Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
RyanMW2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
What is downward pick slanting?

Troy Grady talks about this in his "Cracking the Code" series on youtube as the key to unlocking more accurate picking, but he doesn't really define exactly what he means by it. Does it refer to the upward or downward angle of your pick while changing strings?
RyanMW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Anon17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I have not seen the video but I assume he means angling the pick since this makes picking a little bit easier. Generally an angle of 30-45 degrees seems to make picking a bit easier than angling the pick along the string.

That being said, if you want more accurate picking you should practice relaxation, economy of motion and practice picking difficult (string skipping is great for this) things so you are forced to be more accurate with your pick strokes.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Well firstly what you need to realise is that Troy is saying that this is why Malmsteen's picking works for him; with the judicious use of legato and picking to get his signature sound. If you want to 100% consistently alternate pick everything then it won't work particularly well.

Secondly, what he's talking about is angling the pick in the direction of the higher strings and picking at an angle that moves in to the guitar body. It makes meeting new strings with a downstroke easier as in certain circumstances as you end up in the right place for them by a slight exaggeration of the picking motion.

Personally I don't know that I'd really recommend working on it specifically, and before taking anything Troy says as being the gospel truth I'd wait until the whole of Cracking The Code is out, because right now it's just not all the information he wants to present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17
I have not seen the video but I assume he means angling the pick since this makes picking a little bit easier. Generally an angle of 30-45 degrees seems to make picking a bit easier than angling the pick along the string.

That being said, if you want more accurate picking you should practice relaxation, economy of motion and practice picking difficult (string skipping is great for this) things so you are forced to be more accurate with your pick strokes.


I have seen the video though; he's not talking about angling in that plane. You're talking about an angle relative to the strings, Troy's talking about an angle relative to the guitar body, basically.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.


Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 10-17-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Anon17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Ah fair enough then, yeah I would probably focus on the other aspects of picking before considering this in that case.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
RyanMW2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Zaphod, you mean slanting the "top" of the pick, the part that's not attacking the strings, towards the floor?

Also, why do you say not to put too much faith into what troy is saying just yet? Are you suspicious of his teaching or something?
RyanMW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMW2010
Zaphod, you mean slanting the "top" of the pick, the part that's not attacking the strings, towards the floor?

Also, why do you say not to put too much faith into what troy is saying just yet? Are you suspicious of his teaching or something?


Yes, that's exactly it.

It's because for a start he's clearly portioning out his information a lot. Even if you watch Troy's own playing he's clearly not implementing everything he's talked about so far, not all the time at least. I've actually watched a fair bit of Troy's material over the years, from way before Cracking The Code even existed and he knows what he's doing, for sure, but I wouldn't be basing anything on what's there so far. Wait until everything's out and assess the whole because as it stands he's literally just not telling you the full story.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #7
RyanMW2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yes, that's exactly it.

It's because for a start he's clearly portioning out his information a lot. Even if you watch Troy's own playing he's clearly not implementing everything he's talked about so far, not all the time at least. I've actually watched a fair bit of Troy's material over the years, from way before Cracking The Code even existed and he knows what he's doing, for sure, but I wouldn't be basing anything on what's there so far. Wait until everything's out and assess the whole because as it stands he's literally just not telling you the full story.


Ah, okay. In reading his blog posts and watching his videos, I would have to agree with you. There is a ton going on with little pertinent information being presented. He is clearly an excellent player, and the production quality is cool if not a bit hokey, but the important information is not always presented in the clearest manner, and definitely not concisely. I'm signed up for the newest season of cracking the code, so I'll be getting the videos as they come. Thanks!
RyanMW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.