Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
fastforded
UG Newbie

cant get that lick...

so... im trying to play a lick from iron maidens wasted years...

cant get that rhythm chug-chug down... keep practicing it but not sure im getting the right strum pattern... irritates the crap out of me...

i know you are supposed to start slow and then go faster as you get better but it just doesn't sound right slow...

any suggestions on how to get this lick in the bag? driving me nuts and cant get it out of my head till i can play it.

tried watching some "how to's" on you tube but it just isnt working for me

thanks, appreciate any help
fastforded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Navi_96
O look, a riff!

Is the "rhythm chug chug" referring to the part during the main verses? I really don't know... I know what you mean that it doesn't sound right slow, but you'll either practice it slowly until it's perfect, and then start increasing speed until you're there, or you won't practice slowly first and sound bad.

Look at this song and skip to 1:49, listen to the riff:

I first took this chugging pattern, punched it into Guitar Pro, and slowed it down to like 65 bpm (original is at 104 bpm or so). I played it that way until it was good, and increased speed in increments of 4 bpm. Yes, at the low speed it sounded funny; I was taken aback at how weird the pattern sounded at 60% speed. But I got into it and after a week, I executed it perfectly at original speed, and I think it improved my tremolo picking technique, too.

So as goes with many things, here it applies too: no shortcuts. "it just doesn't sound right" isn't a reason not to play slow first. If you don't learn how to do it at half speed or even slower first, no suggestions will help you; don't expect to be able to play the original speed. So just let me repeat once more: My suggestion for you is to DO play it slow. And you won't need the how to's either.

Last edited by Navi_96 : 02-13-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Navi_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
funkybro

You'll get it! Keep tryin' and it will eventually just "click"
funkybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
fastforded
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi_96
Is the "rhythm chug chug" referring to the part during the main verses? I really don't know... I know what you mean that it doesn't sound right slow, but you'll either practice it slowly until it's perfect, and then start increasing speed until you're there, or you won't practice slowly first and sound bad.

Look at this song and skip to 1:49, listen to the riff:

I first took this chugging pattern, punched it into Guitar Pro, and slowed it down to like 65 bpm (original is at 104 bpm or so). I played it that way until it was good, and increased speed in increments of 4 bpm. Yes, at the low speed it sounded funny; I was taken aback at how weird the pattern sounded at 60% speed. But I got into it and after a week, I executed it perfectly at original speed, and I think it improved my tremolo picking technique, too.

So as goes with many things, here it applies too: no shortcuts. "it just doesn't sound right" isn't a reason not to play slow first. If you don't learn how to do it at half speed or even slower first, no suggestions will help you; don't expect to be able to play the original speed. So just let me repeat once more: My suggestion for you is to DO play it slow. And you won't need the how to's either.

much thanks, appreciate the time. very frustrating!!! Guitar pro? havent heard of that... fast search on google! thanks for the advice!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
fastforded
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybro
You'll get it! Keep tryin' and it will eventually just "click"

yep, happened before, just not happening now... it was a good feeling after I got it... just gets so frustrating not getting it...

I was lucky enough to meet a good teacher. going to sit down with him and figure this out... thanks man

Rate This Thread: