Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #21
GoldenGuitar

I saw your video on youtube one vision good execution of tone and dynamics, overall very beautiful. And like Beethoven you can start with one Idea and build off it well.

Also thanks for the advice, I'll try what you said in my piece I'm working on currently. I'm mostly influenced by Fernando Sor. But Carulli and Giuliani influence me too.(They are also from different times but only about 100 years)
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #22
SG Man Forever
all dongs go to heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
Dissonance just means instability, it doesn't mean "bad." Dissonance is needed to keep your song moving, if your song is too consonant it will sound stale, sterile and stagnant. If your song is too dissonance, your song will sound instable.

I know that, I'm trying to understand what you are talking about, dissonance is something I use all the time, in particular the piece I plan on posting in the next day or so. But in this particular piece, there is hardly any dissonance to be found, unless you consider a perfect fourth to be dissonant. Almost all the harmonies are thirds and fifths, and all the chords used are fifth power chords.
Quote:
The sevenths thing is inplace because it's too dissonant for a strongly stressed beat (the first note of every bar). This beat should also be very consonant.

It's not my rule, just something I picked up.

What are you smoking? In the first measure, every bar of the melody begins with either the notes D, A#, or G, the tonic, sub mediant, or sub dominant, respectively. In the second riff section, the leading chord is still the tonic. In the third section, the chord progression is I, III, II, VII, the first time the VII makes itself a stressed beat. It avoids dissonance because it is the relative major of the chord preceding it. I really don't know what you are referring to.

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
SG Man Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #23
one vision
Trolling /sg/

^Thanks a lot!

I saw a classical guitar in your profile pic, what kind is it?

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #24
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by one vision
I saw a classical guitar in your profile pic, what kind is it?

It's a Admira Malaga.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 AM   #25
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
It's a Admira Malaga.

Nice.

I've never heard of that company, but I checked out their site, their stuff looks pretty good.

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 AM   #26
Your_Dad
UG Member

http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesfantom
Its on there, "C Harmonic Minor Scale Pattern"

I originally composed this for my orchestra class. The strings play a C minor Scale, while the winds play melodies and provide harmonic context (Although these harmonies often ended up very bland, mainly diminished). Ill leave the other stuff for you to analyze. I got a lot of work to do atm

EDIT: Goddam its in a sibelius score and I cant export the sheet music. fork.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #27
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Man Forever
What are you smoking? In the first measure, every bar of the melody begins with either the notes D, A#, or G, the tonic, sub mediant, or sub dominant, respectively. In the second riff section, the leading chord is still the tonic. In the third section, the chord progression is I, III, II, VII, the first time the VII makes itself a stressed beat. It avoids dissonance because it is the relative major of the chord preceding it. I really don't know what you are referring to.
Between the bass and the lead.

The bass is plays an E on the first beat and the lead plays a D in harmony. This creates a minor seventh Harmonic interval.

EDIT: **** I meant harmonic, not melodic

Last edited by demonofthenight : 01-08-2009 at 07:30 AM.
demonofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #28
SG Man Forever
all dongs go to heaven

The song is in D minor. E is the SECOND interval of that scale, and with such a strong emphasis on the tonic, it suggests nothing other than a SECOND interval, not a SEVENTH. The reason the bass is playing E is because it is meant to be a low end sound.

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #29
one vision
Trolling /sg/

I'm likin' Stargazer.

Riffs were pretty badass. But I like the solos in cruel sea a lot more, no offence though. The more chaotic, the better for me, lol.

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #30
SG Man Forever
all dongs go to heaven

Quote:
I'm likin' Stargazer.

Riffs were pretty badass. But I like the solos in cruel sea a lot more, no offence though. The more chaotic, the better for me, lol.

Thanks, I agree cruel sea is a much better song, I wrote Stargazer in a little less than three hours, not to say it's a throwaway song, but it's pretty simple.

Anyway, I've got the drums for about 70% of Cruel Sea written, but I'm not going to be able to work on it tomorrow, I have to help my sister move into her new house. Some parts are really hard to write drums that help augment the heaviness of the piece.

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #31
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_Dad
...quote+overly long self gratifying sig

Here's one you can add to your sig...

I think Your Dad is using his large sig to compensate for something
Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #32
DarTHie
UG Mulder

Quote:
Romance No.1 in D minor.

GP File. Analyze the hell out of it

I don't really know where to start. I more or less stayed in D minor most of the time.

The middle section, F Major, had a modulation to Bb Major in it for a while, then back again through a cheap chromatic thing into a C7 .

Yeaah.

Ignore the writing at the bars showing which part is where, Major/Minor whatever.

I forgot to update it as I was going along. Lol.

I don't know almost anything about classical guitar and all that eras, so bear with me.

I loved the first part (bar 11, 12 - amazing melody). That F Major fast part became a little boring to me. After that part everything flows smoothly.

bar 55 - What A Wonderful World - please listen to that part

happy new yeeae guyas.

Last edited by DarTHie : 01-08-2009 at 07:56 AM.
DarTHie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #33
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Freepower, nice piece, nothing wrong with it, and cool riff. Nice played. I liked it, and imo ur on the right track in ur "musical journey" with originality-meets-taste. Then again, ur a (Respected) guitar/music teacher, so it would be slightly expected that you "know ur ****".

One Vision; I already checked ur piece out a while ago, very nice executed and nice composition. I didn't need to open up the tab to appreciate it. Also 1 of the reasons why I approached you for classical guitar in Pm while back

*small note*
I don't like going to technical in reviewing, unless there's a wicked technical sweep pick arpeggios tap octave whammy bar w/e going on Or something I genuinly don't like. If I say less, there's a 99% chance that I like it (more).

To Goldenguitar
I can't read sheet music so srry I can't listen/review it. Perhaps get a recording or midi of it on?

To "your dad"
Ur player doesn't seem to work for me, very weird.

SG Man Forever;
I found the bassline in relation to the overlapping parts was stressing it to much with the occasional E note, which would aurally be "nicer" if it was just D (or if you want to keep the "downward" contour, a G or an A note ), but that's just my opinion. I do know if you would play that live with a few stacks, people will die from that dissonance Because if the lowest sound is dissonant it will have effect on the entire piece of music.

As for the solo; I listen to everything in a guitarsolo (dynamics, sound, timing, timbre etc.) so I won't comment on this, cause it's midi.

I'm not crude soz if that seems, I just be honest in my opinion

Did I miss someone? I did a quick read on the thread.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 01-08-2009 at 09:13 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #34
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Freepower I followed the link. It was a cool riff. Didn't care much for the synthesizers in that one and overall I think the sound quality didn't do your skills much justice. It sounded kind of tinny and lacking in punch you need some big booming Daft Punk bass drum to liven it up.

I'll definately take that into account should I be re-recording or similar, I would blame my amp for the punchless sound, believe it or not, I'm going through a 30W Kustom.

Yeah, the amp fund is the important one atm.

Quote:
The Destroy the World Gentlemens Club in your profile on the other hand - was really awesome!! And the Fall out Tactics was cool. Where'd you get that voice loop?

The voice loop is from a game called "Fallout Tactics" - I was writing a mod for it at the time and so I had already found and listened to most of the sound files, some of the music is really cool. Anyway, from there I just kinda took the sample and stuck it over some realllllly weird midi that I ripped from a Berzerker track and just messed about with until it was unrecognisable. Mostly I was just playing around with "Digital DJ Decks" in Fruity Loops.

OV, your thread idea is really taking off!

Myungtrucci, listening to your piece now, I think the rhythms are a little over poweringly blunt - a few sections arpeggiated would have made a big difference. I like the synth riffs very much though. The section around 1:45 I really enjoyed as well, was there a particular influence there? And the bass coming in sounds great... Sega style synth solo

By the way, I do think you've kind of bitten off more than you can chew atm, it's long and certainly not dull, but I don't get the impression of one strongly carried out vision... on the other hand, it's a fantastic start towards that kind of extended composition that DT do, I think this piece shows a fantastic amount of potential, and in short, I'm impressed.

Section at 4:20 I dug as well, actually.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #35
michal23
=D

GoldenGuitar, I'm only going by what I can hear (haven't read the sheet music), but I really enjoy it. It's a great piece, with a very lovely peaceful feeling; somehow, it reminds me more of a folkish song than a Classical piece, but it's still awesome!

One Vision, I really like the start of your piece, very nice indeed! I particularly liked the part starting at 1:00 of the video. I must admit, though, I didn't really enjoy the fast part starting at around 1:26.

Here's a rough idea for a minimalist piece. It's just a few rough ideas I have, it's far from finished, so it doesn't really flow much. Anyway, if anyone can tell me what they think of what I have so far, I'd appreciate it. I might post some of my acoustic guitar stuff later on as well
Attached Files
File Type: zip minimalism2.zip (2.9 KB, 244 views)
michal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
Ead

^^ i really like the sound of that. it has a really epic feel.. hopelesness or something.. its great id love to hear it progress, if you could have a dramatic chord progression. would make me think of like castlevania or something (which is a good thing lol)

i have two compositions on my youtube account, link in my sig.. ill upload the GP files as well. ive had them for a while but i thought this would be a cool place to share. i might start spending more time in MT again if this thread really gets going.

first one, the classicaly thing. i didnt even plan on making this when i started, i just made it all up as i went along. i wanted to see what i could do trading melodies with the strings and harp, in like a happy playful mood. i just made one on one instrument and had the other respond to it. the chord progression i like.. the intro could be called C Lydian, then to D, Bm, then E, which is a movement i like the sound of there. then i just started going wherever i felt the melody, so then to a little motif of Am and F. then C+, etc etc.

the jazzy one is the result of me trying to make just a kind of jazzy rythym in guitar pro, and i thought it sounded great on piano. all the melodies i jammed up on my guitar along with it and put them in gp. the piano solo may sound strange to some ears because i've never really played piano or know any conventions of it or anything.. but i just made it according to what i was hearing so its all good :P hm.. i guess i lost the guitar pro file for that
Attached Files
File Type: zip yeah.zip (1.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #37
michal23
=D

^ Ead I loved that! The orchestral harp and the strings create a wonderful atmosphere! Personally, however, I didn't like the pizzicato strings - unless it was the awful MIDI sound that caused me to dislike it, I'd personally replace it with another instrument. I must admit, I' not too sure what I'd replace it with; maybe two violins? Other than that, it was great

As I said I would earlier, I've uploaded two of my acoustic pieces. They're only about a minute long each (first one repeats), and is what I came up with messing around with different tunings. I was initially gonna upload my recordings, but the file size is too large even when compressed. You'll have to make do with MIDI...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Acoustic.zip (2.2 KB, 188 views)
michal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #38
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Bookmarked. I was in that group and felt bad about never getting round to looking at many other people's stuff because I don't go on groups that much. Hopefully I'll get a good look at most stuff in here.

...and of course post my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #39
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarTHie
I don't know almost anything about classical guitar and all that eras, so bear with me.

I loved the first part (bar 11, 12 - amazing melody). That F Major fast part became a little boring to me. After that part everything flows smoothly.

bar 55 - What A Wonderful World - please listen to that part

Thanks! Yeah, that bar 11-12 is also my favorite phrase of the whole song.

The F major part was more technical, arpeggios and whatnot. I tried to make as smooth a transition as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdarrenxx
One Vision; I already checked ur piece out a while ago, very nice executed and nice composition. I didn't need to open up the tab to appreciate it. Also 1 of the reasons why I approached you for classical guitar in Pm while back

Thanks, I'm honored. And I hope I helped you too. How's the classical going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
OV, your thread idea is really taking off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal23

One Vision, I really like the start of your piece, very nice indeed! I particularly liked the part starting at 1:00 of the video. I must admit, though, I didn't really enjoy the fast part starting at around 1:26.

Thanks, Yeah, I know it can get a bit boring. I wanted to balance out the sad, slow, brooding mood with something a lot more upbeat (As you should, contrast ftw).

I blame it on the bad recording quality

Ead: Very nice. It's very avant garde haha. Reminded me of a mix of oriental and 20th century art music.

I'll listen to the rest later, brb.

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar

Last edited by one vision : 01-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #40
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks, I'm honored. And I hope I helped you too. How's the classical going?

Np, it's good, though there's so much musical projects i'm working on atm, it's killing me

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: