Search:

Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #61
TheMidasTouch
Thank You Based God

Probably already said. My favorite book is The Brothers Karamazov
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #62
highwaysalmon
Wegisteud Use-uh

Just started reading Stranger In A Strange Land.

It's great so far.

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
highwaysalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #63
joe124

Currently reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk (guy who wrote Fight Club)
one ****ed up book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTHRAX†
When in doubt, whip it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_picker36
...im a girl i dont know how to upload pictures and stuff.

joe124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #64
Adam...?
A user of some sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by samick007
I thought Catch 22 was horrible, but maybe it just takes a certain personality type to enjoy it.

It's got a weird sense of humour to it, but I personally found it hilarious. One of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugunruhe
im reading timequake right now.

its my eleventh kurt vonnegut fiction book. i think theres only twenty or so, i gotta catch em all!

Awesome. I'm doing "Sirens of Titan" right now, and I think that's number eight or nine for me. "Timequake" is next on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakanku
At the moment im engrossed in Mark Z. Danielewski's 'House Of Leaves', its the most unique book I have ever read, its not normal at all. I highly suggest it to anyone that like abit of a challenge.

That one's pretty damn fantastic too.

Other stuff that may or may not have already been mentioned:
-"Flowers for Algernon," Daniel Keyes
-"Wuthering Heights," Bronte
-"The Stand," Stephen King
-"One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
-"The Gods Themselves," Isaac Asimov
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #65
Neopowell the PUSO
Pick a card, any card

Location: Go to the Bristol waterfront in the sunshine. Listen to 'Change' by Blind Melon. Smoke a cherry & vanilla flavoured cigarette and think about everyone you love. Turns out that life just isn't that bad...
Whoever said World War Z gets a cookie. I had no idea a book about zombies could be so jaw-droppingly good.

I'm reading Stephen Lawhead's 'Celtic Crusades' at the moment, I'm not particularly impressed so far but maybe it'll get better. I'm also re-reading Beckett's complete works for the gazillionth time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.
Neopowell the PUSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #66
Hakanku
Tactician & Dreamweaver

Now im at home I can remember the rest of the books that I enjoyed, okay here goes;

Chuck Palahniuk - Survivor; In my opinion Chuck's best, far better than Fight club, haunted, choke and even invisible monsters (all of which are also good books). There is something about this book that made me not put it down, I read all of it within a couple days, when normally it takes me weeks to read books because I only normally read at night

William Golding - Lord of the flies; Classic, no need to say anymore

Anthony Burgess - a clockwork orange; I'll admit I thoroughly enjoyed the first half, and then it waned abit, but when I finnished reading it and looked back on it I realised how much I enjoyed it as a whole

John O'Farrell - May contain nuts; not a standard book that most people know, and its hardly litrature for the mind. Its quite a simple book and simply written, but I think it appeals to all ages with the issues it deals with and I honestly could say I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and learnt a lesson. And it was pretty humorous too.

Aldous Huxley - Overall superb book, but the ending seemed to not do justice to the rest of the book, still a classic though.

Orwell - 1984 - Same as above,

Irvine Welsh - Trainspotting; At first it was difficult with the language barrier (its written as spoken tongue in scottish accents, for example 'Hi! Whit's the fukin score? One guy in a black, purple and aqua shell-suite wi a flat-top asks.', now imagine it like that for every line. Once I got over that and got used to what meant what I was engrossed in the book.

Philip K. Dick - Do androids dream of electric sheep?; I don't know why I loved this book so much, there isnt anything I can look back on and think why I loved it, all I know is that I loved it and I read it within a couple days.

If your in to fantasy books, I highly suggest David Gemmell, especially the Rigante series and the Waylander series. Superb books, not the best written with huge descriptions etc, but it emerses you in to the book and has superb storylines.
Hakanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #67
Von.
For thine is the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. La Fritz
Then I'm going to read the major works of Oscar Wilde along with The Silmarillion, Notes From Undergound - Dostoevsky, Haunted - Palahniuk, The Metamorphosis - Kafka and Perfume Patrick Suskind.

If you mean Portrait of Dorian Gray, very good. Awesome book. The Silmarillion was excellent. I read it back when I was younger after being introduced to the whole LOTR craze, a lot heavier than the trilogy. I should probably read it again.

I loved The Metamorphosis. A little short, but the best out of anything I've read in the last year.
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Von. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #68
Duval67

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
All of you, read it.
Now.
Duval67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #69
Von.
For thine is the

^On my list, heard way too many recommendations to NOT ignore it.
THROAT

Literature thread
Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #70
mogan777

i just started invisible man by ralph ellison. pretty good so far

anybody in here read Jude the Obscure? my english teacher said it the most depressing book he ever read, which of course made me want to try it
mogan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #71
JezuzFingerz
What Does it Mean?

I love the entire Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler, not deep stuff, but entertaining.
I also really liked the biography of John Lennon, it's long as hell but worth it.

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

JezuzFingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #72
GettintheLedout

Just read The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg. It was unbelievable.

Also, I am fond of recommending The Kingdoms Of Thorn And Bone by Greg Keyes. Amazing epic fantasy.

Magician by Raymond E. Fiest. It has been split into two books, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master and spawned multiple sequels, split into multiple sagas. Magician is now the first two books of the "Riftwar" saga. The sequels aren't as good, imo.

If you don't mind a slightly juvenile style, check out The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. On top of all the things that make them good fantasy novels, the footnotes (yes, footnotes) are hilarious.

In a similar vein (minus the footnotes), the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer are very good too.

And if anyone wants to start reading Star Wars novels, PM me and I will start you off/guide you. Its too complicated to post.

Last edited by GettintheLedout : 01-23-2009 at 01:16 AM.
GettintheLedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #73
shadow__666
*meaningless bollocks*

Location: And it doesn't matter if you're sad, no one likes to feel like they've been had, you may be OK but you won't wear our T-shirts now...
I'm currently reading The House Of God by Samuel Shem. It's a terrific book; if you want to learn more about the realities of hospitals, give it a geeze.
shadow__666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #74
raindropsXroses

Without You, by Anthony Rapp. He was Mark in the original broadway/off-broadway production/movie Rent. It's his memoir. Although I don't generally like audiobooks, I would definitely recommend the audiobook over the book in this case. Anthony Rapp narrates it himself, and it is wonderful. If you're not a fan of Rent it won't mean much to you, but if you are a Rent-head like me, you MUST read/listen to this.
raindropsXroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #75
hendris

Okay boys and girls, it looks like this thread is slowly dying...which is probably good considering what I'm about to suggest. I don't really read much but if I were to recommend anything I'd recommend The DaVinci Code (of course, it's good). Also,
Twilight
Dead serious. This one girl talked me into reading the first book. I finished it in three days and then proceeded to go out and buy the next three books. I finished the second and third books in two days each and the fourth in three. I'm sure if anybody else posts in this thread they will probably call me gay for this choice. I don't care. I LOVE these books.

....I also enjoyed Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
hendris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #76
Ancient Jello
the Blues is alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegs
i really liked this boys life by tobias wolff

Watch the movie version last night - Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert de Niro are brilliant in it. I've ordered the book via the net today.

My favourite book of 2008 was 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak.

So far in 2009 'Map of the Harbor Islands' by J G Hayes is my top book.

UG's Blues Group
UG's LGBTQQ Group

Support Local Music
Sleep With a Musician

All dressed up an' no place to glow
Ancient Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 AM   #77
Von.
For thine is the

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendris
Okay boys and girls, it looks like this thread is slowly dying...which is probably good considering what I'm about to suggest. I don't really read much but if I were to recommend anything I'd recommend The DaVinci Code (of course, it's good). Also,
Twilight
Dead serious. This one girl talked me into reading the first book. I finished it in three days and then proceeded to go out and buy the next three books. I finished the second and third books in two days each and the fourth in three. I'm sure if anybody else posts in this thread they will probably call me gay for this choice. I don't care. I LOVE these books.

....I also enjoyed Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Well..........I'll be nice. You're gay. That's as far as I'll take that.

Jurassic Park was good though.
THROAT

Literature thread
Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #78
tayroar
Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret.
I intend to read Aldous Huxley's entire bibliography by the end of the year

wish me luck

He wrote good books, but he also seemed to have a really high opinion of himself lol.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #79
tayroar
Dragonslayer

Oh by the way, I'm currently reading The Dark Tower. (I'm on the fourth, The Wizard and the Glass) Very good books so far. *spoiler* I love how in the first, it kinda builds up to a confrontation between The Man in Black and Roland, then all they do is talk. It seems boring, but is brilliant. The Man in Black was also secretly fighting Roland with his words, in my opinion. See what I've noticed is The Man in Black speaks in riddles (would have gotten along well with Blaine the Mono). See he speaks the truth but in a way where you believe a completely different thing. My favorite example is Tull. He technically spoke the truth by telling her she'll know what it's like being dead, but it will make her go crazy. *end spoiler*
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #80
germaphobe
I like maps.

I've started reading James Joyce's Finnegans Wake, and I like it so far, though I'm only about 1/4 through.

The Picture of Dorian Gray was a really good book, as was Joyce's Ulysses.
germaphobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: