User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #1561
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
You didn't realize it, but after the turn around, at the end of the video you landed on a tension note. The 11th, which sounded brilliant.

I think it was before the unison bend as I got up to turn the camera off.

Well, I'm sure you're bigging me up a bit, but thanks anyway I have some stuff to work on and I'll see if I can implement them tomorrow.

Coming soon to a thread near you...

Thanks again mate, and Zaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #1562
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I get it now. The 1e and a 2 means 16th notes. So I could change that to anything. The 4 syllables just indicate how many notes you play per click.

So 1 e and a 2 and 3 would be 16th and 8th notes followed by whatever the 3 would be...?

Quote:

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #1563
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Yes correct. Make sure the notes are evenly spaced within the beat. Check with your teacher that you're doing it right. Cuz I can't hear it obviously.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #1564
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Hey again! It's me again!

So I've tried to take what you chappies said on board. And please bear in mind that I've had to kinda mess around with the riffs that I played to add the advice you've given me, so it may not sound as pretty, (maybe it does) but I wanted to demonstrate that I kinda understood what you wanted from me. To add in different timing patterns to my riffs. I'm not saying it's gonna be great, but I was hoping you'd see that I got the idea.

If the playing sounds a bit off it's because the action is a bit low on my Strat and I'm not 100% used to it, I don't think it's that bad but you might :P. I know there's a point in the middle where I revert back to old habits. Any words on the technique, tone etc is also appreciated, I'd say this is kinda typical really, except that I'm trying to make riffs up on the fly.

I've also included the first video so you can review it if you want to wthout having to go back to the other page.

Anyway, thanks again!

New Video.

Old Video.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-31-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #1565
Demian1695

hi!!!

here is a solo video!!!

i think i should work harder on my sweeps
Demian1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1566
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

The experts are busy methinks x

Quote:

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #1567
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Yes mate, it's sounding good, and rhythmically it was more varied. When you end a phrase, I notice you land on the root quite often. Try different notes in the scale, or even better, a chord tone (other than the root).

Look into Q&A phrasing ideas as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #1568
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Yes mate, it's sounding good, and rhythmically it was more varied. When you end a phrase, I notice you land on the root quite often. Try different notes in the scale, or even better, a chord tone (other than the root).

Look into Q&A phrasing ideas as well.

Hey. Thanks.

So you mean I should be looking to end on either I, III OR V if a major progression or the I, minor 3rd or V on a minor progression. As an example?

I have a lesson with my teacher in a couple of days, first in a few months and we were speaking and as I know the major scale well, know my pentatonic and blues scale inside out its time to work on phrasing and analysing solos, so that's what we're gonna do. And I think that's the right thing to do next

Q&A? Is that where someone plays a riff (the question) and you have to play it (reply/answer) in all or certain positions?

If yes. Where should I start? If no, what is it?

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #1569
Shred_Guitar_

Allright, this has nothing musical in it. It's just some random stuff.

Well, I know I messed up the slide early on in the solo and it's pretty sloppy, not to mention the awful quality. I've been playing for roughly 3 years, by the way.
Shred_Guitar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #1570
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred_Guitar_
Allright, this has nothing musical in it. It's just some random stuff.

Then what's the point?

Also: can't see a damn thing going on in the video. Get better lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #1571
Shred_Guitar_

Quote:
Then what's the point?

The point would be to get hints to improve technique, as the title says.

Last edited by Shred_Guitar_ : 01-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #1572
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
The point would be to get hints to improve technique, as the title says.

If you're not using it musically it doesn't matter. Technique without application is worth about as much as a Zimbabwean dollar.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #1573
Shred_Guitar_

Quote:
If you're not using it musically it doesn't matter. Technique without application is worth about as much as a Zimbabwean dollar.

With "nothing musical" I'm not saying it's some atonal chromatic stuff anyway...I don't know how to say it, could you please take a look?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #1574
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
With "nothing musical" I'm not saying it's some atonal chromatic stuff anyway...I don't know how to say it, could you please take a look?

Well you said it wasn't musical. Record something you think is musical.

I did also tell you, however, that I can't see what your hands are doing because the lighting is terrible.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #1575
Shred_Guitar_

Quote:
Well you said it wasn't musical. Record something you think is musical.

That's as musical as I can get...sad, isn't it? I'm working on it though...I'm trying...

Quote:
I did also tell you, however, that I can't see what your hands are doing because the lighting is terrible.

So you did watch it? I know it's a bit dark, I guess I'll try and record something with better light, tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #1576
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
That's as musical as I can get...sad, isn't it? I'm working on it though...I'm trying...

So you did watch it? I know it's a bit dark, I guess I'll try and record something with better light, tomorrow.

I'd say learn a song that you find difficult and then when you start to have trouble, post your progress. Try and find a song that has the techniques you used in the video.

Or use a backing track and improvise. If you don't know any scales, or can't play to a backing track you should be doing that. Learning songs, Hendrix, Led Zep etc and then learn the Pentatonics and how they relate them to the Major Scale, and learn the major scale and go from there.

You sound like you may have to start from that point. I've been playing years but I really spent the vast amount of it learning songs and not really looking at them.

Only in the last year have I really been hardcore learning scales, theory etc. And only now am I really focusing on phrasing.

What songs can you play? Maybe post you playing one of the songs that you feel you can play well, but have some trouble with up? What bands/guitarists etc do you like?

Thats just my advice for progress. I'll help where I can, but I don't feel like I should be judging technique as such, but I will tell you that you should be slowing it down and practicing it in order to play it cleaner.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #1577
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Hey. Thanks.

So you mean I should be looking to end on either I, III OR V if a major progression or the I, minor 3rd or V on a minor progression. As an example?

Just whatever chord is playing at the time. The 3rd is the most important chord tone. But that is theory stuff, which learning it really sheds some light on how to improve your improvisation.
Quote:
I have a lesson with my teacher in a couple of days, first in a few months and we were speaking and as I know the major scale well, know my pentatonic and blues scale inside out its time to work on phrasing and analysing solos, so that's what we're gonna do. And I think that's the right thing to do next

Hopefully he's got some good phrasing ideas to put forward.
Quote:
Q&A? Is that where someone plays a riff (the question) and you have to play it (reply/answer) in all or certain positions?

You play both! You can make your own up, but the best way is to transcribe from the source that be great blues players.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #1578
FirasKordi

Zaphod....I tried doing what u advised me by moving the elbow not the wrist while sweeping , but it was a complete mess , its really hard for me to sweep from the whole arm but when i use the wrist it gets better........what should i do
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #1579
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi
Zaphod....I tried doing what u advised me by moving the elbow not the wrist while sweeping , but it was a complete mess , its really hard for me to sweep from the whole arm but when i use the wrist it gets better........what should i do

Well for a start it really depends what you're doing with the sweep; if you're just going up and then down again in quick succession then you can get away with just using the wrist - you don't need to keep the wrist in a neutral position throughout because it returns to the original position so quickly.

That said... keep working, of course it's hard - playing guitar well is bloody hard.

Quote:

Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #1580
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Thanks mcd. I'll keep you updated hehe.

One thing that I think is important to add.

When I decided at the beginning of last year that I was gonna stop just learning songs and aimlessly playing notes that sounded right together, and start trying to understand the songs, the scales, progressions etc, I was kick started by not being able to play the Sweet Child O' Mine rundown In the solo.

So I started speed training doing a chromatic drill type thing at 16th notes, and when I decided it was stupid after a couple of weeks as it's all I was doing all day I could push myself to around 120-125bpm 16th notes, but was really comfortable at around 110-115 bpm.

Around 9 months later, (today) without doing it since, but by working on technique by slowing things down, improvising on backing tracks in all keys and learning the major scale and blues and pentatonic I can now comfortably do 130bpm 16th note clean, 135 for a while before I start to tire and can maintain 145bpm if I push myself, but I'll make mistakes after a short while, noticeable with muting when running down and misplacing my fingers.

These drills are pointless, but I realised I hadn't tested myself for a while and there we go, real results. Just by playing songs and having fun. That's 20%. Also, I can run scales a lot faster. I was really shocked.

A few posts ago when I said 'I can't play at that speed'. I'm making riffs right now at that speed It's just about finding out a pattern that could unlock it. So ya, I'll be shredding in no time!

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Rate This Thread: