I sing a capella it sounds like there's a pretty good consistency when I change from chest to head voice. This brings me to my next question, how do I know if I'm using my head voice or if I just have a strong falsetto?..maybe that's why I can't hear myself too well when I hit those higher notes when playing the acoustic? Help!
fenderplayer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #66
Superstrat101

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all
^I'm no expert but that seems high. Are you sure that's not falsetto?

Positive I wasn't using falsetto.
Superstrat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #67
StillSoundRG
UG's Banana Penis

Do you guys know ifstuff like this actually works?

My idols are Hetfield and Heafy of, of course, Metallica and Trivium. But has anyone tried one of those vocal improvement dvds and gotten good results?

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
StillSoundRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #68
GzUpHoesDown

I have been listening to Ray Lamontagne lately and I would like to sing in a simlar style but I just cant figure it out. Is it possable for me to get close? any tips? here are some links.

GzUpHoesDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #69
The Rambler

It's just something that takes a lot of work and experimenting. You need to be able to be a little vulnerable and feel ridiculous sometimes when trying to get a certain sound.

For a sound like his, look into singing some folk, blues, and gospel music on the side, to work on that kind of timbre.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #70
Declan87
Craic Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrat101
so i was testing my range and I need a bit of clarification. I can comfortably go from the low G on the 6th string to the high Bb on the 6th fret 1rst string. Does this make me a Baritone or Tenor?

Also, would anyone happen to know the vocal ranges of these singers?

Bon Scott - AC/DC
Brad Delp - Boston
Joe Elliot - Def Leppard

Thnx

Seems tenorish to me. A baritone should be able to go lower than a G. Depends on your timbre i guess. You're definitely sure that your range is 2 octaves and a bit rather than 1 octave and a bit?
Declan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #71
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp1234
Is it normal for your voice to get tired? cause my voice starts out fine, but then it gets tired and starts struggling to make out the words. Is there anyway to fix this?

It is perfectly normal for an untrained singer's voice to get tired. One of the advantages to learning good vocal technique is that you can sing all night long, and finish the night with a stronger voice than what you started the night with.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #72
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
so i was testing my range and I need a bit of clarification. I can comfortably go from the low G on the 6th string to the high Bb on the 6th fret 1rst string. Does this make me a Baritone or Tenor?

This is exactly my range. Although, I can inconsistently sing a bit lower and in some instances grab the B natural, but for all practical terms, this is exactly it.

A few possible classifications here:
- pop tenor (a male with a voice high enough to sing most pop songs... generally up to the A or Bb-ish)
- lyric baritone (a male voice who can sing operatic material that incorporates and extends the top end of the baritone range)
- choral tenor (most choral stuff doesn't require you to reach the high C that is expected of a true tenor)

Quote:
Also, would anyone happen to know the vocal ranges of these singers?

Bon Scott - AC/DC
Brad Delp - Boston
Joe Elliot - Def Leppard

Thnx

Just guessing from memory here, but....

Bon Scott, I think, tops out around the A before he has to scream to get the note.

Joe Elliot probably tops out around the Bb before going into falsetto. I base this on the song She's Too Tough, which has the B natural, and they got a studio guy to do the vocals on that one. Only reason I can think of is that it was too high for Elliot.

Brad Delp - higher than either of us will ever be able to sing. Although.... he has really developed the transition between his natural voice and his falsetto such that it can be hard to tell where his voice transitions. It might not be as high as I think.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Old 12-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #73
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockTandem
Is there anything I can do if my pitch is alright but my tone/timbre just doesn't sound good?

Things like tone are developed through direct instruction and training. There are a few descriptions of proper technique at this site here:

www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Click on the menu item "how it works.'

CT

Quote:
Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #74
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderplayer110
Can anyone's head voice be heard when playing along wth an acoustic guitar? When I play and feel that change between chest to head it feels like my voice gets softer and it can't be heard over the guitar. ....

Falsetto, especially in guys, has a very distinct kind of tone. It generally sounds very 'girly.'

Be careful about the terminologies 'head voice' and 'chest voice.' It is an easy trap to fall into, but they are very misleading terms. The suggest that one is used exclusive to the other, which is not the case.

Here is a good article on head, chest voice and falsetto.

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-her...id=19&Itemid=30

CT

Quote:
Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #75
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillSoundRG
Do you guys know ifstuff like this actually works?

My idols are Hetfield and Heafy of, of course, Metallica and Trivium. But has anyone tried one of those vocal improvement dvds and gotten good results?

Hmmm.... I read the link, and was encouraged when I read the part about operatic techniques lasting for centuries because they work. I thought, "ah, good... " (despite the value judgment of 'annoying' but whatevs....) I was glad he mentioned that it takes the same dedication and practice to learn to sing as it does for any other instrument.

However, NO operatic technique will help you sound like Hetfield. He sings from his throat, which no opera singer would *ever* do.

And then I read this bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by article

You'll quickly increase the range, power and quality of your voice.

Learning good vocal technique is anything but quick. Anyone who is looking for a quick fix for anything in vocal technique will find themselves hooking up with a variety of snake oil salesmen that promise the quick fix, but snake oil being what it is....

CT

Quote:
Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #76
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellforgother

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-her...id=18&Itemid=30

CT

Quote:
Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #77
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands

I'm pretty confused. When I use my keyboard to see how high and how low I can go, I can only go from F3 to F5 (that's 1st fret low E to 1st fret high E), but for the most part I can sing along to people like Eric Clayton and Peter Steele. Why is it that when I'm trying to find my range I can't even go as low as most baritones can but I can sing along to bass singers?

D E N S E_F R E N E T I C_N O I S E

madbasslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 AM   #78
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

^No offense, but maybe you're singing the wrong notes? Or maybe you're harmonizing with them an octave higher?

Does smoking actually lower my voice in the long run?

I'm just a casual smoker, but whenever I'm with my mates I always have at least 2 and I notice I have a deep croaky voice for the next couple of hours, but it *seems to go back to normal.

I sort of want to learn to sing as high as possible so I don't need to buy a baritone guitar or a 7 string. I want a tenor range.

Another question; my natural talking voice range is amazingly good. My voice is deep (not black soul singer deep but edging on that) when I want and high (almost girly) when I'm asking for stuff. How come my singing range is only one and a half (possibly two) octaves?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #79
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
^No offense, but maybe you're singing the wrong notes? Or maybe you're harmonizing with them an octave higher?

None taken, that's something I've been thinking about as well. Unless I've found some way to sing wrong, I don't have anything in the bass range. Hell, I can't even go as low as most baritones when I test my range.

D E N S E_F R E N E T I C_N O I S E

madbasslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #80
jc71corvette
Avril Lavigne is a HOTTIE

Question here, who knows about speech level singing?
I think its mixing your chest and head voice into one voice. And your voice will not strain when you sing at speech level. My question is does this limit you as to how high you can sing? Any mainstream rock artist use this type of singing? Anything else I should know about speech level singing?
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
jc71corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: