Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
NWD2100

plays without criticisim what does it mean?

Say you put up a song and it gets 40 listens with no likes or comments. People are not really responding to what you are doing are they? So does it mean whatever you are doing isn't going to cut it? When you upload a song and nobody is responding this can't be a good sign in my opinion.
NWD2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
HotspurJr

"put it up" where?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWD2100
Say you put up a song and it gets 40 listens with no likes or comments. People are not really responding to what you are doing are they? So does it mean whatever you are doing isn't going to cut it? When you upload a song and nobody is responding this can't be a good sign in my opinion.

I rarely respond to anything unless it's way near the top of something I've heard or has really moved me. So that might be the case, for you. They may not have felt it was awesome, but it may be been okay.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Darth Crow

Yep, people usually only comment if the song is very good or very bad don't worry, my band has a song on YouTube with a few thousand views and only one comment
Vintage VRS100

Amps
Randall RH150G3 (and 412 cab)
Kustom RC30
Line 6 POD HD500

Last edited by Darth Crow : 09-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Darth Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Elintasokas
Registered Wild Boar

On SoundCloud NO ONE posts a negative comment. Imo, that's very dumb. All you see is "OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME" or "nice track bro!"

I think people should post both negative and positive comments. I'm not a fan of the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" attitude. If something sucks, I generally let them know my honest opinion and how the song could be improved. But saying "this sucks" is just as bad as typing "nice track bro!".

Last edited by Elintasokas : 09-20-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Elintasokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
willT08
UG Addict

it probably just means nobody's really listening because you're not really a thing on soundcloud. You never get a lot of interaction on Soundcloud unless everything you put up is cracking say 200 plays consistently
Old 09-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

It could one of several things, but Will is definitely right.

Fact is, your music needs to engage people. Maybe it did engage 40 people, but not to the degree that all of them went to all their friends and said, "Listen to this. It's great!". Maybe a few of them did that, but it wasn't enough, really.
You might need to do a lot more social networking, if you feel that it's not your music.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

People won't automatically listen to your tracks. Most people who listen to your song don't comment at all. For example my crappy Youtube video of Dream Theater performing "Erotomania" (it's pretty bad quality, filmed with my old Nokia phone) has over 2000 views but only 11 likes/dislikes (mostly dislikes ) and just a couple of comments.

If you look at some popular tracks on SoundCloud, they have 1 million listens but 50000 likes and only 1000 comments. It's like 1 comment per 1000 listens, maybe a bit more, and 1 like per 20 listens (and that's when your track is really popular).

If you want people to comment and like your tracks, you need to be more active in the social media. You need to promote your tracks. Don't ask me how to do it because I have never done it.

I would suggest visiting the recordings - original recordings forum here in UG. I have posted some of my songs there and have got comments from other people. I would suggest commenting other people's songs - that way they'll more likely listen to your songs and comment them (if you add "C4C" - comment for comment - to your title, people know you are ready to comment their songs if they comment yours).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 09-20-2014 at 04:50 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Jes Johnson

The truth is, most people aren't that active about leaving feedback. It may not be that they don't like it, they're probably just not in the habit of responding. And 40 listens isn't that much in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more focused on getting more people to hear it in the first place.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

when people at least hit the like if they actually like, and if they follow or subscribe it's better than a comment. But yeah if it's nothing different or special...what are they supposed to say?
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes Johnson
The truth is, most people aren't that active about leaving feedback. It may not be that they don't like it, they're probably just not in the habit of responding. And 40 listens isn't that much in the first place, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more focused on getting more people to hear it in the first place.

Yeah. I rarely comment anything, even if I think the track is awesome, unless they are asking for critique (or there's a stupid discussion going on in the comments which I may participate ). If I think it's an awesome track, I may hit the like button but don't always bother.

40 listens is almost nothing so I wouldn't really even expect somebody to like or comment your track. As I said, you need to be more active in the social media. Maybe that will give you more listens and hopefully comments and likes. But I wouldn't judge the track based on only 40 listens and no comments/likes - that really means nothing. Also, you must remember that not everybody has a SoundCloud profile. Some of your listens may be from guests and they couldn't comment/like your track even if they wanted to.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: