Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #1421
Bolth Mannn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSiG...eature=youtu.be

Any general tips on techniques or anything are greatly appreciated I've been playing about 2 years.
Bolth Mannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #1422
Syndromed
French guy
 
Syndromed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Me too please :
__________________
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Syndromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #1423
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolth Mannn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSiG...eature=youtu.be

Any general tips on techniques or anything are greatly appreciated I've been playing about 2 years.


First, just work a little on consistency - theres lots of little mistakes. Practice and time!

You really need to work on your vibrato - don't pull with your fingers, make a controlled bend and release it. Watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjCs...feature=related

Compare the speed and width of Andy's vibrato to yours.

For the faster stuff - you will not get Satch style legato with your thumb that far over the neck, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZ...&feature=relmfu

Finally, watch your right hand from about 2:45 onwards. You tense up your whole hand every time you hit a note, and move between fingers curled in and out... You want to keep your fingers relaxed, unless they're plucking the strings they should be doing nothing at all. Watch this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
Me too please :


Not very varied.

From that vid, all I would say is you have too much left hand movement, your fingers lift too far from the strings. Watch this -
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1424
Syndromed
French guy
 
Syndromed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Thanks Freepower

Yes I know, my fingers lift too far ... but it's weird because when I play at first 5 frets, my fingers lift far but after the fifth my fingers don't lift far, they stay close to the strings.

I know the video, I already do your exercise, and it works, just on question about that :
Do you know Drhotlick ? He does that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5gZ4vktH0&feature=plcp The same thing as you, but there is only one finger which lift everytime.
Do you think that it's worth ?

Otherwise, it sounds clean, fluid and correct for you ?
__________________
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Syndromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #1425
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
It's okay, could be cleaner, could be more fluid.

His exercise is pretty similar, with mine only one finger moves too. The difference is that with mine you train unused fingers to relax rather than keeping them pressed down. I think this is much more effective, try it both ways and see which feels better.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #1426
Syndromed
French guy
 
Syndromed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Ok ! Thank you for your feedback!
__________________
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Syndromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #1427
Tmusician
Registered User
 
Tmusician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I've recently tried to totally re-invent my whole technique based on Freepower's videos, it's taking a bit to get used to but could you please comment on this cover I just made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDHmBBnHhtU&feature=plcp
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #1428
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Looking really good, there's still a fair bit of excess left hand motion but that's always an ongoing process. Try and work on keeping your hand position more "classical" for this kind of stuff, it lets you use your pinky far more effectively.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #1429
Tmusician
Registered User
 
Tmusician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Looking really good, there's still a fair bit of excess left hand motion but that's always an ongoing process. Try and work on keeping your hand position more "classical" for this kind of stuff, it lets you use your pinky far more effectively.


Thanks Freepower, you've really helped me out. Something that I still have not been able to figure out is that my fretting pinky is kind of out of control, when it's not playing it can't just hover over the frets like I want it to, and it moves around when other fingers move and is usually flailing around haha.

I actually play with my pinky as much as possible, I think more than the average guitarist because I actually try to use it. Still after a year it's still doing this, and I think it keeps me from playing at high speeds. Do you know why this is happening?
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #1430
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Well, I'd assume a mixture of your left thumb position and lack of focus on finger independence -

Check that out and try and get a classical posture together, see how that works. Give it a couple of months and let me know how it's all gone.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #1431
atliadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I hope i won't be mocked until my whole life for this. I'm a very beginner and actually this is completely junk but i would like to hear something from you. I was trying to play Holy Wars by Megadeth. Since i don't know if intro notes are PM, i played in both way. So what are you gonna suggest me? Should i focus on practice with metronome, do i have some kind of flowing problem? Or lack of left or right hand technique. Here we go:
atliadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #1432
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atliadam
I hope i won't be mocked until my whole life for this. I'm a very beginner and actually this is completely junk but i would like to hear something from you. I was trying to play Holy Wars by Megadeth. Since i don't know if intro notes are PM, i played in both way. So what are you gonna suggest me? Should i focus on practice with metronome, do i have some kind of flowing problem? Or lack of left or right hand technique. Here we go:


You lack everything and you're playing faster than you're even close to being able to.

Slow down, concentrate on getting it right and making it sound good and worry about it being fast enough as the very last thing you think about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #1433
atliadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thanks.
atliadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #1434
fanapathy
B-Tuned
 
fanapathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Hello, got a general question and didn't want to make a thread.

When learning a song equal to or slightly above skill level, would you recommend playing practicing the tricky parts in slightly higher speed, say 10-25% faster - adapting to playing it well at a higher speed to really nail it in normal speed? If that made sense.

Say if learning a difficult part or a new technique, I usually start where ever I can play it perfectly be it 25-50% range usually and move up until 100% - do you guys practice to play it even faster to make it easier when slowing down again? Cheers
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #1435
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
You want to able to play it a little quicker than you need to, but I wouldn't say you should try and play it faster than you can play it cleanly.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #1436
fanapathy
B-Tuned
 
fanapathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Thanks FP, appreciate it. Sometimes feel, when just about "almost got it perfect but not quite", then try to practice it a little bit faster for a while and then when almost got it there go down to normal speed... and there it is.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #1437
ILLaViTaR
Registered User
 
ILLaViTaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Don't worry about how good you are compared to other people, or for how long you've been playing. It's just not productive.

Your first three fingers actually look pretty good, but the pinky is pretty horrible.

Your picking hand looks fine, no obvious problems, just need to keep at it.

I notice you're kinda stuck in one position all vid, are you confident of the notes of the fretboard? How well do you know your scales?

Your timing is a little dodgy, a fun way to improve this is just playing along with records and trying to keep it as tight as possible. The other thing is your vibrato was very fast and based on pulling with the fingers. Good rock vibrato is like a bend - and usually a lot slower and wider.


Haha forgot I posted this!

I don't use the pinky near enough, I'll have to bring it up to spec!

I'm quite confident in all the notes however I find myself basically playing on one string most the time (as in no instant string skipping/chord picking), using only my ring and index fingers on my fret hand most the time (another video I recorded same box type playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTi...o&feature=plcp).

The other week I looked up the tab for Simple man by Lynyrd Skynyrd, usually nowadays I can learn a song almost instantly whereas this had me stuffing every second note due to all the string skipping, even though I eventually got my head around it, I stil lcan't play it with flow/confidence.

I've been trying to improve my timing and it's getting better, playing along with guitar pro helps but as weird as it sounds I wake up with great timing one day, bad the next.
I've noticed I wake up on days where I'll be on musical crack, my picking hand will be "swooshing" around the strings with nice efficient clicks, but most days it's stiff and heavy feeling and nowhere near as light/mobile. I find warming up helps heaps but like I said there's just some days I wake up and I feel the rhythm so much more, not to mention if I don't play the guitar for 3 days or so and go to pick it up I actually play better rather than worse! It's a very confusing hobby lol.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #1438
Lucas_Marty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Haha forgot I posted this!

I don't use the pinky near enough, I'll have to bring it up to spec!

I'm quite confident in all the notes however I find myself basically playing on one string most the time (as in no instant string skipping/chord picking), using only my ring and index fingers on my fret hand most the time (another video I recorded same box type playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTi...o&feature=plcp).

The other week I looked up the tab for Simple man by Lynyrd Skynyrd, usually nowadays I can learn a song almost instantly whereas this had me stuffing every second note due to all the string skipping, even though I eventually got my head around it, I stil lcan't play it with flow/confidence.

I've been trying to improve my timing and it's getting better, playing along with guitar pro helps but as weird as it sounds I wake up with great timing one day, bad the next.
I've noticed I wake up on days where I'll be on musical crack, my picking hand will be "swooshing" around the strings with nice efficient clicks, but most days it's stiff and heavy feeling and nowhere near as light/mobile. I find warming up helps heaps but like I said there's just some days I wake up and I feel the rhythm so much more, not to mention if I don't play the guitar for 3 days or so and go to pick it up I actually play better rather than worse! It's a very confusing hobby lol.


New here.
You are a beginner, just play, play and play. Strive to get better. And most importantly, don't go 3 days without playing guitar for god's sake.
__________________
www.lucas-marty.blogspot.mx
Lucas_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #1439
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
 
DiminishedFifth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I've got a video of me playing Fly Me To The Moon that I recorded the other day. I tried to sync it up as best as I could, but it's a TINY bit off until the improv starts. Any advice on note choice, dynamics or anything in general?

I tried to get the guitar as loud as I could, but I'm no master at mastering Not in the least.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
^ Your avatar has never been so uncomfortably suitable for your post content.


Last edited by DiminishedFifth : 08-05-2012 at 08:19 PM.
DiminishedFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #1440
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
 
My Last Words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Couple of questions:

1) When you hold your pick, how much material is sticking out UNDER your thumb ? When I look at it from a regular point of view I only see about 2 mm sticking out, but when I turn it around it's almost 5 mm, if you know what I mean.

2) Practice clean or distorted/effects/etcetera ?

3) What is a good practice volume ? I'm almost playing for a year and I've always played with my amp on ''Conversation volume'', until I cranked it up once and came to the conclusion that I am incredibly sloppy.

4) Last but not least: is it a bad habit to bend you finger slighty inwards if you need to fret multiple strings ? For example, the third finger when playing a powerchord ?

Last edited by My Last Words : 08-10-2012 at 08:21 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.