Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #1461
Anon17

It depends what you mean by wrong - If it feels painful then you're probably doing it wrong but if it just feels uncomfortable (like practicing something new) then it might just be a lack of practice. Check out Freepower's video for muting anyway, takes practice to consistently be able to mute all the strings but it's well worth learning.

The sweeping just sounds like it needs more practice, but I don't hear any major timing issues. You definitely need to slow down though for now.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1462
Syndromed
French guy

Hi,

I made a video about my right hand, I'm curious, what motion I use (translation, oscilation, rotation). I guess it's translation, but I'm not totally sure !

And, my motions are correct ? (economical enough ?)

Here the video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRC3bxO67io&feature=plcp

Other question, I read the whole technique thread in the archive (about 160 pages I guess) and I'm a little bit confused : what motion Paul Gilbert use ?

Thanks !!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #1463
Anon17

I'd forget about what type of motion you use - It's not really that important in the end unless you've got absolutely solid picking technique anyway. Almost everyone uses more than one motion at the same time for their picking technique.

Your economy of motion seems pretty good, keep practicing and it looks like it'll work out. Make sure you're completely relaxed though - Check for tension in your shoulders, forearm, wrist and your fingers (especially the ones holding the pick, hold it loose!). I'm not sure if you're relaxed or not from the video but it's always worth checking =)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #1464
Syndromed
French guy

It was just because I'm curious, of course it doesn't matter :p

I'm totally relaxed, I'm sure. My weirds fingers are always like that, relaxed or not ...
I work a lot on relaxation, and it works.

Thank for your answer Anon17!

Ps: can someone else answer about my motion question ? Thanks!

Last edited by Syndromed : 09-05-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Syndromed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #1465
Syndromed
French guy

Someone please ...?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #1466
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Good stuff here Anon!

Looks like mostly rotation and oscill to me, which is my personal preference and pretty common.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #1467
Syndromed
French guy

I was a little afraid because I often read that translation (until a certain speed) will limit the speed and when we hit this speed, the wrist locks up to the point that the whole forearm is moving.

I'm glad!

Thank you Freepower, and Anon17 !!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1468
Freepower

By often read, do you mean you just re-read the tuck andress thing?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #1469
Syndromed
French guy

No ... I read the whole technique thread in the archives, and saw it some times.

But ... you have reason as well, I use the tuck andress to build my phrase because I'm french and I didn't know how to say it ... I'm sorry.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #1470
Freepower

Votre anglais c'est plus bien par le francais de freepower.

Hopefully you can tell what I meant to say.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #1471
Syndromed
French guy

Nice answer Freepower, it made me smile

Anyways, thank you again.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #1472
bdof

I was gonna make a thread for this Q, thought I'd ask here first...

Found a drummer about few weeks ago (work with him), and we've been working on my personal songs since starting to practice. Doing good so far, 5 heavy metal songs done in 6-7 practices, 4+ hours per practice. We're still learning how to pitch ideas and brainstorm, but it's going great minus an issue or two there.

We all know what 16th notes are here, so it goes without saying that most know what a "triplet" is. 1-2-3, starting on the downbeat.
I'm having a hard time explaining to him the difference between "triplets" and a "gallop" on the kick (double bass).
Yes, both are 16th notes in groups of 3. BUT, the gallop ENDS on the downbeat instead of beginning on the downbeat.

He's a big musical sheet reader, I'm not.
He understands general theory better, I'm ok.

I just need a better way to explain it I think. He's not used to playing triplets, but can gallop like a horse
I guess it's just more natural to gallop rather than do triplet on the kick
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #1473
guitarnotes

Ditto what edg said
guitarnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #1474
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
Yes, both are 16th notes in groups of 3. BUT, the gallop ENDS on the downbeat instead of beginning on the downbeat.

This is the problem with your explanation - They aren't both 16th notes. A gallop is an 8th note followed by two 16ths, a reverse gallop is two 16ths followed by an 8th.

A triplet is three evenly spaced notes lasting in total one beat. You can think of triplets as "halfway" inbetween 8ths (two notes per beat) and 16ths (four notes per beat) if you wish.

At the same tempo, triplets are "slower" than playing gallops (because they lack 16th notes) but are evenly spread and don't have the 8th note like gallops to create the quick three notes then break effect.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #1475
bdof

That makes a little more sense. The 8th note references make me understand the gallop and even reverse gallops (not to be confused with triplets, like I thought at first), but I'm not sure we're on the same page about triplets.

Your form of saying a triplet sounds more like 3/4 timing where it sounds like 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, where the 1 alternates from downbeat on beats 1 & 3, and upbeats on 2 & 4.
Mine is strictly on 4/4 for this example. It sounds like it should actually be (starting on the 1 or downbeat) two 16th notes followed by an 8th note, because of the gap it leaves. Maybe I'm answering my own question now

Either way, until my drummer becomes more comfortable playing MY explanation of triplets, he's just gonna smack that kick on the downbeat of 4th notes and "triplet" on a lower pitched tom sounds pretty good, and no fist fights from arguing.

Last edited by bdof : 09-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1476
Anon17

You're talking about reverse gallops then, not triplets. Triplets are always evenly spaced notes. In 4/4 you'd get:

1-Trip-Let-2-Trip-Let-3-Trip-Let-4-Trip-Let

Also, something you should know: The time signature (4/4, 3/4 etc...) has nothing to do with whether something is a triplet or a gallop...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #1477
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alusby1
Hey everyone. I have been playing guitar for 7 years and have just never found anything that great to teach myself to solo. I have been in many bands and just never had the creativity or skills that other guitarists around me did. I found this website that REALLY works and helped me a ton! I feel like a pro now! Obviously it takes some work to master any skill and this is no different. You still have to practice, learn, etc. but this is a very good teaching tool to learn guitar soloing. Let me know if you guys have any questions. I put the link below. Just really excited I finally found something that helped me and the whole program is under $50 which I can actually afford as oppose to the expensive lessons I had initially signed up for Ignore all the jargon they put at the top of their site if you want to save time, it goes on and on about how good their product is etc. but that's what I'm here saying You can just scroll to the bottom and start right in, really glad I found it, let me know what you guys thought about it whoever buys it. Email me at *links removed*

*reported* again. If you are indeed real, keep it to one thread. Or better than that... don't post.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #1478
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

Hey dudes, heres a cover of Ben Monder's flippin hard composition 'orbits'... I'm playing this for my final music exam in about a month or so, so any feedback would be appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_l...eature=youtu.be
WishfulShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #1479
Syndromed
French guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulShredder
Hey dudes, heres a cover of Ben Monder's flippin hard composition 'orbits'... I'm playing this for my final music exam in about a month or so, so any feedback would be appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_l...eature=youtu.be

What a weird song ! I guess, it's good ... but not sure, maybe someone who knows this song will answer you.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #1480
lanksale
Banned

Talking

The Outstanding Guitar Video Course
Comprehensive Online Guitar Lessons Program For Beginner And Intermediate Students. The Outstanding Guitar Video Course Helps Aspiring Guitarists To Excel In Their Playing Quickly And Easily. Affiliates Receive 50% Of The (1) Time Student

[SIZE=2]It helped me learn Dark Side of the Moon !!
lanksale is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: