Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #521
wandering_taco
Minstrel of Woe

Ok, midi and the powertab file uploaded. Any critiques will be appreciated, this is my second metal song I've written. My biggest concern are some of the transitions, that was the biggest problem in my last song, which you can find in my sig if interested. Also I reuse a couple of the rhythm phrases in a lot of the harmonies, but in different contexts. I don't think it gets boring because the other side of the harmonies are quite different, but I'd like some other opinions. I'm going for a melodic-doomy type feel, akin to My Dying Bride and old Katatonia. Vocals will be growled whenever I get this recorded.

Edit: I've gotten zero comments on this, even though 17 people downloaded it, so I'm removing the files.
My other music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Fatdus...low=grid&view=0

Wielder of the:
Ibanez S 370
Seagull Entourage Rustic

http://www.last.fm/user/wandering_taco

Last edited by wandering_taco : 12-22-2012 at 09:11 PM.
wandering_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #522
lilke

Smile

Hey again. Any criticism is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 bedlam.gp4 (3.5 KB, 17 views)
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #523
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs-m...eature=youtu.be

so here is my latest song, critique away! btw, i did blow my voice a couple days ago so you might hear a little pitchiness but nothing too bad.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #524
fearofthemark
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind In 1 Ear

so here is my latest song, critique away! btw, i did blow my voice a couple days ago so you might hear a little pitchiness but nothing too bad.

I like it a lot. If I have a critique, it's that the drums seem a bit heavy for the folksy guitar/vocals. They dominate the track more than they should. I'm not drummer but if you can find some way to make them more subtle, your voice and guitar will have a stronger impact. They fit in with the bridge, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

fearofthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #525
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Quote:

i think it's just right. you drop pitch a little bit so be careful about that. otherwise i kind of appreciate the vocal vibrato you add in there. and try not to close your throat up so much when you sing. i know it's tough to sing at that range but the sound will really open up if you relax your throat a little and let the air do the work. also the drums are a little loud at the end.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #526
Demian1695

Quote:

Nice song, your voice is amazing, maybe the drums are too loud!
nice sunglasses
Demian1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #527
Keth
Contrapunctalist

https://soundcloud.com/emergent-1/p...llo-and-piano-2

My first 'real' finished composition.

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #528
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

^put a score up

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #529
Keth
Contrapunctalist

I don't have a score ready, I could make one, but it would take some time. Or, I could try exporting it via that score maker thingy in Cubase, which would probably be very awkward to read then. Would that be OK?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #530
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Nah forget it.

I just listened. It has some interesting harmony going, and there is a good sense of musical arc. But the statements in the music are unclear. The motifs are never really committed enough to become a distinct idea, so there's a sense of rambling. And sometimes the piano and cello are in the same register area, and makes it hard to tell what is foreground/background and sounds muddy. The bit around 1:55 feels very out of place, not to mention the piano material is just awkward and forced there. I think the cello could have also gotten better use throughout the piece...it's just kind of there slugging around in the background.

And I'm not sure whether you are trying to follow common practice counterpoint, but if you are, there are some pretty obvious errors like parallel 5ths and problematic voice leading.

I also believe that the lack of score is a problem, assuming your intention here is writing contemporary concert music. Without a score to visually organize your ideas, you become lost in what came before and what should come after. This piece was very symptomatic of that. You need to get in the habit of working with a score while in the process of coming up with the music.

Yes, a lot of criticism, but I can hear potential in the future.

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #531
Keth
Contrapunctalist

Thanks for the criticism, Xiaoxi! What exactly do you mean with that the motifs aren't really committed? I sometimes consciously (try to) follow common practice and at other times I neglect it. Would you advise to stick with one of them to avoid a discrepancy in style mid-piece, then?

I'll keep it in mind about the score for something I'm sporadically working on at the moment, cheers!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #532
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Well, I hear the 3 note motivic head at the start of each melodic idea, but when it starts extending into a full melody, the melody is very indistinct...almost muttering to itself, and there's no sense of flow within it that evokes any statements.

As for going in and out of common practice, it's something that can be done (Shostakovich does it often), but the way you do it here is not effective because we don't get a clear distinction between when you're in tonal harmony and when you're out of it. Instead it creates the impression you were just not careful or have a good enough technique.

My New Workstation
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #533
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erc
i think it's just right. you drop pitch a little bit so be careful about that. otherwise i kind of appreciate the vocal vibrato you add in there. and try not to close your throat up so much when you sing. i know it's tough to sing at that range but the sound will really open up if you relax your throat a little and let the air do the work. also the drums are a little loud at the end.

i have been working on my voice a lot and i usually sing pretty open now, however i blew my voice about two days before i did the vocals on this so my voice really wasn't up to par. my recorder has been having issues so i wanted to just get it done before it crapped out. i can hear i am singing with more weight in my voice than i would have liked and it just wasn't as strong as it usually is, so yes there are some pitch issues here and there. i suppose the drums could have been a bit lower too. i'll most likely do it again when i get better recording stuff.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #534
andreicristian

Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for almost 3-4 years now, self taught ( I know I lack musical theory and some basic stuff), and I've finally got the courage to record something and post it online. My friends are saying that it's an okay riff, that I gotta work on it some more and record it properly. Could you please listen to it and give me an honest opinion? Any advice, criticism is welcome. Thanks for your time.

Oh, it's recorded with my phone, because I don't got any recording gear.

andreicristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #535
bass wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreicristian
Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for almost 3-4 years now, self taught ( I know I lack musical theory and some basic stuff), and I've finally got the courage to record something and post it online. My friends are saying that it's an okay riff, that I gotta work on it some more and record it properly. Could you please listen to it and give me an honest opinion? Any advice, criticism is welcome. Thanks for your time.

Oh, it's recorded with my phone, because I don't got any recording gear.

Hey man! That's a pretty good chord progression you got there dude! To prevent it from becoming slightly repetative though, you could always do some more of those hendrix-esque embellishments you do. One little piece of advice though, and I don't whether this is due to the fact it's recorded with a phone, but you might wanna try and clean up your playing slightly, and also the guitar sounds a little bit out of tune to me (but I don't have greatest ears for that tbh). But yeah, keep working on it, it's definitely got potential

Grade 8 Guitar- Passed with merit
Grade 5 bass- Pass
Grade 5 theory- Pass (Working on Grade 6)
Grade 4 keyboard- Passed with merit (Doing Grade 5)
bass wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #536
andreicristian

Hello bass wizard ( cool username btw), thanks for the reply. It needs more work before I can record it properly. The quality is really awful but yeah, i need to stop stroking so hard sometimes. I changed the chords sometime last summer, I think at the beginning of July, at the moment I don't have the A chord, it broke before I recorded that piece. Once I finish with my exams I'll change them and hopefully they will sound better . Thanks for the advice.
andreicristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #537
ccannon1
Band Geek

This song is in a minor key but why is it that it doesn't sound super minor (like it does when I play the chords on a keyboard)?

show
Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #538
musicjaan

nice

Submit Your Song
----For Singers----
musicjaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #539
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

I just finished up writing a short (16 bars) piece for piano and I'm more pleased with it than anything I've come up with so far so I'm putting it up here for critique. I only have a crappy MIDI rendition to offer for listening purposes because I'm a shit piano player, but I had my Mum go over the score just now and she affirms that the whole thing is physically playable. Loins have been pre-girded to be torn apart, spare no mercy, UG.

show
Attached Files
File Type: mid Allegro.mid (3.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Nietsche : 02-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #540
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

I like it. I'm curious as to why you had a bar of 3/4 followed by a bar of 1/4. Doesn't matter, I'm just curious of your reasoning. My main critique is the abrupt ending. It also doesn't have much development.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: