Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
madstrummer95

Cool Tabs for beginners

yo
im a new guitarist and i just started about 4 days ago
i was wondering wat tabs r the easiest for a newbie like me
madstrummer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Metallicaxp
Floating through time

Smoke on the Water
Smells like Teen Spirit
Iron Man
Metallicaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Assassin1680
The End Of Us All

Old SG Mock
Assassin1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
ortrigger
UG's other Mormon

+1 to Smoke on the Water and Iron Man. Also try looking at some Boston. They have some pretty simple stuff.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
ortrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
metalminded07
Resident GP5 Expert.

smells like teen spirit
metalminded07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Guitar_tischler
Huis.Boom.BEEST

Seven nation army
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
benomino324
Tremonti Jr.

Anything by Blink-182 is easy.
benomino324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
MegaShibbyDeth
MEGADETH > metallica

The main riff of In a Gadda Da Vida is pretty easy to learn. I think it was the second thing I learned after Smoke on the Water. Also try South of Heaven. Haha. Sounds weird because it's Slayer, but just try the main riff. Simple stuff.
MegaShibbyDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
szekelymihai
Bass Kid

and here we go again...

Would you listen to this and maybe crit?I'd do the same way for you

And if you've got any sort of problems, Ask Guru Pete

You will click this...
szekelymihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
SUICIDALS0ULJA

Smoke on the water - Deep Purple.
Fell in love with a girl + Seven Nation Army - White Stripes.
Like a Stone - Audioslave.

Also the first thing I learnt was Plug in Baby main riff, by muse, but i guess thats just because i practised it instead of scales/chords and such
SUICIDALS0ULJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
madstrummer95

alright thanks a lot
i appriciate it
madstrummer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Wondewall7
Check out my Blog

if you need help with strumming patterns just check out my blog and also I take requests

Check it out.
Wondewall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
AngrySockMonkey
Straight Outta Compton

Diminished to B by Necrophagist, usually a good starting piece. Get's you informed somewhat on time signatures and a lot of techniques.

Seriously though, any rock song.. ever. Just stay away from the solos and you should be fine.

AC/DC, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc.

I'd suggest Electric Funeral by Sabbath.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
Uber Man
I <3 Four Strings

LEARN CHORDS! its so helpfull to know how to build chords, even for a bassist like me
Uber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Ailes

Hi.
The best thing you can do is actually learn songs YOU LIKE. Surely you already do have a musical taste and favorite bands. In fact, just think of the reason why YOU wanted to learn guitar at all and what you had in mind (more than girls, I hope). It's a simple motivational issue, you'll be happier (and isn't that the whole goal) if you do stuff you like!
It's also a simple practical issue, as for example you don't actually need to learn a Bach cantata if all you really want to play is "Anarchy in the UK", and vice versa.
So, find out what you like (and tell us, if you want answers that are actually meaningful to you), and look for some easy songs in that style, and the techniques you need to develop to play those songs. For the most part, many styles have certain characteristics you need to master, say for example metal you need to pull of a constant palm-muted downpicking, etc., blues needs a shuffle-rhythm, jazz has some demanding chordshapes, and so on... all these things can then be practiced separately from songs to master and then applied to musical examples.

As a guitar teacher I'm often confronted with what to learn. Through my time, I've seen it's best to build a simple but meaningful foundation at first, no matter what style you are going into. That means getting to know basic open chords at first, you know, your C, your D, G, A and so on. And a few right-hand strumming patterns. Besides the simple fact that this teaches you the basics of fingering and rhythm in an accessible manner, it gets rewards almost immediately and no matter where you want to end up after some time enables you to access a wide library of basic pop/rock songs that can be played anywhere anytime. Think of the "campfire" situation. Nobody cares how fast the 2-3 metalsongs you know are, they want "Horse With no Name", "Heart of Gold" and "Hotel California" etc.
Especially when you're barely starting out, this is the best thing you can do and in it's simplicity (but versability) a great confidence builder. Other things to pick up on are tuning, string-changing and other basic guitar maintenance. For all that stuff nowadays kids have it so much easier, as there's a wide array of information available at their fingertips, with lessons on the net, videos on youtube, etc. Everyb should find this basic knowledge immediately nowadays.

As I don't know what style you're into, I'm taking a few shots in the blue.
I lay this out as a lesson plan, ie. songs that are best learned in the order as presented, because the abilities needed build up on each other. I'm going with classic songs, risking that they're not your style or you don't like them - but it can't hurt to have a few classics under your belt, for the ladies, for the people who think a guitarplayer is a human jukebox, and seriously most important for getting cues on how simple good-sounding songs are arranged. Most importantly, for all those songs there are great tabs on the 'net, especially here on UG. If you haven't already done so, I would advise you to get the software "Guitar Pro", which is invaluable for a guitar student. (not affiliated, lol)

As a -first- 'real' song that you really try to match (instead of just strumming the chords, see above) there are LOTS of very easy pop/rock songs, like 60s stuff that basically uses only a few standart chords, or the punk stuff that utilizes powerchords all the way. If you're into the older Stuff, you can get your feet wet with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Mod/Garage Bands like Troggs or Kinks, etc. If you are more inclined towards punk, spend a few months with Nirvana, Green Day, Ramones etc. and you're golden.
Though as an entry for this plan I pick:

1. Californication (RHCP) - the reasons are threefold: First, the rhythm basically utilizes standart open chord forms (because I don't know where you're at), secondly it uses not only strumming but you also learn to arpeggiate chords as in the intro. And lastly, the solo is a strong contender for "first solo to learn", as it is fairly easy and still sounds good (and makes for a good 'real' solo, instead of 'melody lead' things like "Smells like teen spirit", etc. )

2. Smoke on the water (Deep Purple): The rhythm riffs are a good introduction in rock riffing and are a nice stepping stone in later metal territory. The solo is also valuable stuff, though it can be hard for a beginner. I might advise learning the solo of my next choice as a preliminary first.

3. Paranoid (Black Sabbath). Again, the rhythm riffs are fairly easy and build up on the powerchords you learned in Song nr. 2, though here they are at a faster speed, and use palm muting (that's why the order is arranged that way). The solo is, in my opinion, easier than Smoke's (this was actually the first solo I learned), so you may also want to learn this first before going back to the Smoke -solo. And a reminder: You don't really have to mirror each of Iommi's or Blackmore's little licks and fills completely: If some lick (remember, it may also be just a bad tab) presents an unreasonable obstacle, just figure out an abridged version - nobody is going to bust on you for not playing it 100% the same, it's better to have something playable at least (though you might wanna revisit the original solos later).

4. Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd): In the clean verses you revisit the chord picking you learned in song 1, though here it is with more variations. The rock riffs also build up on stuff you already know, and the solo is also playable if you mastered the aforemented stuff. If you like this stuff, you can expand afterwards to other Skynyrd-Songs like "Simple man" (arpeggio-picked chords, rock chorus, sweet easy pentatonic solo) or "Needle and the Spoon", same level. If you mastered those, you are essentially ready for stuff like G'n'R-songs in a similar vein (Sweet Child of mine, etc.), if that is the direction you want to follow.

5. Nothing Else Matters (Metallica): A good introduction into some fingerpicking stuff (if you didn't already looked into some preliminary 60s folk stuff, etc.). Time to lay the pick aside for a while - though you may want to keep it handy for the solo (which should be, if you mastered all the above, a breeze by now).

6. Enter Sandman (Metallica): yep, one more again, this time more rocking. You can never know too many classics. Metallica in general have lots of very accessible stuff, and I've never met a player that at least didn't like some of their old stuff and had some riffs up their sleeve.

7. Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin). Well, that's the last one, as you can really call yourself a guitarist if you've mastered the songs so far. This "have-to-know" song expands on the picking we've learned so far, and the solo again treats familiar pentatonic waters - you will by now no doubt have made some connections between the solo lines and the chords underneath, and learned some stuff about composition and arranging (just by learning the classics) and built up a nice lick-library for your own stuff.

--

Now, your own plan would probably look different, and that's ok (in fact, that's even better), but with that little information I have, there you go. Also this list is by no means definite. For example, you could easily switch one of the earlier songs with some ACDC classics, as they almost always build up on simple chords and strums you've learned beforehand. And that's exactly the point, learn stuff gradually, let it build up on each other. If you ever struggle with something, it's because you haven't mastered a preliminary technique that's needed to play it. Having great goals is good, but achieving them in a reasonable pace is even better. For example, if you were to jump straight to the last entry and learn Stairway to Heaven... good for you, if you pull it through, that is. In my experience, 90% of the players that want to take a shortcut find out the hard way that it doesn't work like that and quit frustrated. However they wouldn't have the problems they've encountered if they built up their skills in the gradual way I suggested.
Another important thing to remember is that you don't really have to force yourself to learn complete songs. Don't get me wrong, it's good to challenge yourself, but see my theme, it's about the best way to achieve that goal. As an example, let's take the song "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica. The beginning is reasonably slow and easy at around 140 bpm, thus a favorite for a beginner to learn. However in the middle there's a nasty speedbreak at over 200 bpm, guess how many beginners that throws off ? Now you can either sit at it a few weeks and try to make that big leap, ... or you can simply give it a rest now and try to learn another song that's in the more reasonable speed range of 160-180 bpm. And when you then get back to the original speedpart you'll notice immediately it's easier.
Anyways, you get the idea. The other song suggestions in the thread are also great, but it really depends on what style you want to end up with. If you get more clear about that, I can give you more better examples
Ailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Squares
Similar to Rectangles

Ailes pretty much summed it up.
Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
AngrySockMonkey
Straight Outta Compton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailes
/epic message

People listen to things other then metal ?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Mitchalanjones

hey joe -- its just C G D (A) E E
Mitchalanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
werty24

you could do maybe your touch by the black keys its really easy and impressive(but there is a little fast picking but you just stay on one note for it
werty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty24
you could do maybe your touch by the black keys its really easy and impressive(but there is a little fast picking but you just stay on one note for it

Stop necroposting, this was 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: