Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #481
FallOhHeaven
Y u eat so much chick'n?

Hey guys how about my piece of Symph Death Metal (or something like this)?
No ideas for the rest of the song yet

Feel free to steal some riffs if you want, it don't really fit into my band's style
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 awesomeness.gp5 (21.1 KB, 35 views)
FallOhHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #482
Count Orlok

This is the song I'm currently working on. Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 The Wizard vs. The Necromancer.gp5 (50.4 KB, 26 views)

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Count Orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #483
lilke

Take a look and tell me what you think
Hadn't been into theory for too long when I made this
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 I dont know.gp4 (7.0 KB, 26 views)
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #484
winnieqin16
Banned

HI
I want to know do you like MJ?
I like the rock and roll music do you?
what else do you like ?

trumpet wedding dresses;maternity wedding dresses;princess wedding dresses;little black dresses
winnieqin16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #485
Drekkenbrein

Just wrote a little classical piece today, it's sortoff in a minuet form but not really.

It's very simple, A-A-B-B-A-A'/C form, no modulations or advanced techniques whatsoever but some nice little ideas imo.

I didn't spend a lot of time on this, so there are still some awkward spots here and there, for example the ritardando in the B section that is only supposed to be there in the second repeat.
And in general the repeats should have some more variation, but I was to lazy to copy everything.

I'm still pretty proud of it, although it's far from perfect.
Form has always been one of my weak points but this one is not too bad.

I'd love to hear some opinions on it, it's only 1:40 long.

Minuet In C Sharp Major

I'll post the sheet music later if anyone cares.
505088K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #486
Keth
Contrapunctalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505088K
Just wrote a little classical piece today, it's sortoff in a minuet form but not really.

It's very simple, A-A-B-B-A-A'/C form, no modulations or advanced techniques whatsoever but some nice little ideas imo.

I didn't spend a lot of time on this, so there are still some awkward spots here and there, for example the ritardando in the B section that is only supposed to be there in the second repeat.
And in general the repeats should have some more variation, but I was to lazy to copy everything.

I'm still pretty proud of it, although it's far from perfect.
Form has always been one of my weak points but this one is not too bad.

I'd love to hear some opinions on it, it's only 1:40 long.

Minuet In C Sharp Major

I'll post the sheet music later if anyone cares.

Sounds great, but the tone man... I personally would've done the coda different, perhaps a more 'dramatic' ritardando?

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #487
Drekkenbrein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth
Sounds great, but the tone man... I personally would've done the coda different, perhaps a more 'dramatic' ritardando?

Thanks

What's wrong with the tone? It's just the standard piano from Finale Printmusic.
It probably sound a little too bright because of the stupit key signature.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #488
Keth
Contrapunctalist

Yeah, it's too bright IMO, but the actual music is great, I'd like to see the score!
Any reason you didn't notate it in Db major?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #489
Drekkenbrein

It's more of a joke than anything really.
I coudn't decide between D,E and C major and after a while I got sick of my lack of commitment and just went with C# major.
I also thought it was kinda funny to write a simple minuet in the most awkward key possible.

I'd definitely suggest playing it in C natural major though
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Minuet.pdf (23.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #490
Matt.Guitar

I'm no expert but there are a lot of fourths in the bass and IMO it makes everything sound rather 'clunky' and not delicate enough for the pretty melody above it.
Maybe this was intentional...?

Good job though - with some tweaking it'll be nice
Matt.Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #491
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

I think transposing the left hand up an octave would make it sound clearer and would actually be playable (There's some stretches in there which aren't psychically possible).

Watch your voicings too, an ideal voicing in this style for the Vb chord in bar 2 would have G and D in the right hand, doubling the leading note as you have done here isn't stylistically appropriate.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #492
Drekkenbrein

I'm pretty glad I'm suddenly getting lots of feedback after one week of nothing.

I might make a corrected version tonight considering all the things you guys mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
I think transposing the left hand up an octave would make it sound clearer and would actually be playable (There's some stretches in there which aren't psychically possible).

Watch your voicings too, an ideal voicing in this style for the Vb chord in bar 2 would have G and D in the right hand, doubling the leading note as you have done here isn't stylistically appropriate.

haha yeah I kinda noticed these stretches way to late..
The ones in m4 are worst ones... maybe Franz Liszt could have played that somehow.
That's too bad because that was my favorite thing in the piece.

And why is that inappropriate? Do you mean the left hand? Because I don't see how G and D sound any better in the melody.

Edit: My god how did I not notice how much of an unplayable mess it was when I wrote it?

Last edited by 505088K : 02-11-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #493
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Yes sorry I meant the left hand.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #494
world-ablaze

I have to write a string quartet for school, no real guidelines on content other than that. I've never written anything like this before so I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for composing in the classical style? (We've been mostly looking at the classical period if that helps). I mostly just write rock/metal stuff, so I feel a little overwhelmed I want to make sure I write something that's actually good. :p
world-ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #495
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by world-ablaze
I have to write a string quartet for school, no real guidelines on content other than that. I've never written anything like this before so I was wondering if any of you guys have any advice for composing in the classical style? (We've been mostly looking at the classical period if that helps). I mostly just write rock/metal stuff, so I feel a little overwhelmed I want to make sure I write something that's actually good. :p

To be honest, there's no way to explain Classical composition in a single post, or give you enough time to practice the style since I'm assuming this is due within a couple weeks or something. The intricacy and complexity of the style sort of prevents that.

The best advice I could give you for a quick assignment would be to listen to a lot of Classical music with score in hand to look for conventions in the composition. You can also take a few of the most important elements of Classical music and work them into your own score.

I'll ask you before I just tell you straight out since I think you'll benefit more: what have you learned about the styling of Classical music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #496
Drekkenbrein

Quote:

Really no further guidelines? As in lenght or form?

You probably have to write in the classical Haydn form I guess?
(I. Sonata Form Allegro, II. Slow Movement, III. Dance, IV. Fast Rondo)
Or do you just have to write a short single movement piece for string quartet?

You should definitely stick to a traditional sonata form approach. Take your time when picking your main themes, try to make them interessting but still keep them simple so you have room for variation in the development section.
Take a close look on your themes before starting to write the development.
Play around with them for a bit: transpose them to different keys, try how the melodies sound in inversion or even in retrograde, change the rhythm, create sequences with the main phrases and whatever else comes to mind. After you have an idea what works with your theme, you should start thinking about what exactly you want to do.

I like to write my piece down in text form as if I was analyzing it first, but you don't need to do that. Just make yourself a litte 'plan' so your piece has a clear and coherent structure.

Can you ask more specific questions?
I don't want to write you a complete guide on string quartetts right now.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #497
world-ablaze

Thanks for the tips guys, I actually have a few ideas of what I'm going to do now. Also, this is just high school music class, I'm not like a composition major in university or anything, so we haven't done a great deal of advanced stuff (I'm probably one of the most theoretically knowledgeable people in my class and I'm still pretty nooby, haha). Its just a short single movement using Sibelius, yeah, so I don't think we're expected to produce a masterpiece or whatever. But this area of music really interests me so I wanted to know what experienced guys like you would recommend.

Um...heres a more specific question you could probably answer in a forum post Where did you guys learn to write this kind of music? You both sound like you know what you know your stuff :P Is there any books or websites you would recommend or is it something you'd have to learn in a university class (I mean, writing classical stuff in depth rather than just covering basic harmony)
world-ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #498
:-D
hi

Quote:
Its just a short single movement using Sibelius, yeah, so I don't think we're expected to produce a masterpiece or whatever. But this area of music really interests me so I wanted to know what experienced guys like you would recommend.

Well, 505088K gave you a good outline on what to do in terms of basic tips. Essentially, it's about developing a motif (or motifs, if you want to get more intricate) throughout the movement, making sure everything is structured properly in terms of melodic length and cadences, the use of gradual dynamics as opposed to terraced dynamics, and so forth - the list can really go on and on. For a short, simple assignment, I'd say that if you develop a solid motif, work with it throughout the movement, and pay attention to structure and cadences you'll be set.

Quote:
Um...heres a more specific question you could probably answer in a forum post Where did you guys learn to write this kind of music? You both sound like you know what you know your stuff :P Is there any books or websites you would recommend or is it something you'd have to learn in a university class (I mean, writing classical stuff in depth rather than just covering basic harmony)

Pretty much everything I know about composition and music in general is stuff I've worked independently to teach myself. Knowing theory is definitely helpful, but most of the time it's been about listening to music I enjoy and working on incorporating those ideas into my own music. For stuff that had a score available, I'd just grab the score and study it, often times while listening to the music. In my opinion it really boils down to trying it yourself; it's one thing to understand how certain musical conventions work, but actually putting them into practice is invaluable experience.

That being said, nothing I generally write is in a Classical style, but you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #499
Drekkenbrein

Quote:

Thanks^^

Nah you don't have to go to a special class for that at all.
I gained most of my knowledge through books (check your local library!), the internet,
and years of listening, analyzing and performing classical music.
I'm still pretty terrible though, because after all knowledge != skill.

I can't really recommend you any books because you probably don't speak german.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #500
Keth
Contrapunctalist

My first arrangement and first piece I completed with orchestral instruments:

http://soundcloud.com/emergent-1/concord-1

Rate This Thread: