Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #1501
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys would be so kind as to listen to this cover (lead guitar only) and tell me what you think.

Arch Enemy- Intermezzo Liberté (instrumental song)

https://soundcloud.com/#hermaphrodi...zo-libert-cover

I've been playing for a bit more than 2.5 years; my main focus has been lead guitar. Because my focus has been on lead guitar I can't actually do the rhythm behind this, especially the beginning, and I'm really starting to see my shortcomings.

This song pretty much represents the foundation of my slow-game lead technique. (what fast game?) I hate my phrasing the most; in my opinion the trills are atrocious, the bends are noticeably off, and my vibrato is... so-so. Timing also needs work. There's a sloppy pinch harmonic during the second chorus (it is a chorus right?) which is a good indication of my ability to throw those in there as well.

I have spent a great deal of the past year drilling arpeggios and alternate picking lines Malmsteen style and I think it shines through later on in this recording. What I mean by that is the shreddy improvised part almost sounds as good as the rest of the recording.

Couldn't do the shreddy part note for note and I don't want to, so I improv'd it and put a nice b5 (F#) note in there at the end; I think it could work nicely if my phrasing was better.

Also, I would have put the original recording as a backing track but I don't think that's legal.

So yeah, how am I doing? What aspect of my lead playing needs work the most according to this recording? Am I on the right track with my learning?

Last edited by JimDawson : 12-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1502
FirasKordi

hey guys.....ive been playing for 1 year and 3 months , but am self taught 100% so i want someone to criticize my technique if its well , can anyone tell me a song or a lick to play and record and post it here to analyze my technique plz
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #1503
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
What is my technique like in this video? I just stuck with a basic Ab minor arpeggio shape in root position. I used a line 6 spider III 15w amp so it's not that great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-e...channel&list=UL

Bump.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1504
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Bump.

Looks and sounds fine but I really don't think it helps much; it's only one shape and it has no context. Theoretically fine but not much of a way of judging anything.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #1505
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Looks and sounds fine but I really don't think it helps much; it's only one shape and it has no context. Theoretically fine but not much of a way of judging anything.

Should I do a progression? I just want to make sure that the technique looks right.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #1506
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Should I do a progression? I just want to make sure that the technique looks right.

Any real world application, if that's sweeping through a certain progression to you then that's fine. The most important thing is that you can keep up good technique while actually using what you've learned.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #1507
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Hi, just a short question and didn't want to start a new thread for it

I've been playing for a couple of years and wonder about this terrible chord Bb/A# major played from the A string (x13331). Although I usually don't play full chords, when I do I've always avoided it and rather played 68876x(6) because I can't seem to consistently get it without buzz. If I put 3 fingers in there, one gets too close to the previous fret which increases chance of buzzing. And I can't seem to barre them without either muting the high E or barring that as well. Additionally, I don't even have thick fingers so there is no excuse.

This makes me wonder how most people play it. I strongly dislike chords with this pattern in general though they are easier higher up, the minor ones are fine as well.
Any tips or keep avoiding these (which will be somewhat limiting)? Bar D&G with ring and the B with pinky? Cheers!

Last edited by fanapathy : 12-22-2012 at 02:56 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #1508
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
Hi, just a short question and didn't want to start a new thread for it

I've been playing for a couple of years and wonder about this terrible chord Bb/A# major played from the A string (x13331). Although I usually don't play full chords, when I do I've always avoided it and rather played 68876x(6) because I can't seem to consistently get it without buzz. If I put 3 fingers in there, one gets too close to the previous fret which increases chance of buzzing. And I can't seem to barre them without either muting the high E or barring that as well. Additionally, I don't even have thick fingers so there is no excuse.

This makes me wonder how most people play it. I strongly dislike chords with this pattern in general though they are easier higher up, the minor ones are fine as well.
Any tips or keep avoiding these (which will be somewhat limiting)? Bar D&G with ring and the B with pinky? Cheers!

And you still can't figure out what the problem is?

Go with the 3 fingers in the third fret version and keep at it, you'll get it in time.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #1509
SrThompson

I play (xx3331)

Or try to do finger stretch exercises to improve your fingers range. Try to play the chord in wholes, then in half, then in quarters. To play it and go to D, etc.
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #1510
hamza hashmi

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...&type=2&theater

i was making a classic rock based solo, the decided to upload a video. so i didnt use much technique here but still. judge my recording+ technique. ( use the one on soundcloud for judging recording). p.s youtube is banned in pakistan, so its facebook.
hamza hashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #1511
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza hashmi

i was making a classic rock based solo, the decided to upload a video. so i didnt use much technique here but still. judge my recording+ technique. ( use the one on soundcloud for judging recording). p.s youtube is banned in pakistan, so its facebook.

Very sloppy in general, you have a lot of work to do.

The thing you need to work on most is bending in tune and getting your vibrato in order; bending must always be to a specific pitch and vibrato should be as absolutely controlled as everything else you do.

The fast playing isn't entirely a mess but you do need to work on it a fair bit; slow down and make sure you're playing cleanly because you're not right now.

Finally, make sure you're following what the backing does; when it changes your playing goes on like nothing has changed. Follow it more closely.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 12-23-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #1512
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
What is my technique like in this video? I just stuck with a basic Ab minor arpeggio shape in root position. I used a line 6 spider III 15w amp so it's not that great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-e...channel&list=UL

Looks and sounds fine to me - you might be fluffing a few notes in the middle of the sweep, make sure to get everything and not just the top and bottom super clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDawson
Hello, I was wondering if any of you guys would be so kind as to listen to this cover (lead guitar only) and tell me what you think.

Arch Enemy- Intermezzo Liberté (instrumental song)

https://soundcloud.com/#hermaphrodi...zo-libert-cover

I've been playing for a bit more than 2.5 years; my main focus has been lead guitar. Because my focus has been on lead guitar I can't actually do the rhythm behind this, especially the beginning, and I'm really starting to see my shortcomings.

This song pretty much represents the foundation of my slow-game lead technique. (what fast game?) I hate my phrasing the most; in my opinion the trills are atrocious, the bends are noticeably off, and my vibrato is... so-so. Timing also needs work. There's a sloppy pinch harmonic during the second chorus (it is a chorus right?) which is a good indication of my ability to throw those in there as well.

I have spent a great deal of the past year drilling arpeggios and alternate picking lines Malmsteen style and I think it shines through later on in this recording. What I mean by that is the shreddy improvised part almost sounds as good as the rest of the recording.

Couldn't do the shreddy part note for note and I don't want to, so I improv'd it and put a nice b5 (F#) note in there at the end; I think it could work nicely if my phrasing was better.

Also, I would have put the original recording as a backing track but I don't think that's legal.

So yeah, how am I doing? What aspect of my lead playing needs work the most according to this recording? Am I on the right track with my learning?

Lots of really sloppy stuff, notes cut off ahead of time, string noise blurts.

Most importantly, bends MUST be in tune, if they're not it's just not worth doing. Timing is very sloppy. I wouldn't work on any fast stuff until you can keep time and bend in tune.

Your vibrato is not really together either, but when you work on your bending technique try and get it wider and the timing more consistent.

Also, the shreddy bits are awful - the right hand and left hand must be fretting and striking the string in synch or it's just a mess, it bears no semblance to any well executed fast line, in terms of sound or physical execution. In order of importance -

1. Timekeeping
2. String noise
3. Bending in tune

Without 1 and 2 you can't play a green day riff, let alone a Yngwie solo. Those three points alone will make you sound great, get them solid then work on advanced stuff.

Quote:

Again -

1. Timekeeping
2. String noise
3. Bending in tune

Can't emphasize it enough.

In terms of developing technique, this vid might help you in future -

Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #1513
hamza hashmi

wow thanks. i didnt realize my bends were not in tune.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #1514
hamza hashmi

wow your ears are really sensitive. after listening to my improv a 100 times i noticed the string noise.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #1515
hamza hashmi

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...&type=3&theater

okay heres another one. this time ive played all the techniques i know or could think of at the moment. please judge the sweeps easily because i know they suck. i improved my bends and vibrato too.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #1516
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...&type=3&theater

okay heres another one. this time ive played all the techniques i know or could think of at the moment. please judge the sweeps easily because i know they suck. i improved my bends and vibrato too.

Slow. Down.

Your fast playing is a complete mess, you need to slow down a lot and practice a hell of a lot more before you're going to be able to play at those kind of speeds.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #1517
hamza hashmi

can you give me more details.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #1518
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
can you give me more details.

You're missing most of the notes you're trying to hit, your hands completely lack synchronization. It's coming out as a garbled mess of dead notes and poor tone.

SLOW. DOWN. Your hands cannot get up to that speed cleanly so slow down to the point where you can play cleanly, consistently and make it sound good.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #1519
hamza hashmi

okay. i understand.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1520
steven seagull
not really a seagull

always better to play something simple but play it well as opposed to screwing up something that's harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: