Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
shadowbane91

Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special reliability issues?

Hey guys, I've been thinking of putting some good money into a good amp and I was thinking of the Lonestar Special 1x12 by Mesa Boogie. Looks and sounds like an awesome little amp, and has great tone. The only thing is that I've heard horror stories from Harmony Central reviews that the tubes won't be able to take runing on its 10 watt and 15 watt channels for a prolonged period of time. Also , I'm not sure if I'm saying this right since I don't have much experience with electronics, but I've heard of the tubes blowing and burning other components like capacitors in the amp. I love the sound of this amp, but I'm a bit weary of its reliability issues. Its a pretty expansive amp, especially here in Australia. I'm tossing up between this and a discontinued 1x12 AC30 amp. The Lonestar Special has overdrives and tone that are to die for, but the AC30 is also a great amp with amazing cleans.To anyone who owns, has own or has played this great amp, is Mesa really consistent in their amps, because I've read more than one bad review of this amp where the same thing happened twice.Thanks, all help is much appreciated.
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
shadowbane91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Swap-Meet
Up da p0nx

a local shop I went to best described Messa like this

"Fenders on steroids"

Meaning, it has the beautiful cleans that only fender can give you, with the stupidly high ammounts of gain that some Peaveys & Marshals have.
Swap-Meet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
pak1351
Disillusioned UGer

I keep looking the lss myself. From what I read on the boogie boards, the problem is the rectifier tube can't handle the voltage. People have said they bought a decent nos tube, and it seems to be fine now. Also, there was a memo sent out by mesa, saying that you can't run a Russian (EH or Sovtek) in a position as a cathode follower, although sometimes they come from the factory with these tubes installed.

Other than that, both are real nice amps. Try out a mesa heartbreaker as well, they're similar to a lonestar, but have been discontinued, so you'd have to get a used one.

Here's a link to that memo
http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?p=47466
Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
icronic

Perhaps I was unlucky, but I went through 3 LSSs before I gave up and switched to a Roadster. I went through 2 of those before I gave up on Mesa altogether.

The first LSS kept blowing tubes, the second two had severe rattle, which was loud enough to be picked up through the mics and get amplified louder than the actual notes I was playing. The first Roadster flat out died, and nobody could figure out why, and I can't remember what happened to the second one.

To Mesas credit, their support was among the best I've ever dealt with. I also know someone with a LSS who's had no problems with it. He said the tubes don't last as long on lower power settings, but they last long enough and they're easy to replace.

Take that as you will, but I think the people who encounter problems always encounter the worst case scenario, while everyone else has an amp built like a tank that will last forever.

Honestly, I think if the Mesa tone is the one you want, then that's the amp you should get. Just buy it from a place that offers a full refund 30 day return policy, and do not under any circumstances buy a floor model.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
chea_man
no more record deal

if the problem is the rectifier tune like said by someone above, then their is a inexpensive solution: flip the swith to use the SS rectifier. i prefer ss rectifiers anyway.

also, boogies are normally extremly reliable. and when something does go wrong, mesa has a great reputation of costumer service.

i love that amp BTW, and am considering getting it in the next few months.
Chea_man is the best.
chea_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
shadowbane91

Thanks everyone, your opinions and comments really help. My next amp is going to be something that I want to use as the workhorse of my tone, the MB is great but I guess if I'm too hesitant concerning its reliability, then the AC30 would be a better choice.
POD X3 Live..xD
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
pak1351
Disillusioned UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chea_man
if the problem is the rectifier tune like said by someone above, then their is a inexpensive solution: flip the swith to use the SS rectifier. i prefer ss rectifiers anyway.

also, boogies are normally extremly reliable. and when something does go wrong, mesa has a great reputation of costumer service.

i love that amp BTW, and am considering getting it in the next few months.

5W and 15W only runs on the tube rectifier though.

People say they burn through tubes fast because they use these lower wattage settings and drive the tubes harder than they would in say, a 50W or (solely) 30W amp. Assuming you get a matched quad of el-84s, I think you should be able to make them last simply by switching them around in the different positions every week or so, similar to rotating a car's tires, to ensure equal wear.

I hear Boogie will send you a replacement rectifier tube if it blows though, but it's the same model as the one that blew, so I'd expect it to do so again. If you're buying an amp that costs 2 grand, what's another 100 dollars for a nos rectifier tube?

Anyway, good luck ts, you're in the best kind of dilemma
Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
shadowbane91

Hey guys, would a Mesa Boogie F 30 be more reliable? It looks more affordable, not a class A amp like the LSS but its a good amp regardless.
POD X3 Live..xD
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Ping Kevin_Saale - he had one. I believe he used to use the word 'work horse' once to describe it.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
shadowbane91

Alright, thanks a lot
POD X3 Live..xD

Rate This Thread: