LeeAlacoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #1442
CuatroSD

bad video quality and just noodling. still interested in hearing your thoughts

CuatroSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #1443
fc89konkari
UG Addict

A pretty simple question about holding the pick. The problem is, it feels like I've hit a wall with my technique. I've done a lot of research about relaxing and blablabla and so on. I've played guitar for 6 years now. The only thing I can think of atm is holding the pick. Either that or too little practise, which wouldn't really explain the wall I'm hitting. I just can't alternate pick faster than 120 bpm (16th notes) with multiple strings, fluently.

So I saw a video/interview of Paul Gilbert a long time ago. He said that if you've been holding the pick wrong 'like this (I'll explain later)' then you gotta stop that and start holding it 'like this'. Now it's actually not holding the pick but strumming with it. I hold it with a 45 degree angle (about) towards the strings, so that the neck side of the pick is up towards my face. Now according to Gilbert (note: 99% of guitarist hold the pick like this it should be vice versa. The bridge side of the pick should be up towards your face. like the difference between these:

-----/----- and -----\-----

When I saw the vid I was like yeah we all got our ways of doing things, but now as I feel like I've hit a wall this is one thing that always bugged me. After all it was Paul Gilbert saying that and he seemed like he knew his shit (obviously).

Any help?
Thanks!
-Jonathan

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #1444
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc89konkari
*stuff*

It's unlikely that that is what's causing you to plateau, I would suggest it's likely to be an issue with your economy of motion, relaxation or posture. Without seeing you play it's impossible to say what it actually is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #1445
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Couple of questions:

1) When you hold your pick, how much material is sticking out UNDER your thumb ? When I look at it from a regular point of view I only see about 2 mm sticking out, but when I turn it around it's almost 5 mm, if you know what I mean.

2) Practice clean or distorted/effects/etcetera ?

3) What is a good practice volume ? I'm almost playing for a year and I've always played with my amp on ''Conversation volume'', until I cranked it up once and came to the conclusion that I am incredibly sloppy.

4) Last but not least: is it a bad habit to bend you finger slighty inwards if you need to fret multiple strings ? For example, the third finger when playing a powerchord ?

1) does it matter? I conform to roughly what you're saying but the important thing is that the grip is relaxed and you use the tip of the pick.

2) Both!

3) If you can turn up occasionally, do so. Beware messing up your ears!

4) Slightly, you want it flat, but not bent backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAlacoque

How am I?

You're basically using all downstrokes for the intro, this is pretty terrible to be honest and it's affecting your timing.

Aside from that your right hand looks pretty good - relaxed and sounding clear.

Left hand as well is generally good.

Your vibrato is a bit narrow and fast - generally you want it even and slightly wider.

There's no glaring errors in your playing (except that you favour downstrokes too much!) and all you really need to do is keep getting everything slightly neater, tighter and more consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroSD
bad video quality and just noodling. still interested in hearing your thoughts

Generally quite nice, do be careful to get your bends in tune and that notes are fairly even and have good tone - sometimes pull off or picking runs become weak sounding.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #1446
fc89konkari
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's unlikely that that is what's causing you to plateau, I would suggest it's likely to be an issue with your economy of motion, relaxation or posture. Without seeing you play it's impossible to say what it actually is though.

Thanks for the input dude! Really appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7IEHEcaCg&feature=plcp

That's a pretty recent video of me playing. I don't know if it helps as the quality sucks, it's not a practising video nor does it have that fast alternative picking and there's only one angle, but I thought I'd give it a shot

-Jonathan

Last edited by fc89konkari : 08-18-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #1447
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc89konkari
Thanks for the input dude! Really appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7IEHEcaCg&feature=plcp

That's a pretty recent video of me playing. I don't know if it helps as the quality sucks, it's not a practising video nor does it have that fast alternative picking and there's only one angle, but I thought I'd give it a shot

-Jonathan

Your fretting hand needs the most work; your economy of motion with it is pretty damn bad but make no mistake your picking hand needs a lot of work as well. Watch your motion in every direction and tighten it up as much as you can, that will help.

Try and watch a live video of Iced Earth and look at what Jon Schaffer does, his picking motion is one of the best I have ever seen. He doesn't play lead much, if at all, but that kind of economy of motion and relaxation is something everyone can aim for.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #1448
YamiFrankc
Mexicano

Hello.
So this video wasn't intended to be posted here, but I think I will post it anyway.
The video(and in parts audio) quality is bad, but I hope I can get comments .
Please ignore the song is played wrong
Carvin 112 cab in White

Last edited by YamiFrankc : 08-19-2012 at 12:56 AM.
YamiFrankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #1449
fc89konkari
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Your fretting hand needs the most work; your economy of motion with it is pretty damn bad but make no mistake your picking hand needs a lot of work as well. Watch your motion in every direction and tighten it up as much as you can, that will help.

Try and watch a live video of Iced Earth and look at what Jon Schaffer does, his picking motion is one of the best I have ever seen. He doesn't play lead much, if at all, but that kind of economy of motion and relaxation is something everyone can aim for.

I checked a guitar lesson by him. It seemed like he could downpick just about anything lol. But about my own technique, I thought the problems were more in my picking hand because once it gets too fast, my picking hands the one that doesn't keep up.

So anyway, how could I improve my economy of motion? I know what it means but how exactly should I go with improving it?

-Jonathan

Old 08-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #1450
schecter ftw
UG Freak

http://soundcloud.com/michaelbutler/so-what

How can I improve my jazz improv? As my friend put it: "The free improvisation was technically good, but mechanic, too plain. Just doesn't give the idea of "wow, that was awesome"". How can I go about making it "wow, that was awesome". (Sorry if this sounds ******ed I'm pretty sleepy.)

Fender American Telecaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
schecter ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #1451
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter ftw
http://soundcloud.com/michaelbutler/so-what

How can I improve my jazz improv? As my friend put it: "The free improvisation was technically good, but mechanic, too plain. Just doesn't give the idea of "wow, that was awesome"". How can I go about making it "wow, that was awesome". (Sorry if this sounds ******ed I'm pretty sleepy.)

It's rhythmically very plain; you seem to be working with a very limited palette in that sense. Try playing with much more varied rhythm ideas. I can't really pick out much else though, maybe throw in more obviously outside notes?

I think this question would be better off in Musician Talk though personally.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #1452
schecter ftw
UG Freak

Thank you very much for your input. Would you say this version is more rhythmicly diverse?

http://soundcloud.com/michaelbutler...o-so-what-miles

Fender American Telecaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark V combo
schecter ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #1453
rhesaccc

Hi, new here.
Here's a vid of me doing the spider exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4B...eature=youtu.be

Sorry there's no audio, regardless can someone comment on this? Am I bad?
Im not happy with how my pinkie moves.

Thanks fellas
rhesaccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #1454
Slashiepie
Banged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesaccc
Hi, new here.
Here's a vid of me doing the spider exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4B...eature=youtu.be

Sorry there's no audio, regardless can someone comment on this? Am I bad?
Im not happy with how my pinkie moves.

Thanks fellas

Your pinky is being shot back, way more than it is necessary. This means poor control over it and probably excessive tension (1:13), on 1:22 you are curling it back and not using it, you are also angling your hand and needlessly hanging your thumb on the neck 1:28. This is bad technique and it becomes apparent once you started to speed up. You should play fast the same way you started the video.

Your thumb was sometimes not perpendicular to the neck, and probably most of the time, but i still can't see through wood.

There is no audio, but something tells me the tempo would be pretty inconsistent. Why u no post with audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.

Last edited by Slashiepie : 08-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Slashiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #1455
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Do this for finger control.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #1456
Viban
UG's resident bum

would ya'll mind giving my technique a look-over? I just wanna make sure I don't hurt myself ya know? I tried implementing different things to show you guys a variety, but I can make video's of me doing other things or go into more detail on one part if needed. I am well aware that I messed up some, the camera has that effect on me.

also I am well aware of my appearance, I pulled an all-nighter and just got out of the garage before this.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #1457
Anon17

Your left hand economy of motion looks decent, but there are times where your wrist is at an awkward angle and you really should try to hold the guitar neck a bit higher and further out at those points instead of bending your wrist at that angle.

Your pinky curls up at times when it shouldn't, e.g. 0:57 - Your pinky shot back for that pulloff which indicates excess tension in your picking hand. Make sure you're relaxed, I'm almost certain you'll have excess tension in your fretting hand fingers, right hand, right forearm and right shoulder.

When tapping it's hard to tell how good your technique is as you're playing with distortion (tapping clean is much harder to have consistent volume for example), but it looks to me like you're tensing up a bit for the pull offs after the tap. You also need to mute with the lower strings with your right hand a bit better - Try applying only enough pressure to touch the strings, as too much pressure causes sliding noises with gain when you move your right hand about when tapping.

On the sweeping part, your left hand moves waaaay too much (especially your pinky) and you need to work on your muting - Have a look at this video, pay attention to the part about left hand muting and relaxing your fingers instead of taking them off the strings: www.youtube.com/watch?v=phMUH6gkAMw

For the last picking bit, the main thing that struck me was muting. In general I'd recommend you work on your muting, left hand economy of motion and make sure to relax.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #1458
Viban
UG's resident bum

Working on the angle thing, my knee fits right into the a crook of this thing perfectly at the right angle, thanks.

That is a really bad habit that I built before I started working on finger independence. thank you for pointing out that curl-pulloff thing I do, I didn't even notice it but after doingit slowly it certainly does feel tense to do it.

I actually hear that sliding sound you're talking about, I think its because I went from .46 .36 .26 .17 .13 .10 to .36 .26 .17 .13 .10 .10 strings, so I'm still getting used to the need for a lighter touch, so I'm hitting harder than necessary.

I'm going to attribute the hand moving thing to the fact that I anchor my left hand to the neck underneath the first joint. Another really bad habit that I really should work on, along with my muting.
Did the notes at least sound evenly spaced? That was one problem I really used to have.

finally I've never really been able to find a mute that works for me, they either cause me to do really uncomfortable things or I just can't get them to work, but that video you sent me looks like I might be able to do that one.

thanks alot man.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #1459
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
I went from .46 .36 .26 .17 .13 .10 to .36 .26 .17 .13 .10 .10 strings

How come you're using that set of strings? What tuning? That second set seems like it'd only really work for certain tunings like ADGBEE...

Quote:
Did the notes at least sound evenly spaced? That was one problem I really used to have.

Which part do you mean? For the tapping, it's a bit hard to tell with the noise but I think it tends to stay evenly spaced in one position but when you move positions there is a definite gap between the notes.

Quote:
finally I've never really been able to find a mute that works for me, they either cause me to do really uncomfortable things or I just can't get them to work, but that video you sent me looks like I might be able to do that one.

Muting will feel really uncomfortable and unnatural at first, but it's absolutely 100% essential to get good muting technique for electric guitar. Try watching Freepower's muting technique video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1460
Viban
UG's resident bum

no I meant the sweeping.

Also I was unaware it was supposed to be that way, I always just figured if it feels wrong, stop.

Rate This Thread: