Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-19-2015, 02:19 AM   #1
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Good intermediate Open C artists?

Hey hey, basically as the title says I'm looking for some good intermediate artists who play in Open C.
John Butler is hands down my favourite artist who uses this tuning and has been my biggest inspiration for the last year.. Very unfortunately though most his stuff is very intricate and even more so really really hard for me to learn by ear. It's a big shame too that a lot of his stuff has no tabs.

Now that I've cleared up why I don't intend to learn John Butler's catalogue quite yet, I was interested in other artists who use Open C? The long term goal of this being to one day be able to learn John Butler by ear and for that style of playing to become second nature.

If possible it would also be great if the suggested artists had some music that I could learn by ear, but if not that's okay.
I should quickly note that I'm not a beginner. I've been playing near on 6 years and am more than comfortable with my fingerstyle technique.

Thanks in advance
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

It's not the same style really but listen to Devin Townsend's albums Ki, Ghost, and Casualties Of Cool. Those albums are pretty relaxed and use the same tuning so they're probably a decent place to start with the tunings.

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 AM   #3
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not the same style really but listen to Devin Townsend's albums Ki, Ghost, and Casualties Of Cool. Those albums are pretty relaxed and use the same tuning so they're probably a decent place to start with the tunings.

Cheers for the recommendations Zaphod. I had a listen to bits and pieces from those 3 albums and whilst they're nice they're not quite the style I'm after. I probably should have said I'm looking for a more blues and roots kind of style
Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
Cheers for the recommendations Zaphod. I had a listen to bits and pieces from those 3 albums and whilst they're nice they're not quite the style I'm after. I probably should have said I'm looking for a more blues and roots kind of style

Yeah, I thought they might not be quite what you were looking for but I can't think of anyone else in Open C so it was worth a shot!

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
derek8520

Dougie Maclean plays some of his songs in open C. He's Scottish folk/celtic style player but simple enough to make a good starting point.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
Dougie Maclean plays some of his songs in open C. He's Scottish folk/celtic style player but simple enough to make a good starting point.

Had a listen to his stuff and am really impressed. Cheers for the recommendation

Rate This Thread: