Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #1581
dietermoreno

The link to the channel that I found didn't help me, because I am such an idiot that I don't understand anything that he is saying in a 2 minute video lesson.

I feel like I would need an hour long idiot proof video to explain everything that he is saying in each 2 minute video lesson.
dietermoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #1582
Emorak

The audio's not the best as it was late, I already know I'm a messy player (sound-wise) and I'm fixing that. My main question is, when I play sitting down like so, I tend to slant my hand and my fingers seems to go in every direction xD (I have really bent fingers naturally)

Just looking at my finger technique is there anywhere I can improve on? If so, I'll do another video with louder Guitar
Emorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #1583
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emorak
[url]

Just looking at my finger technique is there anywhere I can improve on?

There's always room for improvement. The video was good actually, maybe the vibrato was a little weak -but that could be the desired effect, too-.
Is there anything you want to improve on yourself ?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #1584
Emorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
There's always room for improvement. The video was good actually, maybe the vibrato was a little weak -but that could be the desired effect, too-.
Is there anything you want to improve on yourself ?

There are a few aspects I would like to improve on, my biggest (like previously stated) would be my cleanliness with high gain.

I've tried the clean channel and metronome methods for a while, but to no avail.

The problem I have is not having 2 fingers on the fretboard at any given time, causing them to ring out with one another. It's when I lift off, that's where my problem lies.
Emorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #1585
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emorak
There are a few aspects I would like to improve on, my biggest (like previously stated) would be my cleanliness with high gain.

I've tried the clean channel and metronome methods for a while, but to no avail.

The problem I have is not having 2 fingers on the fretboard at any given time, causing them to ring out with one another. It's when I lift off, that's where my problem lies.

If you make another video practicing with high gain it will be easier to see what you're doing wrong, but what I can give you right now are some basic mutinG techniques.

Left (fret) hand muting: Use your index flesh to bar the lower strings, and the tip of your index to mute the above string.

Right (pick) hand muting: Make sure all the strings that aren't muted with your left hand are muted with your right, simple as that.

And about the lift-off issue. By lifting off, do you mean stuff like this:
Code:
e|-12h15p12--12-12h15p12--12-12h15p12--12-12h15p12--12-| B|---------15-----------15-----------15-----------15---| G|-----------------------------------------------------|

My guess is that, your issue is the E and B string ringing out together after you do the pull-off, and you only want to hear to B ?

If that's the case:
1) lift it off after picking the note but keep the movement small enough for your finger flesh to mute the string immediately

Let's say you're hammering/pulling of the high E with your ring/3rd finger, and fretting the B string with your middle/2nd.
Make sure you are:
-Using your index tip to mute the open B string
-Using your middle-finger to mute the high E when playing the B.
-Muting the rest of the above strings with your picking hand

It's a bit tricky at first, but you'll get used to it.

Last edited by My Last Words : 01-17-2013 at 06:32 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #1586
robbit10
Exploring Metal

Been trying to improvise on backing tracks. My technique is bad. I sometimes hit other strings than the ones I am supposed to be playing, and I tend to miss notes, play a wrong note even though I know the scale pattern, or have a failed slide or some notes don't ring out at all. Also, every time I have a melody and I try to play it again the exact same way as it was before, I always tend to play different notes making it hard for me to create a repeating melody inside an improvisation.

What can I do to improve my playing?
(The video is black in the beginning but fades in when the lead starts)

Last edited by robbit10 : 01-22-2013 at 08:31 AM.
robbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #1587
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

One thing that will really help is mentally hearing your phrases as loudly and clearly as you can. This will improve your timing and phrasing.

As goes technique, there's a lot of excess left hand motion, take a look at this -

I would also suggest widening and slowing down your vibrato, which sounds much more lyrical and confident for rock ballad soloing.

I'd also like to say that you're doing ok, you are obviously trying to create melodic, organized solos, and this attitude will definitely pay off in the long run!
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #1588
Bastyn99
Ustered Regiser

These are the only three vids Ive ever recorded. The first two are pretty old, the last one is kinda old but not much has changed since.

I would like to ask you (thread creator) and everyone else to help me with a practice program, if its okey to ask that here. I feel I am stuck and not improving. As I said, the BFMV video is 9 months old and Im not really any better now than I was then, which is pretty bad. I think its mainly because I don't practice technique but just play random songs. But I just don't know how I should proceed.

I have time and stamina for around 1-2 hours of playing a day, but probably only motivation for 30-45 min. practice. I know all the basic techniques, but I haven't mastered any of them. I particularly struggle with fast and precise picking and big cords, and I can't tap or sweep pick, I suck at economy (not alt. picking) and string skipping and I can't finger pick for the life of me.

So based on what you can see in my videos, can you help me make a daily/weekly practice schedule for improving my overall speed, precision, dexterity or technique?
Bastyn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #1589
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Make a new video and compare it to the BFMV vid. You might be surprised with the progress you've made.

Quote:
I think its mainly because I don't practice technique but just play random songs.

Then just practice your ass off. Work on the techniques you want to improve on. Struggling with precise picking and strummin chords? Then work on your picking and strumming technique.

Improving = practicing.

Last edited by My Last Words : 01-27-2013 at 07:48 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #1590
Syndromed
French guy

Hello,

Can you criticize my video ? How is my technique (not too big motions ? good wrist motion ? etc ... ) and how is the sound/quality please ?

It's the first J.S Bach Violin Sonata (presto movement), I adapted it for the guitar ... there are a lot of arppegios and strings skipping. Frankly, it's hard ^^''
The whole song is played with alternate picking (except 2 small phrase at the beginning)

Thank you in advance.

Syndromed
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #1591
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Generally pretty impressive I must say, one thing to watch out for is making sure that in the phrases where it repeats the same pattern a few times in different places, make absolutely sure you're muting and letting things ring in the same places in the pattern throughout.

Also I do think your picking motion is too big for the most part but obviously you're not playing anything really fast so it's not very easy to judge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #1592
Syndromed
French guy

It's just a choice to be frank, I don't want to let ring the notes, I could just let my fingers on the pattern and move my right hand but ... I find it easier than "cut" every note and move my fingers for every note ... I like difficulty ^^'
But it's true, it would sound better if I let ring the notes.

For the motions, I practiced a lot slowly to do small motions ... you know, with this kind of piece, it's very difficult due to the big movements, big strings skippings, big arppegios etc ... but I will practice more to have smaller motions, if you say it, I believe it ... you're Zaphod after all :P

Thank you for watching anyways and thank you for your critic.

Ps : sorry for my bad english as usual, I'm french.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #1593
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
It's just a choice to be frank, I don't want to let ring the notes, I could just let my fingers on the pattern and move my right hand but ... I find it easier than "cut" every note and move my fingers for every note ... I like difficulty ^^'
But it's true, it would sound better if I let ring the notes.

That's not quite what I meant, in some phrases the same part is repeated through different chords and scale positions and in some of the repetitions your patterns of muting and letting notes ring were a little inconsistent. It's just something to watch out for and I think it's really more of a personal taste thing than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
For the motions, I practiced a lot slowly to do small motions ... you know, with this kind of piece, it's very difficult due to the big movements, big strings skippings, big arppegios etc ... but I will practice more to have smaller motions, if you say it, I believe it ... you're Zaphod after all :P

It works fine for this piece; it was clean and didn't look strained or anything so it's fine, just anything else at a much faster pace you won't get away with motions that big. It doesn't really apply to this piece, it's just something to keep an eye on.

You're doing really well man, keep it up!

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #1594
Syndromed
French guy

I'm glad to hear that, thank you Zaphod.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #1595
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Hi,

I just have a general question no video
As I have pretty much been playing only rhythm guitar I'm trying to get more into lead playing so I can play melodies etc

Now I've made some exercises with 7 note chords but I think it's tricky to use the thickest string see..

Code:
-----------------17h21h17---------------| --------------19----------19------------| -----------18----------------18---------| --------19----------------------19------| -----21----------------------------21---| --21------------------------------------|

These are triplets but should I rather play it

Code:
-----------------17h21h17---------------| --------------19----------19------------| -----------18----------------18---------| --------19----------------------19------| --16-21----------------------------21---| ----------------------------------------|

It's hard to finger the first one well. To bar top two strings and roll

I have chords like this some major others minor and I move up and down the fretboard and I wonder for these long chords if it's better to play some notes on the same string or if that's "cheating"

Cheers
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1596
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
Hi,

I just have a general question no video
As I have pretty much been playing only rhythm guitar I'm trying to get more into lead playing so I can play melodies etc

Now I've made some exercises with 7 note chords but I think it's tricky to use the thickest string see..

Code:
-----------------17h21h17---------------| --------------19----------19------------| -----------18----------------18---------| --------19----------------------19------| -----21----------------------------21---| --21------------------------------------|

These are triplets but should I rather play it

Code:
-----------------17h21h17---------------| --------------19----------19------------| -----------18----------------18---------| --------19----------------------19------| --16-21----------------------------21---| ----------------------------------------|

It's hard to finger the first one well. To bar top two strings and roll

I have chords like this some major others minor and I move up and down the fretboard and I wonder for these long chords if it's better to play some notes on the same string or if that's "cheating"

Cheers

Two things:

1 - There are only 3 notes in that arpeggio, it's just an F minor arpeggio.

2 - There's no reason not to learn to do both. As ever technique is all about options so why would you specifically limit yourself to only one way of doing the same thing? There is no such thing as cheating as long as it sounds right.

Quote:

Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #1597
fanapathy
B-Tuned

^Thanks you make good points. I shall practice both then
I'm not sure what are common arpeggios to play...this is stuff I've found from transcribing choir or backing synth chords they tend to be structured like this. Interesting that it's actually only 3 notes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #1598
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
^Thanks you make good points. I shall practice both then
I'm not sure what are common arpeggios to play...this is stuff I've found from transcribing choir or backing synth chords they tend to be structured like this. Interesting that it's actually only 3 notes

I would suggest you learn theory then.

Quote:

Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1599
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would suggest you learn theory then.

I shall learn some theory when I stop sucking so much at playing
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #1600
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
I shall learn some theory when I stop sucking so much at playing

No. Learn theory now, you can easily do it alongside learning to play physically.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: