Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #81
Superstrat101
Registered User
 
Superstrat101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
This is exactly my range. Although, I can inconsistently sing a bit lower and in some instances grab the B natural, but for all practical terms, this is exactly it.

CT


that's interesting. lol

I'm not really all that into singing though, the guys in my band want to do an Iron Maiden cover and since I have the highest voice (apparently strongest as well ) they want me to take a crack at singing it.

As for the other vocalists I asked about, that was just incase we decided to do some Def Leppard stuff and the other guys chicken out again .
Superstrat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #82
I'MNOOPID
Why's The Rum Gone!?!?
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hornepayne, Ontario
I'm a guitar player in a metal band but have recently had to adopt the role as singer as well now i've sung before and i usually do alright but its been a while and lately i'll get through 3 maybe 4 songs then i start getting headaches and it'll throb after each verse, am i doing something wrong? , is something wrong with me, no one seems to know , i'm hopefull that the UG community may be able to help ,

thanks.
I'MNOOPID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #83
Superstrat101
Registered User
 
Superstrat101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'MNOOPID
I'm a guitar player in a metal band but have recently had to adopt the role as singer as well now i've sung before and i usually do alright but its been a while and lately i'll get through 3 maybe 4 songs then i start getting headaches and it'll throb after each verse, am i doing something wrong? , is something wrong with me, no one seems to know , i'm hopefull that the UG community may be able to help ,

thanks.


You're probly pushing too hard for your body to handle, lighten it up or do a few and rotate singers in your band. That's my excuse when our lead vocalist doesn't show up

Just practice more and you won't get the headaches as often.
Superstrat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #84
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Careful there.... if you keep 'practicing' the wrong things, then your voice will only continue to get worse. You are clearly straining too much, and if you are getting those symptoms after only a handful of songs, you will be well on the road to nodes before you know it.

You need to learn proper technique.

Now... speaking of....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc71corvette
Question here, who knows about speech level singing?
I think its mixing your chest and head voice into one voice. And your voice will not strain when you sing at speech level. My question is does this limit you as to how high you can sing? Any mainstream rock artist use this type of singing? Anything else I should know about speech level singing?


From the little bit I know about SLS, it sounds like it has a lot in common with Bel Canto. The bit about mixing your chest voice and head voice into one voice, and developing consistency across that range; and not straining sounds a lot like it. Check yourself at www.thebelcantotechnique.com and see. I'm curious as to how the two techniques are different. I'll bet that SLS has nothing to do with the inhalation of the voice, but that's a whole other bag of tricks.

Bel Canto doesn't limit your range whatsoever. If you are singing with proper technique, your range will increase. It will have no choice. When your range is limited, it is because you are doing something to limit it. Remove those barriers with good technique, and you will improve that.

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #85
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstrat101
that's interesting. lol

I'm not really all that into singing though, the guys in my band want to do an Iron Maiden cover and since I have the highest voice (apparently strongest as well ) they want me to take a crack at singing it.

As for the other vocalists I asked about, that was just incase we decided to do some Def Leppard stuff and the other guys chicken out again .


I'd give Def Leppard a try. Maiden.... I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I love Maiden, but it would kill my voice.

I mean, if you know what your range is, and a song consistently asks you to nail notes three whole frets higher than your highest note on a good day, you're done. It's like asking someone whose maximum bench pressing weight is 200 pounds and giving him 250 pounds and saying, "It's only an extra 50 pounds, why don't you try it?" (erm... because I'll dislocate my elbows, drop the thing, and crush my neck... )

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #86
Superstrat101
Registered User
 
Superstrat101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
I'd give Def Leppard a try. Maiden.... I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I love Maiden, but it would kill my voice.

I mean, if you know what your range is, and a song consistently asks you to nail notes three whole frets higher than your highest note on a good day, you're done. It's like asking someone whose maximum bench pressing weight is 200 pounds and giving him 250 pounds and saying, "It's only an extra 50 pounds, why don't you try it?" (erm... because I'll dislocate my elbows, drop the thing, and crush my neck... )

CT


I like your analogy there. I was a little sketchy on maiden anyway, it's almost like trying to sing Rush stuff... you need to be "that guy". Anyway, yeah thanks for actually responding to me
Superstrat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #87
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
no prob



CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #88
CowboyUp
Banned
 
CowboyUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: At the local Kum and Go
Any tips for beefing up growled highs? I can do them, but they tend to be airy and raspy, compared to my lows which are pretty booming and heavy.
CowboyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #89
cubs
x
 
cubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: mexico city
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
^No offense, but maybe you're singing the wrong notes? Or maybe you're harmonizing with them an octave higher?

Does smoking actually lower my voice in the long run?

I'm just a casual smoker, but whenever I'm with my mates I always have at least 2 and I notice I have a deep croaky voice for the next couple of hours, but it *seems to go back to normal.

I sort of want to learn to sing as high as possible so I don't need to buy a baritone guitar or a 7 string. I want a tenor range.

Another question; my natural talking voice range is amazingly good. My voice is deep (not black soul singer deep but edging on that) when I want and high (almost girly) when I'm asking for stuff. How come my singing range is only one and a half (possibly two) octaves?


have you only recently started singing? it may be that you haven't found your "true" voice yet. When i first started singing i could only sing up to a D# (4th fret B string), singing the E above it seemed impossible. then, after about 1-3 months (no idea actually), i noticed i could sing the E and even up to the G on the first string 3rd fret. Now, i dont really think that i *expanded* my range that much in such a short time. i think i got more comfortable with singing that i found my true singing voice, instead. i just sang and practiced breathing and the next thing i knew i could sing a bit higher (i can go even higher now). so maybe give it some time?
however if that is indeed your range, dont feel bad. most modern pop songs dont go past 1.5 octave in range.
also, smoking does affect your high notes in most cases. but then, again theres guys like paul mccartney who have been smoking for quiet some time and can still sing their high Cs.
cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #90
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
 
axemanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
What song does McCartney sing a high C in?

I had no idea he could sing that high. (unless you mean in falsetto, which doesn't count)

CT
__________________
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #91
demonofthenight
UG Spammer
 
demonofthenight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs
have you only recently started singing? it may be that you haven't found your "true" voice yet. When i first started singing i could only sing up to a D# (4th fret B string), singing the E above it seemed impossible. then, after about 1-3 months (no idea actually), i noticed i could sing the E and even up to the G on the first string 3rd fret. Now, i dont really think that i *expanded* my range that much in such a short time. i think i got more comfortable with singing that i found my true singing voice, instead. i just sang and practiced breathing and the next thing i knew i could sing a bit higher (i can go even higher now). so maybe give it some time?
however if that is indeed your range, dont feel bad. most modern pop songs dont go past 1.5 octave in range.
also, smoking does affect your high notes in most cases. but then, again theres guys like paul mccartney who have been smoking for quiet some time and can still sing their high Cs.
Yeah I just started. I was hoping I could teach myself to sing. I taught myself guitar, counterpoint and chromatic harmonica (more of a novelty which became serious). All with the help of the internet.
I know what Chris said in on his website and before, that you can't teach yourself how to sing. But I can't afford a singing teacher.

I really want to be a tenor. It's easier to write for imo.

I'll just keep singing my scales, maybe that will help. I'll also reread Chris's bel canto stuff.
__________________
Code:
, |\ | | |/ .-. /|_ `- | //| \ | | | \|_ | | .-| *-|-* (_) `- | L.
demonofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #92
vocal_johnny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyUp
Any tips for beefing up growled highs? I can do them, but they tend to be airy and raspy, compared to my lows which are pretty booming and heavy.


growled highs? as in like COB kind of stuff? or arch enemy?

try inhaling with your diaphragm but imagine the air staying in a large pocket in your lower back. from here you can do several things. you can do a loud screech (alexi laiho), a very "growly" high (angela glossow), or very easily shred your throat. make sure that the growl is nowhere near your throat. see if you can visualize it going up your neck bone and resonating as if you were belting a high note. if you are looking for more of a scream like phil labonte (all that remains), then try cracking your false cords in a way that feels like the cracking is resonating (and indeed originating) above your nose.

not sure if this helped at all but it was worth a shot.
vocal_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #93
cubs
x
 
cubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: mexico city
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
What song does McCartney sing a high C in?

I had no idea he could sing that high. (unless you mean in falsetto, which doesn't count)

CT


doesn't he get to that C on helter skelter? also on maybe i'm amazed (not beatles), he seems to go even higher. im not 100% positive that its not in falsetto, however. please confirm either way if you can.
cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 AM   #94
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands
 
madbasslover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Everywhere at once, and I will cut you up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocal_johnny
growled highs? as in like COB kind of stuff? or arch enemy?

try inhaling with your diaphragm but imagine the air staying in a large pocket in your lower back. from here you can do several things. you can do a loud screech (alexi laiho), a very "growly" high (angela glossow), or very easily shred your throat. make sure that the growl is nowhere near your throat. see if you can visualize it going up your neck bone and resonating as if you were belting a high note. if you are looking for more of a scream like phil labonte (all that remains), then try cracking your false cords in a way that feels like the cracking is resonating (and indeed originating) above your nose.

not sure if this helped at all but it was worth a shot.


Growling/screaming questions aren't supposed to be asked in here, and if they are, they're not supposed to be answered.

Also, unless I'm sorely mistaken about false cords, the type of scream done by Phil Labonte does not use them. Also, if someone doesn't know how to use false cords, I don't think there's any way to really teach them how. I've been able to use mine my entire life and trying to teach somebody else how to use them would be like describing sight to a blind man.
__________________
يوجد خط واضح بين الحب و الغثيان

D E N S E_F R E N E T I C_N O I S E

madbasslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #95
StillSoundRG
UG's Banana Penis
 
StillSoundRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Racine, WI
Hey guys, I'm in a hard rock/metal band, we were a 4 piece band minus a singer, but then the bassist left, so now it's me (rhythm guitar), some guy that plays another guitar, and some tall guy banging on some drums. Our biggest influence is Metallica, so they want to remain a 4 peice band, and want me to be James Hetfield someday...right...anyways I recorded just a very small part to Trivium's Dying In Your Arms song, basically just to see where my VERY limited range is at.

Dying In Your Arms vocal attempt

I'm hoping to take voice lessons very soon, but I'd really appreciate your guys comments and expertise on what I'm doing wrong or right, from what you can tell in this recording.

The actual song is panned 100% left so you can hear the song, but dropped 7 dB, and i'm 100% right, boosted like 1.1 dB, so you can clearly distinguish them.

I know it's not great, or even good, it's basically my first time trying this. But...yeah, please let me know what you think, either in the thread or on my page.
__________________
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
StillSoundRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #96
YetAnotherMuso
Registered User
 
YetAnotherMuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillSoundRG
I know it's not great, or even good.


Dude, if you seriously think that you have to boost your self-esteem a bit...I'm not really a Matt Heafy fan but that was an impressive cover! The issues are minor, and if you end up getting that vocal coach they would be easy to fix. As a listener these were a couple of things that caught my attention:

1. It sounded like you had two modes: melodic and harsh vocals, and the difference between them was very clear cut. If you mixed it up a bit and really accentuated some emotional parts over others "and NOW i see it's YOU that's TEARING me...this is me DYING in your arms" etc and introduced some more melody into your harsh bits it would make you sound more in control, and less like your harsh vocals are a speeding train that you just ride from the start of the chorus to the end.

2. Slight pitch wobbles in the melodic singing, sounds again a little like you're unsure of yourself.

Those were just a couple of things that I heard that separated your performance from Heafy's. Fix those up and man you've got a killer vocal track. Well done.
YetAnotherMuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #97
AmplifySilence
Untitled
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: En la costa del silencio
Alright, any tips on creating your own singing style?
__________________
"Those who are looking backwards
Chose to live as statues.
Broken. Fractured.
Youthful laughter fades."
-10 Years

My Latest Writing
AmplifySilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #98
scream92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
How to sing like Tom Delonge (blink182). Please give me some tips!!!
scream92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #99
Martyr's Prayer
Hates his username.
 
Martyr's Prayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmplifySilence
Alright, any tips on creating your own singing style?


Hhhhmmm, well I guess it just depends on what you've been given. Everyone's voice is different in at least some way, but some more than others. Mine has a different sound to it, but I also am making my own style out of incorporating a very wide arrange of sounds. Clean, dirty, low guttural screaming, pitched screaming, "yelling," falsetto - I try to incorporate all of those sounds at least once in all of my songs. In a good way though; in a way that will really enhance the delivery of the lyrics.

So that's how I'm going about creating my own style. But as I said, my cleans do have a different sound to them as well, but nothing I did made that happen. It's just my voice. So I guess that's all I can say about it. Just do your best to bring out whatever it is in your voice, no matter how small, that other people don't have.
__________________
We're only strays.
Martyr's Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #100
Martyr's Prayer
Hates his username.
 
Martyr's Prayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by scream92
How to sing like Tom Delonge (blink182). Please give me some tips!!!


Well obviously you'll have to know how to sing well to get his clear sound. I guess mainly just really really enunciate stuff, you know? He sings every word very clearly so you can hear it. There's not to much help that others can give you if you're trying to emulate another singer. Just listen to him sing a whole lot, sing along, and just try to sound like him. There are more subconscious things that go into singing than there are deliberate manipulations.
__________________
We're only strays.
Martyr's Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.