Search:

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #61
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by one vision
Lol. Yay.

Haha. I'll give it a try.

And I agree, it doesn't necessarily pull towards C, but it's certainly a possibilty.

Thanks

Ye soz I edited a bit my post, I only use the word Pull or something in cadence, rest is taste.

Btw The A7 is a chord substitution.

Still musical nice progression

To make it more logical.

C - Amin7 - Bb6 - G - C

Comes closest in a C Major "correct" progression.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 01-09-2009 at 05:07 AM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #62
one vision
Trolling /sg/

^Hmm. I'll try that.

I'm just composing something, and trying to get as far away as I can from staying diatonic, if you know what I mean.

Once I clean up the guitar pro file (it's like a scrapbook right now ), I'll post it here in a day or two for advice and opinions.

And yeah, I was wondering whether or not that A7 was some kind of chord substitution that I didn't know the terminology for.

Thanks.

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #63
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
^Hmm. I'll try that.

I'm just composing something, and trying to get as far away as I can from staying diatonic, if you know what I mean.

Once I clean up the guitar pro file (it's like a scrapbook right now ), I'll post it here in a day or two for advice and opinions.

And yeah, I was wondering whether or not that A7 was some kind of chord substitution that I didn't know the terminology for.

Thanks.

Yes Diatonici away!!

Use ur original one, cause it offers more tonally due to an A7.

I see 7th chords as "gateways" in music to to other scales/modes/tone centre's, because they are so neutral.

Without 7th chords, half of all music wouldn't exist

That's why alot of blues uses 7ths and jazz also. It is harmonically "more weak", but offers more note choices.

I did a crazy rant on that yesterday in another topic, but i'll leave it at this

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]
Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #64
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Yeah, lol.

Extensions ftw!

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #65
michal23
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Not bad, I would like to hear your recordings. Are they on your profile?

In the one titled 8 I honestly felt like that Eb was just a bum note. That dissonance was just too strong for my taste. Maybe it's the midi that doesn't help and the timbre of a real guitar would breathe life into it - idk.

Okay, the recordings are on my profile now

Please excuse the mistakes and ****ty sound quality, I was in a bit of a hurry and was using rubbish gear.
michal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #66
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michal23
Okay, the recordings are on my profile now

Please excuse the mistakes and ****ty sound quality, I was in a bit of a hurry and was using rubbish gear.

Acoustic piece #2 was nice.

I only think that it would sound better if you use that Db (at 0:14 highest note) once as a passing tone. Playing it twice imo implies it's part of the harmonic movement because it follows the similar patterns as the arpeggios before it.

Since it's high register it serves more of a melodic function, and it implies that that melody on the chord is the resolvance, because it's the last chord before it repeats.

I liked the piece, and was waiting for Robert Plant to come in with singing.

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 01-09-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #67
michal23
=D

^ awesome, thanks very much! And I agree, it sounds better if the second Db I replace with a D.

IMO there's nothing better (for me, anyway) than composing in open or alternate tunings. Any patterns that you once had are gone, and you're forced to completely use your ear (which I, occasionally, find surprisingly hard). Only problem is, I can't improvise a solo for **** in open tunings.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #68
one vision
Trolling /sg/

^I liked both of the acoustic pieces.

It sounds like they would go good together if you somehow merged them into one composition. I don't have access to the GP file (I'm not at home), but they sound like they are in the same key, or at least in closely related keys. Are they?

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #69
michal23
=D

Quote:
^I liked both of the acoustic pieces.

It sounds like they would go good together if you somehow merged them into one composition. I don't have access to the GP file (I'm not at home), but they sound like they are in the same key, or at least in closely related keys. Are they?

One's in D and one's in G if I remember correctly, so yeah they would go well together. However, they're in ever so slightly different tunings, so I'd have to change one or two notes in the second one. But yeah, I did think (and still am, if I can come up with something) about merging them into one composition.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #70
one vision
Trolling /sg/

^Yeah, maybe find a compromised tuning that fits both?

But re-learning stuff is annoying.

Especially when it's your own composition

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #71
michal23
=D

Quote:
^Yeah, maybe find a compromised tuning that fits both?

But re-learning stuff is annoying.

Especially when it's your own composition

Exactly

The main problem is, the one composition uses the Open D on the low string, whereas the other composition uses an Open E while playing higher up the fretboard

EDIT: What I have been considering, is playing the octave of the E on the 7th fret of the A string, but it just doesn't sound as good and I'm a very picky person
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #72
one vision
Trolling /sg/

^Yeah, it's not that you're picky, lol. Harmonically, it might sound good, but the voicing is very important also.

If you take it up an octave, I think there'll be too much of a disturbance.

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #73
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

^^

Double neck acoustic

/discussion

(most intelligent)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[/SIZE][/B]
Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #74
SG Man Forever
all dongs go to heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
Michal23 the harmony in your composition is fantastic, I can't wait hear it when it's completed, usually the hard part is getting a good ending.

Oh and xxxdarrenxxx you can find the recording on my profile.

Not really, I have a piece I'm working on right now, that the ending is, IMO, one of the best parts of it, and I came up with it very early on in it's composition. I find the hardest part is writing the main themes, and expanding on them, so the song isn't just repeating them for four minutes.

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
SG Man Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #75
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Man Forever
Not really, I have a piece I'm working on right now, that the ending is, IMO, one of the best parts of it, and I came up with it very early on in it's composition. I find the hardest part is writing the main themes, and expanding on them, so the song isn't just repeating them for four minutes.

Yeah, this.

I spent about 3 weeks rearranging and revising my countertheme. Which is like 5 bars.

Still though. When you're working all night and even get 1 bar of something you think is great, it's a night well spent.

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #76
pinguinpanic

Is it just me or does my post appear empty to everyone? If I edit it it's full of text.

EDIT, perhaps it works here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Man Forever
Stargazer

The main riff was quite nice, but I did not the F of the bass in the new version, nor did I like the E in the old. Your using the D as a pedal note in the riff and I think you should have kept the bass on this aswell. The riff at the beginning is quite cool, although it gets a bit repetitive. But perhaps you could solve it by doing something that maiden does aswell, repeating the same lick over different chords (or different notes on this example). So like having the bass do something like
|D |F |G |F-E|.
W E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q.
-------------------|--------------------------|------------------------|
--5----------------|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--|--8--8--8--8--8--8------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q.
----------------------------------|------------------------|
--10--10--10--10--10--10--10--10--|--8--8--8--8--7--7------|

This way the notes in the riff stay the same but their distance to the "bass progression" differs giving different sounds and making it more interesting.

The rest sounding interesting though, I really liked the solo, how you let like the theme come back and build arround it.
But I assume you still have to put it like in correct order, because that intro really came out of nowhere (It was nice though but didn't fit the song).

(I'll edit in a sec with some of my stuff for you guys to have a look at but IE is a bit dodgy)

The ninth circle
Craipshait I had a really nice story about the song covering every aspect of it but then stupid IE let down on me I'm on Firefox now.
Now about the song, it is a really evil song, mostly in E phrygian but I wander off to E Locrian once (you see the A# more often but it's an accidental everywere except the 00-0-0-0-5-6-5-6 riff) and to E minor. There is no solo tabbed but the progression for the solo is a really simple chromatic descending line, to allow random chromatic notes and general guitar wank (It adds to the feeling of the song in my opinion, a solo with "feeling" and harmony wouldn't fit here. Then we go to a creeping death like riff followed by harmony in B minor.
The outro is a bit weak.
BEWARE: This is metal and there's a lot of thumping a muted E, I suggest only listening to the Verse only once and skipping the rest because it's really repetive without vocals.
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Ninth Circle.zip (3.8 KB, 199 views)
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4

Last edited by pinguinpanic : 01-09-2009 at 08:30 PM.
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #77
one vision
Trolling /sg/

Yeah, it's empty. I'll listen to the track when I get home.

The attachment is posted, but no text.

SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #78
pinguinpanic

I fixed everything, also One Vision I liked your composition but I don't think I'm on that high level yet so it's hard to comment, it's above my knowledge so to say. But it sounds nice although the beginning sounds a bit slow, but that might also be why it sounds so nice.
The youtube video sounds nice as well, you must have put everything on 11?
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #79
SG Man Forever
all dongs go to heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguinpanic
Is it just me or does my post appear empty to everyone? If I edit it it's full of text.

EDIT, perhaps it works here:

The main riff was quite nice, but I did not the F of the bass in the new version, nor did I like the E in the old. Your using the D as a pedal note in the riff and I think you should have kept the bass on this aswell. The riff at the beginning is quite cool, although it gets a bit repetitive. But perhaps you could solve it by doing something that maiden does aswell, repeating the same lick over different chords (or different notes on this example). So like having the bass do something like
|D |F |G |F-E|.
W E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q.
--5----------------|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--|--8--8--8--8--8--8------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q.
--10--10--10--10--10--10--10--10--|--8--8--8--8--7--7------|

This way the notes in the riff stay the same but their distance to the "bass progression" differs giving different sounds and making it more interesting.

The rest sounding interesting though, I really liked the solo, how you let like the theme come back and build arround it.
But I assume you still have to put it like in correct order, because that intro really came out of nowhere (It was nice though but didn't fit the song).

(I'll edit in a sec with some of my stuff for you guys to have a look at but IE is a bit dodgy)

That's actually a really good idea, even though I consciously had that many repetitions, so that way I could play with the harmonies, I was afriad that it did sound little repetitive. I'll give that a try, thanks! I might keep the F for the first bit, since it provides, combined with the guitar playing a D chord, essentially a D minor chord. I'll play around and see what "progression" I like.

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
SG Man Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #80
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

I like this thread, and all the pieces in here (at least the ones I heard).

Now the only thing left is to start composing

Oh yeah I forgot...

My guitar is broken
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: