Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #41
0RI0N

I finished reading the little engine that could. It was very inspiring.
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
0RI0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #42
bada-bing
UG's Andy Pandy

love ben elton, i know the guy gets some stick and criticism but i always find myself engrossed in whatever he writes....dead famous, high society to name a couple.

Just now though i have finished reading 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace, i know the film has been released but i forgot i had the book (published in 2005). His stlye of writing is great and very funny. I am easily pleased.

Maybe an idea to think about if its not been done already....Books turned into films, good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedefrockednun
you made my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-ECTRO
bada bing or whatever he's called. EPIC WIN.

Mighty Blades
bada-bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #43
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is amazing. I finished half of it in one day.

1984 is also a must-read.

If you're a fantasy fan, I suggest reading Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #44
Mr. La Fritz
Liber Al Vel Legis

I'm readin Lolita by Nabokov again at the moment along with Lord of the Rings for the billionth time.
It's nice to have some variety.

Then I'm going to read the major works of Oscar Wilde along with The Silmarillion, Notes From Undergound - Dostoevsky, Haunted - Palahniuk, The Metamorphosis - Kafka and Perfume Patrick Suskind.

I've been buying books but not having the time to enjoy them due to school work/work but now I'm getting time off so I can get through those. I managed to get all of those books cheap due to a friend of mine working in a bookshop, I'm quite spoiled really.

I have just under 100 books in my library and I couldn't name a favourite. IT by Stephen King is the first in my mind, along with most of my Pratchett collection (The Colour of Magic, Guards!Guards!, Going Postal etc. being some of my favourites).

About dystopian novels, I just finished reading Brave New World and I was underwhelmed to say the least, the idea was excellent behind it but the characters annoyed me and the ending was dire. I must just not be a fan of dystopian novels though because I felt the same way about 1984...
Animal Farm, I thought, was a lot better than 1984, I read it in a night.

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

Last edited by Mr. La Fritz : 01-22-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Mr. La Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #45
freddaahh
A jolly nice chap

I'm not in the mood to run through my list of favourites, as I've done so in nearly every book thread that comes around.

But I finished reading Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell, it's easily in my top five favourite books. It's effectively Orwell's memoirs of living in poverty and destitute in Paris and London. Very funny, grim and an amazing portrait of poverty in the two cities.

I've started American Scream - a biography of Bill Hicks, very interesting, nicely written, although I know half of the story already.

To read next:

Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell
Hell's Angels ~ Better than Sex - Hunter S. Thompson
On The Road - Jack Kerouac.
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
freddaahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #46
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist

I am reading 'A History of God' by Karen Armstrong, and Will Self's 'Psychogeography'. Both of which are excellent.
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
rabidguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #47
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

i started The Road by Cormac McCarthy the other day, but i'm not too far into it. i'm not understanding the praise for him, perhaps that will will when i am more than 15 pages along.

i'm also taking a class on William Blake where we are reading pretty much everything that he has ever done. really intriguing stuff. i suggest that you at least read something by him, it is all easy to get your hands on.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #48
cmakkidguitar
Voice of logic and kings

Reading Fear and Loathing at the mo, not quite finished yet but so far it's infinitely better than the film, and i'm gonna go out to get Kerouac's On The Road pretty much the second i finish it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
cmakkidguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #49
Craigo
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddaahh
Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell

PRETENTIOUS BIG TEXT ALERT

Just getting your attention. This is Orwell's best book. Screw 1984, screw Animal Farm, this book is fantastic and beats both.

I'm currently reading Confessions of a Crap Artist by Philip K. Dick which is an interesting read I guess. After that I'm bashing through To Kill A Mockingbird, IT, The Picture of Dorian Gray. If I don't try bashing through the Dark Tower series after that, I'm gonna get through The Birth of Tragedy by Nietzsche and hopefully a range of Sartre, Russell and finish off reading The Republic, a book I've given up on a few times as, well, it's actually quite bad.

Going through the classics in my Waterstones, a book caught by eye. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It was huge but it captured my interest. Any word on this?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #50
LastToKnow

At the moment, amongst quite a few others, I'm mostly reading Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale'. I thought I'd hate it because I've read some of her short stories and found her really, really annoying to read. But I'm reading this and so far I'm enjoying it. Seems to work a lot better as a concept than the short stories I've read. Blatantly majorly Orwellian, but that's a good thing in my books. Having said that, I'm only on chapter 8 or something, I may well hate it by the end.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
LastToKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #51
Craigo
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
i'm also taking a class on William Blake where we are reading pretty much everything that he has ever done. really intriguing stuff. i suggest that you at least read something by him, it is all easy to get your hands on.

I'm gonna have to say that Songs of Innocence and Experience is one of the greatest books ever written. It's poetry and is probably worth further reading to get a greater grasp of the writing. It's astonishingly good.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #52
floppypick
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
I recommend Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun." About a soldier who gets his arms, legs, eyes, ears, nose, and mouth cut off from a shell during war; one of the best books I've ever read.

F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is, I think, the great american novel. A must read and a classic.

"Wasp" by Eric Frank Russell is one of the best sci-fi books I've read. About a guy who goes to a planet that Earth's at war with, his appearance surgically altered, to wage a "singular war" with the planet through stickers, propaganda, etc. to try to make the planet think a rebellion is imminent. Very interesting read.

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series is about as epic a fantasy series as it gets.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is one of the best books I've ever read. If you haven't already, go read it now. Huzzah, Atticus Finch!

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card took me less than two days to read through. I couldn't put it down; again, a sci-fi must-read.

Those are my suggestions. Cheers guys

I'd have to disagree with one suggestion, it being The Great Gatsby. That was a terribly boring book, I don't think anyone should have to read it. It's a well written book in the sense of being more going on than meets the eye, but the actual story of it is quite dull.

Hehe even my grandfather, who is an avid reader, said didn't enjoy it.

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
floppypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #53
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo
PRETENTIOUS BIG TEXT ALERT
Just getting your attention. This is Orwell's best book. Screw 1984, screw Animal Farm, this book is fantastic and beats both.
[...]
Going through the classics in my Waterstones, a book caught by eye. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. It was huge but it captured my interest. Any word on this?

your large text has gotten me interested. i'll put that on my "to read list"

as for W+P, it is worth the read, if only for these reasons:
1. to say you have read it
2. the sense of accomplishment you feel when you are finally done with it
3. you will never be intimidated by another book for as long as you live
4. it is actually pretty darn good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo
I'm gonna have to say that Songs of Innocence and Experience is one of the greatest books ever written. It's poetry and is probably worth further reading to get a greater grasp of the writing. It's astonishingly good.

i just finished (re)reading that for class and i was actually going to suggest that as a starting point for Blake. i also have really enjoyed The Book Of Thel.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #54
Craigo
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
as for W+P, it is worth the read, if only for these reasons:
1. to say you have read it
2. the sense of accomplishment you feel when you are finally done with it
3. you will never be intimidated by another book for as long as you live
4. it is actually pretty darn good

So... To feed my ego? I'm sold

I hate having big reading lists though
Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #55
slidething31

So I know as far as Kerouac goes, On The Road gets the most attention generally, but I think that Dharma Bums was actually much better.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #56
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidething31
So I know as far as Kerouac goes, On The Road gets the most attention generally, but I think that Dharma Bums was actually much better.

i actually couldn't finish On The Road, but from what i have heard i am willing to give Dharma Bums a shot.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #57
[-=-[D-Roc]-=-]
Rockin Since 1991

i'd have to agree with...who ever said "To Kill a Mockingbird", that is a great book, i've read it twice now. i think it defines that "stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone" mentalilty

another good book...er...series i guess is the Eragon books, if you like that dragons n magic stuff, i have yet to read the third one tho...im getting there.

Edit: and The Outsiders

Last edited by [-=-[D-Roc]-=-] : 01-22-2009 at 02:34 PM.
[-=-[D-Roc]-=-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #58
Cal UK
Viktor Vaughn

Just reading a Rebus book by Ian Rankin. The specific name escapes me, but tis good, I've not read a nice thriller for a while.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #59
[Arran]
Latericius Valete

The Wheel Of Time books are brilliant for fantasy fanatics. Masterpieces in my opinion.

My dad told me that a book called "The Mote In God's Eye" is a good sci-fi book, but I have yet to read this.
[Arran] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #60
Pagan-Pie
UG's Ziltoidian Overlord

I finished War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy about a month ago... it was amazing.

I'm currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, which is good thus far

Rate This Thread: