Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #441
TheBurningFish
has a ****ing GODIN

Location: Lying on my back, thinking "Where in shitting crikey is my nose?"
I composed a piece for a string quartet in school and thought I'd share it.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play911900

It's my first time composing anything like that, so it's quite experimental.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 quartet.gp5 (8.5 KB, 24 views)

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies.
Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
TheBurningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #442
jbsoccerbrit

I am pretty new-ish to the guitar but have learned most of the basic first position chords and bought a capo and at the moment I'm kind of play in my comfort zone (which I really need to push myself harder out of).

I apologize if this is the wrong section of the forum but would anyone on here mind critiquing a small piece I put together? I really want to know what some people think who wont just say stuff to please me (i.e friends, family etc etc...I'm after a neutral point of view)

Thanks in advance.

Piece can be found here:
jbsoccerbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #443
bass wizard

Just started my composition for AS level music. Chosen the toys brief to compose from, really finding it a great joy to compose this toy music as it's the first time I have really composed for a full orchestra. It's great fun at the moment, I will pop up the Sibelius files once it has been handed in and marked purely because one guy at my college did this last year and then someone went and copied his entire piece and he was almost excluded from the exam board due to copying (I know you guys wont, but I can't trust the Guest users on here really can I?). Just wondering what would you guys say are 'toy' music instruments? I have so far got;

Clarinet in A
Flute
Trumpet in Bb
Classical Guitar
Piano
Celest
Cymbals
Timpani
Snare Drum
Triangle
Violin I
Violin II
Viola
Violincello

I'm think of adding a harp and maybe a xylophone? What do you think?

Grade 8 Guitar- Passed with merit
Grade 5 bass- Pass
Grade 5 theory- Pass (Working on Grade 6)
Grade 4 keyboard- Passed with merit (Doing Grade 5)

Last edited by bass wizard : 11-20-2010 at 05:57 PM.
bass wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #444
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

^ what exactly is your brief? yours sounds better than the one i had. It was a life cycle of birth, life and death, which would have been good to do but you cant do much with the 3 minutes your allowed.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #445
bass wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
^ what exactly is your brief? yours sounds better than the one i had. It was a life cycle of birth, life and death, which would have been good to do but you cant do much with the 3 minutes your allowed.

Mine was to compose a piece of 3 minute music that is composed for a film based around toys. So basically it's split into 3 movements, the toys asleep, toys waking up, toys battling.

Grade 5 bass- Pass
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #446
otis.oliver
Banned

Plastic (May scratch more easily than the previous metal shell, but also has better reception)
Slightly thicker ( Slightly thicker than previous iphone because it has 3G and GPS. Nothing you can see with the naked eye though)
More expensive data plan (Previous plan was $20, now its $30)
otis.oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #447
bass wizard

Finally order Sibelius 6 at an educationally discounted price =D It was a very long process that involved me sending them a letter off my college and my college ID card via scan then e-mail. So should be here in a couple of weeks and finally I wont have to use a cracked version of Sib 5 on a old laptop Happy days!

Grade 5 bass- Pass
Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #448
Dan Acheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincabopataurio
First real song I have ever composed. What do you guys think?

I really like this song you composed its nice and relaxing. Thanks for sharing this piece and keep composing good songs like this!
Dan Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #449
beskudz

I am an active guitar player, and I practice as much as I can. However, what do you enthusiasts have to say about varying the use of practice time? In other words, what kind of a balance do you recommend for time spent working on different aspects of playing (scales, chordal practice, improvising, reading, learning a piece, jamming for fun, etc)? I'd love to hear what works for different people.
beskudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #450
Dan Acheron

Hey beskudz, the way one practices is not necessarily the best way to practice for another. The way I practice is I pick around 4 to 6 different categories to work on each practice session and keep that practice routine for about a week. Then I change it up a little. This way my practice routine is not the exact same day in and day out. What you put in your practice schedule all depends on what you want to accomplish as a player. If you need help with making a schedule just let me know and I be more than willing to help.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #451
beskudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Acheron
Hey beskudz, the way one practices is not necessarily the best way to practice for another. The way I practice is I pick around 4 to 6 different categories to work on each practice session and keep that practice routine for about a week. Then I change it up a little. This way my practice routine is not the exact same day in and day out. What you put in your practice schedule all depends on what you want to accomplish as a player. If you need help with making a schedule just let me know and I be more than willing to help.

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. Basically, I tend to work out of a book or do exercises a lot of the times that I practice. I sometimes get frustrated with myself, feeling like I never actually play music. This drove me to start learning chord solos for guitar, which has been great, but it's not rock. I haven't learned a good rock tune in awhile. What are some good tunes to learn that aren't overwhelmingly difficult, yet have some challenging parts to them?
beskudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #452
Dan Acheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beskudz
Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. Basically, I tend to work out of a book or do exercises a lot of the times that I practice. I sometimes get frustrated with myself, feeling like I never actually play music. This drove me to start learning chord solos for guitar, which has been great, but it's not rock. I haven't learned a good rock tune in awhile. What are some good tunes to learn that aren't overwhelmingly difficult, yet have some challenging parts to them?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...+songs+to+learn
This is a thread with a lot of different rock songs that are not too difficult. I do not know what kind of rock you like but Im sure there are some songs on here you enjoy. I hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #453
stokcton

i just started trying to make original music and the only chord progression ive made is this: Cm, Gm, Bbm, F#m. I think it sounds awesome, kind of dream theater-y. If anyone could just play it real quick and give some positive feedback, that would be awesome. Positive is the special word there.
stokcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #454
Keth
Contrapunctalist

A chord progression alone won't tell us much. We don't know the rhythm, tempo, inversions, etc, etc.

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #455
Tire Me.
Leads a crabcore band

My adaptation of Victor Wooten's Classical Thump. 2:55 to 4:40 is an original composition. Would appreciate any constructive criticism. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #456
Darkmessiahnz

Hey man that was pretty cool, but the chord progression sounded a bit strange at one part. I tend to find music like that gets boring quickly unless you make it sound flowing and dynamic not just ideas piled after each other.
Darkmessiahnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #457
Darkmessiahnz

Here's my composition can you feedback. Especially on the bridge
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MCY4UOA5
Darkmessiahnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #458
Keth
Contrapunctalist

Well, got my fretless bass + recording equipment, so I decided to record something. It's obviously a work in progress, and I'm completely new to recording/mixing/EQ'ing, so yeah..

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play941148

Let me know what you guys think!

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #459
Esa91x

Hi!

I would like to point some attention to my contributed tabs, as they're tabs of my own songs. I would like some C&C to them, especially Vikenlåt, as it is the newest one!

thx

- Esa
Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #460
Maestro_89

Hi! I just recently composed this sad blues. It's a slow almost psychedelic tune. What u guys think? Is it ok, or a bit boring?
Maestro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: