User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #41
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydrummer
by the way. my band plays shows and we all like to move and have fun. including me of course but everytime i do i start making more mistakes. especially a traditional headbang and some good ol slow gallops (chug stuff per say). should i ancor in some kinda way? i know it takes practice but anyone with some tips would help me out

I think it's just practice, I wouldn't anchor - you'd just have to unlearn it at some stage anyway.

Quote:
Though, as edg was talking about, my pinky kind of gets in the way when I'm playing pentatonic type stuff. I can't really apply vibrato or bend with my third finger unless my pinky is somewhere off the fretboard. Does this make sense? Is it something I can work through?

It makes sense and it's pretty much impossible to work through, although the effects will lessen as your fingers get stronger. Basically the sheer physical effort exerted through the shared 3/4 tendon will cause the 4th finger to curl up during bends or vibrato, it's just a given. Course, you could learn to apply a good vibrato through your 4th finger and then at least it would be on the fretboard if you needed it.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #42
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

FP! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALP!

Seriously though, this vid's a bit rough but I'd be glad of ANY pointers the learned people of the forum might have.

Edit: I might try and get a better vid recorded over the next couple of days, especially if you guys want it to get a better idea of my playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 01-16-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #43
public property
Steve Vai

Your playing was ok from I could see but...

1.You only played with distortion
2. The sound quality wasn't brilliant
3.You were pretty far away from the camera
7.Nice 7 string
8. playing specific things that give you problems would be good too

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
public property is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #44
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by public property
Your playing was ok from I could see but...

1.You only played with distortion
2. The sound quality wasn't brilliant
3.You were pretty far away from the camera
7.Nice 7 string
8. playing specific things that give you problems would be good too

Yeah, nothing about the video itself really helped my case but I didn't originally record it to show off my chops anyway; I just thought that seeing as how it's a pretty recent showing of my technical playing I'd see what people have to say in general, I'm not looking for any specific help.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #45
Ikonoklast
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah, nothing about the video itself really helped my case but I didn't originally record it to show off my chops anyway; I just thought that seeing as how it's a pretty recent showing of my technical playing I'd see what people have to say in general, I'm not looking for any specific help.

I thought it was pretty good. It's neat enough. I would just say try and make the right hand a bit more economical if you can, that will probably help you sound tighter. But, even if you don't you're still really good.

I must really try and get my hands on a video camera..
Ikonoklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #46
Freepower

Quote:
FP! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALP!

Seriously though, this vid's a bit rough but I'd be glad of ANY pointers the learned people of the forum might have.

Edit: I might try and get a better vid recorded over the next couple of days, especially if you guys want it to get a better idea of my playing.

Okay, right hands pretty good except that at times you're letting a bit too much string noise through.

First few sweeps were terrible but last few were pretty good, no idea why, perhaps you loosened up as you played.

The major thing I noticed was that your vibrato was fast and narrow in range, which made a lot of your held notes seem shrill and hurried. Take time to work on your vibrato!

Overall, it's not missing much, but you need to tighten the screws and polish it.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #47
Ikonoklast
Banned

Quote:
Okay, right hands pretty good except that at times you're letting a bit too much string noise through.

First few sweeps were terrible but last few were pretty good, no idea why, perhaps you loosened up as you played.

The major thing I noticed was that your vibrato was fast and narrow in range, which made a lot of your held notes seem shrill and hurried. Take time to work on your vibrato!

Overall, it's not missing much, but you need to tighten the screws and polish it.

I really need to learn to articulate my sentences better. This is what i meant! It looks like your right hand comes too far off the strings. Look at how Paul Gilbert's picking hand stays close and tight, i think that could help restrict noise from strings.
Ikonoklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #48
FretboardToAsh
UG's Wise Man Says

Freepower I got a question for you, I've noticed you have a video concerning left and right hand technique and I'm wondering about something. Your right hand thumb is used to mute the lower strings(lower sounding that is, I think in tone not in actual height).

This muting is creating friction wich should decrease the maximum speed you could achieve, this however is still not the question. When you talk about anchoring you mention this exact same thing and say it's a bad thing.
Now the right hand muting isn't really wrong since it won't mess up your technique, it will influence your technique and if you're not carefull you'll get used to slightly pushing your hand to the strings(wich again would be anchoring). Though the trick works, it's still something I can't agree with so I'm trying to work around it. Got any light to shed upon this? Cause I find it quite amusing/confusing.

Also on topic (at least a bit more). If any of you have questions about your technique and it feels wrong search around a bit so I can give you a good scare about what wrong technique will actually do to your body(should be some of my posts floating about here).
Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #49
Freepower

Well, basically, anchoring is being fixed to a point - which my thumb isn't (pretty hard to pick like that, lol). Secondly, friction is always bad, but if you want to play electric guitar, you're going to have to mute unwanted strings ringing or everything will sound terribly messy - muting is much more important than the tiny amount of friction that muting creates if done lightly.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #50
FretboardToAsh
UG's Wise Man Says

So you're pretty much picking the lesser of 2 evils. I figured as much, I'm trying to figure out a way around it I'll let you know if I ever find out if there is one(wich I doubt).
Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #51
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretboardToAsh
So you're pretty much picking the lesser of 2 evils. I figured as much, I'm trying to figure out a way around it I'll let you know if I ever find out if there is one(wich I doubt).

The idea is more to develop your muting so that the amount of friction it creates is basically negligible; your thumb shouldn't be resting on the strings with much force at all.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
zhilla

Freepower halp pls!

I dunno if I've linked it right, so apologies if I haven't...I don't have video either, just audacity and a lead from my guitar to my poor little laptop...sorry

Basically I suck, so be warned your ears might not like this...but the thing that is really driving me nuts is trying to vibrato when I'm bending - it just goes horribly out of tune and sounds ...well... not good How do I go about starting to sort it out? please?

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play529971
zhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #53
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhilla
Freepower halp pls!

I dunno if I've linked it right, so apologies if I haven't...I don't have video either, just audacity and a lead from my guitar to my poor little laptop...sorry

Basically I suck, so be warned your ears might not like this...but the thing that is really driving me nuts is trying to vibrato when I'm bending - it just goes horribly out of tune and sounds ...well... not good How do I go about starting to sort it out? please?

I know what you mean and the key to getting good vibrato on bends is to return to the same pitch after each bend; even and consistent bends are the key.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #54
zhilla

Thanks Zaphod, so...when you're holding a bend...does the vibrato bend it up or down? Cos I've been trying to just relax my wrist a bit so I can relax the bend to vibrato - if that makes sense, but it seems backwards as for any straight note the vibrato would bend it up slightly?

If I try and practice vibrato really slowly will it eventually work when I let it go naturally? When I try to slow it down at the moment it just feels forced :/
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #55
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Thanks Zaphod, so...when you're holding a bend...does the vibrato bend it up or down? Cos I've been trying to just relax my wrist a bit so I can relax the bend to vibrato - if that makes sense, but it seems backwards as for any straight note the vibrato would bend it up slightly?

If I try and practice vibrato really slowly will it eventually work when I let it go naturally? When I try to slow it down at the moment it just feels forced :/

Usually you'd relax the bend for vibrato on a bent note, you could bend it more but it's a relatively large amount of effort...

To be honest I'm not sure how well the old "slow down" motto works here, I think the best thing to do would be to just listen VERY carefully to what you're doing and make sure you correct yourself if you notice you're going even slightly wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #56
Freepower

Quote:
Freepower halp pls!

For various reasons I can't actually listen to this right now, but my guess is that you're probably using either too few fingers to support the bend (ie, use fingers 1, 2 and 3 to support a note held with 3) and/or you're trying to push with your fingers. Bending strings with control takes a fair degree of power, which you can't really generate by pushing up with your fingers. What you do is you turn your wrist, using your thumb as a pivot on top of the neck - imagine turning a doorknob with your left hand - that's pretty much exactly the motion used.

Secondly, as goes listening and pitch, etc - bend to exactly the target note. Hold it for a second - a lot of people disguise their poor sense of pitch by starting the vibrato as soon as they feel "near" the target note.

Then, from there, bend the note up a semitone from the target note, and then down a semitone from the target note, smoothly alternating between the two.

That's actually really tricky, listening carefully and plenty of practice to develop hand strength and callouses will help lots.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #57
zhilla

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a play around tonight.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #58
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Just recorded this and wondered if my picking technique is up to scratch or if i need to change anything about it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E7TJe...re=channel_page

excuse lame improv

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #59
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Just recorded this and wondered if my picking technique is up to scratch or if i need to change anything about it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E7TJe...re=channel_page

excuse lame improv

Less effects on the video man, I can't make out what's going on clearly enough...

Quote:

Quote:

Old 01-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #60
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Less effects on the video man, I can't make out what's going on clearly enough...

yeah soz about that i forgot to change the settings before i video'd it.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: