Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
AnrBjotk

(newbie) question about 2 songs

On this tab: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bob_dylan/man_in_the_long_black_coat_crd.htm

yr supposed to play a Em, G, D and Bm. But is there any way to play this without barring? Cause my fingers just wont do that and I really wanted to play this song. A capo would ruin the other chords, no?

And on http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bob_dylan/million_dollar_bash_crd.htm there is a capo on 4th, yet it needs a F, which again - without barring - needs a capo on the 1th fret...

This is so newbie, but any help would be appreciated. Is barring just an absolute must on any rock song?...
AnrBjotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
J_W

a capo would not help you here. You're going to have to practice the barre for the Bm and F, there is no avoiding it.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
pantallica87
Schecter Wh0re

F
X
X
Bm- been a long time since ive played a bm chord that wasnt a barre, so correct me if im wrong everyone.
x
x
Keep practicing barre chords. These 2 ways will only get you so far.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
pantallica87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
K33nbl4d3
Don't @ me

^What he said. Smaller chord shapes can be a substitute but if you want everything sounding right you've got to put in that work and learn barres.

For what it's worth, that F shape can quite easily be expanded to

X

And there's also the Hendrix grip, which shouldn't really be used as an absolute substitute for barres and isn't really manageable on some guitars, but can be useful in many situations:

1 - Index finger
1 - Index finger
2 - Middle finger
3 - Pinky
3 - Ring Finger
1 - Thumb (over the top of the neck)
Wow k33nbl43 guess I struck a nerve. Wanna show us on the doll where they touched you? Guess you can't read either. My article clearly points out I'm older than 12.
K33nbl4d3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #5
Nacho Cheese!
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnrBjotk
But is there any way to play this without barring? Cause my fingers just wont do that and I really wanted to play this song. A capo would ruin the other chords, no?

This is so newbie, but any help would be appreciated. Is barring just an absolute must on any rock song?...

No, you can't play it adequately without barring. The chord voicing would be altered and it would sound different. Use the capo in the spot that was described in the transcriptions that you listed.

Your fingers can barre those chords you just have to practice it and build the finger strength. (Unless you have some type of physical defect that I am unaware of.) I would recommend taking a deeper look into why you are unable to barre. If you think you might be doing something wrong then look for a lesson and make sure you are using a the proper fingerings. Make sure you are also keeping your thumb on the back of the neck and not at the top. If you are using the correct fingerings and you have your thumb at the back of the neck then it is likely a strength issue. Give yourself time to practice and you will be able to get it down.

(Issues with changing chords is a coordination issue, that is remedied with practice.)

No, barring is not an absolute must for all rock songs. Barre chords are, however, a basic technique and you will come across them more times than not. The fact of the matter is you can not play the instrument to it's full potential without barre chords. You completely limit your range during a composition if you can only play in an open position. Do not look for short-cuts and do not simply give up because you are unable to do something. The only way to get better and to succeed is to continue trying.
Nacho Cheese! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM   #6
esky15

You could just play a b power chord instead of the full bm chord, but as nacho cheese had said, you're going to come across these chords a lot so it's best to sit down and learn them, but until then you can use the easy versions.
esky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:14 AM   #7
Hail
i'm a mean bully

just bite the bullet and get on practicing your barre chords. you're gonna have to take off the training wheels eventually, and the sooner the better on stuff like this.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #8
J_W

Probably the worst thing you can do as a guitar player is avoid learning barre chords. You will need them, if not now then definitely later. The sooner you learn them the better off you will be.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: