Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
Rhoads_1096

Ive never used rockman gear but I've heard a ton about it *runs to guitar shop*
Rhoads_1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #42
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoads_1096
Ive never used rockman gear but I've heard a ton about it *runs to guitar shop*

I suggest you start with a X100 or maybe a sustainor
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #43
Mark G
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRocks
definitely better than the MXR. The DBX is going to be better if you want to have lots of contro,l the Rockman is great at the guitar frequencys and that's it. It's going to be extremely helpful EQing the mids because that's what it was made for.. the DBX is going to be better in the overall everything stuff. the DBX is going to be a bit more refined sound, the rockman a little more 'dirty' I suggest that after you buy (if) you should send it to "RockRefurbs" and they change the caps and everything for 80 bucks and it will sound amazing.

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/refurbrepai rinfo.html

you should be able to get one in europe just look around on Ebay. also it's not that hard to convert it to 240 (thats what you guys run on right?) i'll send you a schem if you like.

overall I suggest the rockman over the DBX if you are looking to EQ a guitar. if you want to eq more than that it's not going to do much because it focus's on the guitar freq range. the DBX will be better at doing whole mixes.

How is the rockman more dirty? I was under the impression EQ's were supposed to be as transparent as possible. I will be using the EQ only for my guitar, as I have more elaborate VST plugins to run over my overall mix. However, the DBX is considerably cheaper so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. The DBX 2x15 band is only 145 euro for example, yet the rockman would have more useable mid frequency sliders.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #44
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G
How is the rockman more dirty? I was under the impression EQ's were supposed to be as transparent as possible. I will be using the EQ only for my guitar, as I have more elaborate VST plugins to run over my overall mix. However, the DBX is considerably cheaper so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. The DBX 2x15 band is only 145 euro for example, yet the rockman would have more useable mid frequency sliders.

By dirty I mean it sounds a bit more dirty. and that is because it's 20 years old. like I said send it in and for 80 bucks they'll recap it and everything. I know what you mean though. The DBX is going to be a great EQ for overall things and maybe more versatile but the Rockman will own it for guitar frequency's
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #45
Mark G
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonrocks
By dirty I mean it sounds a bit more dirty. and that is because it's 20 years old. like I said send it in and for 80 bucks they'll recap it and everything. I know what you mean though. The DBX is going to be a great EQ for overall things and maybe more versatile but the Rockman will own it for guitar frequency's

Ah, got ya I'll keep the rockman in mind, thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #46
Bostonrocks
UG God

yeah no problem.

I forgot to mention the noise gate was used by EVH in the 80s

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era
Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #47
nightraven

do you by any chance have any clips of the stereo echo?

i've been interested in that old thing for a while now
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #48
Bostonrocks
UG God

I do not. but search around. it's one of the best echo's I have ever heard. it's warm and rich it's just awesome. lots of studio's still use em' they're that good.

look jark's webstie. gimme a minute..

http://www.rockman.fr/Samples/Samples.htm#SE

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era

Last edited by Bostonrocks : 09-06-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #49
Bostonrocks
UG God

Bump for the heck of it

EDIT: Nightraven I know this a bit old. but I'll respond anyways. if you want great analog echo buy one now. I've seen 2 or 3 in studio's before, they're that good.

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era

Last edited by Bostonrocks : 10-16-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #50
nightraven

it's not very practical for a pedalboard but maybe if a cheap one crops up some day and i have cash lying around i may try to pounce on it to give it a shot, and for the flip factor
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #51
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

ok Boston, let me get this strait. You want all of us to be playing through headphones, so music does not spread to everyone across the world, one apartment at a time. That would be killing free music, because the neighbors love to hear me play scales I'm sure!

On a more serious note, I have never heard of Rockman. I think I will have to look into this X100 deal you talk so much about. Really, most headphone outs sound like crap, but this sounds promising.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #52
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightraven
it's not very practical for a pedalboard but maybe if a cheap one crops up some day and i have cash lying around i may try to pounce on it to give it a shot, and for the flip factor

nope not practical at all for a Board. but boy does it sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
ok Boston, let me get this strait. You want all of us to be playing through headphones, so music does not spread to everyone across the world, one apartment at a time. That would be killing free music, because the neighbors love to hear me play scales I'm sure!

On a more serious note, I have never heard of Rockman. I think I will have to look into this X100 deal you talk so much about. Really, most headphone outs sound like crap, but this sounds promising.

Yep. NO FREE MUSIC!!!!

if you want good rock'n'Roll tone for night time you can't go wrong with a X100 it'll sound great through nice headphones and even better through your stereo.

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era

Last edited by Bostonrocks : 10-17-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #53
ferretjoe
discordian pope

Question

I have a question, I have an old ultralight ( model IIp ), and was wondering if I could use an insert cable from the combo aux in/low level out jack to connect a Behringer Virtualizer Pro for recording? I would just try it, but don't want to fry anything. Has anyone tried this?
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502

Last edited by ferretjoe : 11-15-2009 at 07:14 PM.
ferretjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #54
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretjoe
I have a question, I have an old ultralight ( model IIp ), and was wondering if I could use an insert cable from the combo aux in/low level out jack to connect a Behringer Virtualizer Pro for recording? I would just try it, but don't want to fry anything. Has anyone tried this?

Yep how I used to do it.

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era
Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 AM   #55
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic

Location: If you're lookin' for me, better check under the sea...

At 4:00, what model is that?

Also, I love that video...though it frightens me to see his enormous hands on a regular scale guitar. >_>

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Td_Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #56
Bostonrocks
UG God

TD: *GASP*

If it is what i think it is. there are less than 10 in existance. It's the rockman "superhead". it's nothing more than an XPRa in head format with 2x 50w power amp/PA. Basically you'll never get one....

it also may be just a XP100 with one of the sides taken off. in that case you can get one for about 500-700

also just keep and eye out for an XPR (Not to be confused with the XPRa which had a better noise gate and some extra features. very rare) it'll run you about 600.

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #57
Bostonrocks
UG God

Bump :d :d

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era
Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #58
DVBAS

You really like to get bumping, don't you?

It does look like nice equipment though, I've always considered the Boston-tone as one of the best sounds from the 70's.
DVBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #59
RR787
"Fastest on the Downhill"

My guitar tech has 2 distortion generators and a whole of Rockman gear. Best tone ever imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
RR787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #60
Bostonrocks
UG God

DVABS the last time I bumped this thread was october of 09. lay off me.

RR787: I own a DG great stuff. I love em'

yawn

Quote:
The end of an era

Rate This Thread: