Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
montenohell
Malik .H

Using the pick

Hello fellow guitarists, I've been practicing with acoustic guitar for about 7 months now and learned a number of open, power chords and still having difficulties with barred ones. So I've been using my hand for strumming, I use my thumb for upstrokes and the rest for downstrokes and my goal is to play rock music the most, should I start getting used to playing with the pick now since I'm going for electric, I tried using it but it's quite hard and I found myself having more control with my hands. So should I keep practicing the chords for now and use the pick later or do I need to start now ?

Thanks in advance !
montenohell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Gman can

The sooner you start the better to be honest. You'll eventually need to master both techniques anyway as they're relevant to different styles of music, plus you'll become more versatile. Be patient as the pick takes a little longer to get used to, experiment with different sizes and when you're comfortable with one go from there.
Gman can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
guitarmanftw

I definitely agree with Gman. The sooner you start with a pick, the sooner it starts to feel like a natural extension of your hand. I'm not really sure what the best kind of picks for beginners are, but for me the Dunlop Jazz IIIs are great for just about everything.

Cheers
guitarmanftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer

I've been using ChromaCasts and found them to be decent enough. You can get a whole bag of pearlized picks in light-, medium- and heavy gauge, 48 total, for under $9 on Amazon. I'd recommend the thin lights to start on, they work well for strumming but are just stiff enough to learn precision pickwork with.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Arron_Zacx

^what everyone above said. I personally like Jim Dunlop picks and I like the heavy ones for electric but they're all preference really. What can really help though is holding the pick right. They're a couple variations so find the one that's most natural yet effective. Also how tightly you grip the pick affects your playing. Holding it too tight tenses up your arm while holding it too loose means it's going to fall off. Got to find the right balance. The key is to have your hand relaxed and comfortable while sounding good.
Arron_Zacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
GregoryFrus

Agree with Arron. Experiment with the right balance. I prefer the heavier picks also.
GregoryFrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
montenohell
Malik .H

Thank you guys so much for your answers and I agree on the issue with the size, I mean the first pick I bought and still have is very thick for my level so it's seemed harder than it's supposed to be. I'll have to look for something thiner, I will try the suggestions you gave me, it's very appreciated !
montenohell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
guitarmanftw

No worries man. Also, bear in mind that in general different picks are better for different things, so it never hurts to be proficient with any sort of pick (although start with just one). If you need anything else feel free to PM me.
guitarmanftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
sandvanglokta

Switching from finger style to picks is horrible but has to be done if you want to add certain styles to your armoury. I've played for 22 years made the switch to pick maybe 10 years ago and still feels unnatural! I started finger style acoustic and still prefer fingers if I'm just noodling for fun
sandvanglokta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
TalalK

When you start out with picks, strum lightly. With time you will get used to them. As far as your question goes regarding what picking style, finger style works best on acoustics, that doesnt mean it's not used on electric guitars. You actually need to learn both styles. This is something pretty basic and you will get used to it pretty fast.
TalalK is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: