User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #541
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angusman60
I like it. I'm curious as to why you had a bar of 3/4 followed by a bar of 1/4. Doesn't matter, I'm just curious of your reasoning.

It's all one bar with a repeat marking occurring between the third and fourth beats, so the first time that section is repeated you return to the pickup bar on the fourth beat, and the second time you have the one beat rest and then move into the second section.

Last edited by Nietsche : 02-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #542
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

What was your goal with this piece? what were you aiming to achieve?

The writing is pretty stale. The alberti bass has already been done to death. If you were trying to write a classical piece then you really need to learn some easy pieces on the piano to get an idea of how to write idiomatically and to understand the conventions of the classical period.

I'm not saying this applies to you, but don't feel that you need to write classical sonatas in order to be a good composer, the classical period is long gone. If all you write is unoriginal pieces in these styles then you are not a good composer, you are just a imitator. Once you understand the conventions of each period it's fairly easy to write convincing pieces in those styles, what's really important however is being able to write good melodies and be able to manipulate harmony, which will only come by learning and studying more music, so that eventually you can write YOUR music.

^ for tonal music...

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?

Last edited by griffRG7321 : 02-16-2013 at 04:15 PM.
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #543
lilke

Hi again.
Here's 18 bars more of my creation.
Thanks in advance for listening.
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 where did you.gp4 (3.2 KB, 35 views)
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #544
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321

The writing is pretty stale. The alberti bass has already been done to death. If you were trying to write a classical piece then you really need to learn some easy pieces on the piano to get an idea of how to write idiomatically and to understand the conventions of the classical period.

I'm not saying this applies to you, but don't feel that you need to write classical sonatas in order to be a good composer, the classical period is long gone. If all you write is unoriginal pieces in these styles then you are not a good composer, you are just a imitator. Once you understand the conventions of each period it's fairly easy to write convincing pieces in those styles, what's really important however is being able to write good melodies and be able to manipulate harmony, which will only come by learning and studying more music.

I agree with everything in this post.

Also, just a notation thing, I'd lay out the repeats like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iks807hf2...ull%20Score.pdf

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #545
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321

It just started off as an attempt to write anything really and I came up with those first eight or so bars of melody, messed around with the accompaniment a bit and when I heard it over the alberti bass figure the rest seemed to flow pretty naturally.

Quote:

Yeah I know the accompaniment figure is mind-numbingly cliched. I had another idea for an accompaniment figure before that but it didn't really sound lively enough and that was the only way I could think to get it to sound like that. I've had a look over a few scores of Mozart and Beethoven sonatas and learned to play bits and pieces, it's just difficult at the moment because I've only been playing piano for a few months.

I could probably have a decent go at writing something for classical guitar but I secretly hate the vast majority of the repertoire for the instrument >.>

Quote:
I'm not saying this applies to you, but don't feel that you need to write classical sonatas in order to be a good composer, the classical period is long gone. If all you write is unoriginal pieces in these styles then you are not a good composer, you are just a imitator. Once you understand the conventions of each period it's fairly easy to write convincing pieces in those styles, what's really important however is being able to write good melodies and be able to manipulate harmony, which will only come by learning and studying more music.

Thing is I don't feel like I have a strong enough grasp of harmony yet to do much else than the above kind of imitation. I don't really want to be churning out pale imitations of the past for my entire compositional career but I'm not really sure where else I could start off.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #546
andreicristian

Hey guys. It's me again. I've recorded this yet again with my shitty phone, but I'll get some recording gear this weekend hopefully and I can properly record tunes now. I found this drum loops on youtube ( you can check them out, they are really cool "LumBeat" ). What do you guys think?

P.S: It's not finished or anything ( I got some ideas that I didn't record just yet). Needs polishing, but I was too excited to hear some opinions about this little riff I've come up with. Thanks for your time.
andreicristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #547
Rauvounous
Searching for DONUTS!

Anyone give their opinions on this one? It's kinda basic I know but I really want to finish this song.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 Track.gp5 (16.7 KB, 38 views)

Check out https://soundcloud.com/repulsive-impulse
Rauvounous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #548
Diamondrag
Ibanez93

UK

I've written a piece in 6/8. I'm really unsure of where to place the snare drum. I have the kick drum on 1 and hi hits on 1,2,3,4,5,6. If I put the snare on 2 or 5 it sounds out of place. I've also tried 4 and it still sounds weird....

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Schecter Damien Elite FR 7 LH
Ibanez Premium RG870QZML
Zoom G2.1u Used as Delay & Reverb
Bugera 333XL Infinium
Ibanez Tone Blaster 412
Diamondrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #549
Keth
Contrapunctalist

How do you expect us to know without ever hearing the piece? And is it really a piece, or is it a song? If you can upload it, I'll listen to it, but I don't have guitarpro.

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #550
Drekkenbrein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondrag
I've written a piece in 6/8. I'm really unsure of where to place the snare drum. I have the kick drum on 1 and hi hits on 1,2,3,4,5,6. If I put the snare on 2 or 5 it sounds out of place. I've also tried 4 and it still sounds weird....

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

why do you write in a time signature you don't understand anyway?

The accents are on 1 and 4. So usually the snaredrum is going to be on 4.
quite often you also add kicks on 3 and 6 depending on the style.
Listen to the verse of 'My Name is Jonas' by Weezer for an example of this.

Last edited by 505088K : 03-23-2013 at 03:55 PM.
505088K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #551
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

improvised some at the piano. anyone wanna critique?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #552
TheAscendant

Here is the MIDI version of my song Empty. Just looking for some opinions on what sounds good or could be improved on. It does sound pretty average as it is sourced from a GP6 file. Nothing sounds as good as real instruments though so I hope to record this song in th near future. Cheers (:
Attached Files
File Type: mid Empty Composition MIDI.mid (28.5 KB, 21 views)
TheAscendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #553
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

here's a song idea i'm working on on the piano. it's still in the works so this is just the raw idea i have. i came up with parts in my head today at work, now i just need to hopefully figure out if i can play what's in my head lol. also i'm not much of a piano player, i've been teaching my self and probably learning seriously for a couple months. before that i just kinda messed around on it every now and then.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #554
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Hey guys, TS HERE (more or less).

Haven't been around in a while but I'm back a brand new romance following my first one years ago. I'd also really appreciate a thumbs up and comment on the actual video, and would be glad to hit you back with some as well.

BI1E, I like the way it sounds! The transitions are really nice, reminds me of "The way it is".

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #555
amonamarthmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erc
improvised some at the piano. anyone wanna critique?

Sounded like shiet.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
amonamarthmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #556
DBKGUITAR

subscribed
DBKGUITAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #557
funkyfigure8

My midi is 139 kb and the limit is like 97 :|
funkyfigure8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #558
calegerard
Banned

Mi sembra perfetto.
Gusto personale: preferisco "dolci" a "dolciumi", che al mio orecchio suona un po' datato o tecnico.
calegerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #559
trakan

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1218352

what do you think?

also what genre would this be closest to? it almost reminds me of the flaming lips with even more dissonance.

edit: careful about the volume at the end, im trying to get close to unbearable without actually hitting it

Last edited by trakan : 09-12-2013 at 02:31 AM.
trakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #560
DustinEcnelis

Hey guys, brand new to the forums and I am digging everything I see with the different discussions and information provided on this site! I have been playing guitar for three years now and would like any critiques or information that would help me take my guitar playing to a new level. I have never taken a lesson or learned any theory just messed around with different chords and guitar tabs. I am not sure how to embed stuff so I am just gonna throw the link in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9ZBU8Vn-8
DustinEcnelis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: