Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #21
se012101

@ramm_ty - nice playing! Only thing I'd add to what edg said is to watch how far away from the fretboard your pinky is getting at times (e.g. around 1:05 in the second vid). Your right hand seems to be in good shape.
se012101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
edg

I would add, without knowing what you're trying to play, a technique analysis
will have some limits.

I'd advise anyone to turn on a metronome or background track, and play a specific
set of technique-focused exercises in time.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetal

Probably the most unskilled player here, but anyway...
Please excuse the **** playing i was friggin tired
Just a general analysis if im doing anything wrong would be good

telEDIT:also with the very last lick i play, how the hell can i speed it up? i've played with metronomes, played it slow, sped it up, then tried faster and failed again, i just cant get it up to speed

In addition to what PP said, you need to be careful you actually cleanly fret notes, you just plain miss a lot. Also, your sense of timing isn't really confident, which takes all the energy out of your playing.

As well as that, try and make sure you actually bend in tune, a fair amount of your bends went nowhere, it just doesn't sound nice.

Watch your right hand as well, btw, your pinky tenses up a fair bit on occasion.

The tapping needs to be slowed down and perfected, it's all over the place, especially on the position shifts.

The reason you can't play the last lick fast is because your finger movements are huge. Read the stickies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetal
alright then, and another question, im trying to stop anchoring, so does that mean my arm has to be floating? as in i cant place for forearm on the edge of the guitar?

Can have touching, yes. Covered in two seperate stickies, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm_ty
Oh yeaaaaaa.

I don't have an amp ATM...so I was forced to line directly in.

Was probably a bad move, cause I sound like dick. Open string noise

I uploaded another one too, on that same channel. Any crits would be greatly appreciated.

edit: The other one

Ok, your right hand needs to get louder and more precise, your sweeps a little wimpy sounding but clean enough. You're also trying to pick faster than you can, which leads to practically no clean picking lines. When you aren't trying to play so fast it actually sounds ok, although a little quiet.

Left hand, you need to get that 4th finger working, and you need to develop your economy of motion somewhat.

Once again, it would be nice to hear some more confidence timing-wise.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #24
ramm_ty
UG's Mr. Rackman

Thanks for the crits guys, I appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edg
The main things I noticed:

1) Your pinky is curled up in nice tight knot most of the time. Which is probably why:
2) Your pinky is extremely under-utilized.
3) Your ring finger and pinky (when you use it) almost always land flat on the strings.
That will make it difficult on accuracy and ease of doing any number of things.
4) All those symptoms add up to what looks like too much tension, using more pressure
than you need to fret. While you may get by with a number of things like this, doing
other things will be difficult.
You know I've never even bother to look at my pinky...I see exactly what you're saying. You're absolutely correct with the fretting flat comment too, something else I've never noticed. I think the fretting should be easy enough to fix...but where do I put my pinky? If I'm using my first and third fingers to play, let's say, G and A on the D string, where should my pinky be? Hovering over the Bb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by se012101
@ramm_ty - nice playing! Only thing I'd add to what edg said is to watch how far away from the fretboard your pinky is getting at times (e.g. around 1:05 in the second vid). Your right hand seems to be in good shape.
Thanks. I see what you mean with the pinky, gotta keep that mofo in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Ok, your right hand needs to get louder and more precise, your sweeps a little wimpy sounding but clean enough. You're also trying to pick faster than you can, which leads to practically no clean picking lines. When you aren't trying to play so fast it actually sounds ok, although a little quiet.

Left hand, you need to get that 4th finger working, and you need to develop your economy of motion somewhat.

Once again, it would be nice to hear some more confidence timing-wise.
So you suggest I slow down and pick harder? I'm not sure if my set-up had something to do with the volume or not. I'm definetely going to work on keeping my pinky (and other fingers) closer to the fretboard.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed

Last edited by ramm_ty : 01-07-2009 at 12:08 PM.
ramm_ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
Freepower

Quote:
...G and A on the D string, where should my pinky be? Hovering over the Bb?

Yup.

Quote:
So you suggest I slow down and pick harder? I'm not sure if my set-up had something to do with the volume or not.

Not necessarily that much harder, try a few different pick angles and see if you can get a chunkier, louder tone.

Your set up made you sound really quiet, but your picking didn't seem strong enough even when I compensated for that.

Anyway, worst case scenario you have to tone down your picking a bit - that just means your dynamic range will go up to 11.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
edg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm_ty
put my pinky? If I'm using my first and third fingers to play, let's say, G and A on the D string, where should my pinky be? Hovering over the Bb?

Well, it really depends on what you're doing. If it's a lot of pentatonics and lots of
ring finger bends, it's probably going to unavoidably curl up. In general, relaxed,
extended and ready-to-go.

That's why I said demonstrating specific exercises to a metronome would likely
give more accurate reads on the technique.

The first thing I'd always ask someone to do is run the major scale up an down in
some different timings. That shows if all the fingers are generally working as
expected. Hand position, picking hand and basic timing -- all look ok. If there's
problems there, there's not a lot of point trying to solve more complex things.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #27
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

alright thanks FP and you to PP, look like i've got some practice ahead of me

Keep your hopes up high...

...and your head down low!

Gear
1996 Deluxe Anniversary Tele
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Egnater Renegade + Harley Benton 212
telemetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
krazydrummer

i got another video being uploaded, its just me play scream aim fire (well im not playing the whole thing, and im playinging drop c not d standard. go figure :P)
critique!!!
(will edit once its finished uploading)

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQD...re=channel_page
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212

Last edited by krazydrummer : 01-07-2009 at 05:51 PM.
krazydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #29
metalmetalhead
Panterica

iv been trying to build my speed with chromatics for awhile now and it seems im not getting anyfaster i can do 3 notes back and forth alot faster but not 4..is there any tips or excersizes and advice you can give me to build the speed..doing it slow with a metadrome doesnt seem to be working to well..i have no camra i could record it..but i feel its kinda pointless.

btw i can do it fast without picking but when i try to pick it slows me way down

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #30
Freepower

It's not doing it slow that improves it, it's fixing bad habits by using slow practice.

Anyway, use the stickies! There's a ton of info at the end that'll help.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #31
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

just me back again, I'm just getting rid of my bad habits, just by doing the simple 1-2-3-4 chromatic stuff, and ATM trying to nail down economy of motion, but my ****ing pinky has other ideas, as it flicks up when ever i move my ring finger. I just cant get it to stay close to the fretboard, so is it just impossible, or is there a way to stop it flailing about?

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #32
Freepower

Take a look at my finger independence and correct practice vids.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #33
Freepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydrummer
i got another video being uploaded, its just me play scream aim fire (well im not playing the whole thing, and im playinging drop c not d standard. go figure :P)
critique!!!
(will edit once its finished uploading)

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQD...re=channel_page

Actually, pretty okay.

Right hand - good gallops, tremolo picking good - strong and in time! omg!, great palm muting. Left hand, pretty okay, not amazing but no problems - just requires fine tuning, a little less motion and it'd be pretty much perfect for that style of playing.

Watching the chapter 4 A7X vid, I lol'd. Nice pinches.

How's the Damien play, btw?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #34
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Take a look at my finger independence and correct practice vids.

Thanks a bunch, that makes things easier. (and gives me a another habit to get rid of)

As a side note, you sound very un-Irish (in a good way, that is ). All the Irish guys i've met have had insanely thick accents, yours is great, its there, but it doesn't make understanding you a pain in the ass.

Anyway, on that note, im off to practice, thanks a bunch for all the help

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #35
Freepower

It's a product of being born in Germany, moving to Switzerland at one, then to Northern Ireland (think thick Scottish accent) at about 7, then to Dublin at 19. My father's always been well-spoken and my early childhood was almost entirely book-based so I think I just managed to dodge all the accent bullets.

That and you learn how to speak if you want to be a pro teacher. I always try and speak clearly on the YT vids as well, because god knows that it's difficult enough to play guitar well as it is without some culchy hick saying "N' tha' kyeerod chyagne 's pyur sleekit, like" over that tricky Emaj9 chord.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #36
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

Fair enough , sounds like you've had a hectic life.
one last thing, is it a good idea to practice the economy of motion thing with those spider licks of yours?

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #37
Freepower

It was really good for my playing, last time I was techniquing it up they were probably the most effective exercises I used for economy of motion - they build up both hands toughest single note co-ordinations and they are easily learnt and modified, I love em. I like the way they sound as well, but I'm pretty weird.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #38
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

awesome, i'll give those a go.
thanks for just answering all these questions, its gotta get annoying,

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #39
krazydrummer

haha oh man im ashamed of the a7x cover xD. i never really learned the song on guitar just drums and i picked it up somehow haha. it was for pure fun and like you said gives me a lol once in a while.

thanks for that im really trying to improve. im a ex drummer and keeping time has helped into being a decent guitar player. and the damian, its love. i bought a jackson dk2 like 6 months ago, even though its a good guitar, i stay play my damian WAY more. im a huge schecter fan and im hoping to get a hold of a hellraiser when i can.

by the way. my band plays shows and we all like to move and have fun. including me of course but everytime i do i start making more mistakes. especially a traditional headbang and some good ol slow gallops (chug stuff per say). should i ancor in some kinda way? i know it takes practice but anyone with some tips would help me out
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
krazydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #40
ramm_ty
UG's Mr. Rackman

I watched your finger independance vid again, FP, and I've been working my 4th finger, focusing on fretting with the tips, all that good stuff. I woke up this morning and already noticed some improvement :P

Though, as edg was talking about, my pinky kind of gets in the way when I'm playing pentatonic type stuff. I can't really apply vibrato or bend with my third finger unless my pinky is somewhere off the fretboard. Does this make sense? Is it something I can work through?

Anyway, I'mma keep working and maybe post another vid when I get my amp back.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
ramm_ty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: