Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #81
RHunterGN
not an '09er lost old 1

Ok, I'm a little flustered at the moment. I plan on releasing a "demo" in the near future. On it, I plan to include 1 studio cover (The original Super Mario Underground Theme) and 2 live covers (2 RATM songs). What do I need to do to be able to put them on my demo? If I'm putting them out for free, do I actually need to do anything? What if I want to sell?

I realize there was a whole post on it, and believe me, I read it. I'm just still a bit confused.

-Thanks.
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
RHunterGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #82
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

How can you still be confused?

You need a mechanical license. Contact your country's Performing Rights Organization. Going rate is about 8 cents per copy made, whether you sell them or give them away.

There is a minimum licence, typically, for 500 copies, so that would be about $40. This prevents you from paying $0.08 to make "one copy" or anything. It also makes the process of the paperwork actually worth the effort.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #83
RHunterGN
not an '09er lost old 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
How can you still be confused?

You need a mechanical license. Contact your country's Performing Rights Organization. Going rate is about 8 cents per copy made, whether you sell them or give them away.

There is a minimum licence, typically, for 500 copies, so that would be about $40. This prevents you from paying $0.08 to make "one copy" or anything. It also makes the process of the paperwork actually worth the effort.

CT

Ok....I'm an idiot. Is the 500 related to the amount of CDs/Digital Downloads I have? I mean, why would I have to pay anything? I'm pretty much giving my stuff away for free.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what I have to do to get a license. Is the license per song or per person/band?
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Digitech Whammy
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
EHX Pocket Metal Muff
EHX Small Stone
EHX Memory Toy
EHX Holy Grail
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
RHunterGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #84
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

The 500 copies represents a standard minimum licence. It's $40. That prevents a person from saying "I'm going to make ten copies, so here's a cheque for $0.80." It's not worth the paperwork for you, your bank, the performance rights organization, the recipient, or their bank.

Now, if you make more than 500 copies, you pay for more than 500 copies. Make 600 copies and you pay $48.

Why do you have to pay anything? Because you want to use something that somebody else owns. They are entitled to be compensated for their work and product. It doesn't change anything that you are giving them away for free. They created something and you want to use it. It doesn't matter *how* you want to use it. It matters that you *do* want to use it. If you don't want to use someone else's stuff, then make your own.

I might note, though, that AFAIK, the entire industry looks the other way for cover bands who make live demos and who use that demo to secure gigs. There is a small number of copies made (relatively) and they are not being made widely available - only to talent buyers. That is measurably different from a cover band who makes a demo to give to all their fans and friends which is a considerably more open use.

To get a licence, contact your country's Mechanical Licencing organization (I wrongly said performance rights organization in my above post).

CMRRA in Canada: http://www.cmrra.ca/Mechanical_Lice..._licensing.html

Harry Fox Agency in USA: http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

PRS for Music in the UK: http://www.prsformusic.com

..... or wherever else you happen to be, you'll have to look it up....

The mechanical licence you pay is per song. So, if you want to release a cover album with ten songs and make 1000 copies, you would pay $0.08 x 10 x 1000 = $800. The websites there should tell you everything else you need to know.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #85
JDizzle787
Color me impressed

So, I have a question relating to band names... apparently a band some of our other members are also in scored a magazine interview, but were told they had to take the "s" off the end of their name because there was a photography company by the same name. Then they came back worried about our name... does this make any sense?

I have read what's in this thread, but I just want to clarify...
JDizzle787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #86
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

First of all, the magazine has no jurisdiction over what anyone calls their band.

Second, just because you're a journalist of some description for a magazine doesn't mean that you have any inkling about business or entertainment law.

(mind you, you could also levy the same argument at me... just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean I have any inkling either....)

Let's say you have a band called Shutters. There is also a photography company called Shutters. I don't see a problem with that. It's not like anyone is going to go into the Shutters store and look for the new Shutters CD. It's not like anyone is going to show up at a club and ask one of the guys in the band about the advantages of larger apertures in SLR photography. If there is no potential confusion or mis-association, generally, there is no problem.

CT

Quote:
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #87
Forkman
Julian

Hey, I read your post on bands using the same name and had some questions I hope you could answer. How do you decide whether a band is 'big' enough to not use the same name? I ask because my band recently decided upon a name only to find that it used to belong to a band that was only active between 1993-1994 and released one album.

However, they have had compilations CDs released as recent as 2006 and have 22,128 listeners on Last.Fm, which I'm guessing puts them as big enough not to use their name. And from what I've gathered simply plurasing their name or something similar is not enough?

Thanks for your time btw, I really appreciate the stuff you've already written

EDIT: A search of Last.fm also reveals a very little known 70's hard rock psychedelia band with 68 listeners of the same name and other smaller bands with names adding 'The' or 'An' on the front. Searching iTunes shows an Indian band with the same name. *sigh*

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you

Last edited by Forkman : 06-20-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Forkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #88
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

It comes down to whether they do business in the same market. Now, to get a handle on where this comes from, let's pretend (just for a moment) that the internet doesn't exist.

You have a cover band called The Rockers in New York. You have another one in Los Angeles. Is a cover band, realistically, *ever* going to go across North America to play any gigs? No. In fact, you could have one in Los Angeles and in San Diego (what... maybe a 6 hour drive?) and have reasonable grounds to suggest that neither of them do business in the other's market.

But what about an original band? Well, it gets a *little* more complicated. Is it likely that the original band from New York will go on tour and do business in the LA market? It's quite possible. But are they? (because whether they *are* or not is what matters) If they are, then that band is "big enough." Even if they have only played a couple of shows there and have 175 hits on their Myspace and sold 5 CD's.... they could still have a valid argument that they are doing business there. And if they are... then you can't, under the same name. On the other end of the spectrum, they may have a distribution deal with Universal that puts them into stores all over the country, in which case, even if they haven't sold *any* in that city, they could lay claim to the fact that they are doing business in that market under that name.

Now.... back to reality and taking into consideration the existence of the WWW. Ultimately, it comes down to whether or not they *are* doing business there, or can make a reasonable claim that they are, should they choose to call you on it.

For example, you can go on line anywhere in the world and buy my band's CD from our website. We have shipped CD's outside of Canada. We shipped one to New Jersey, for instance. However, can you really suggest that we are doing business in the New Jersey market, considering that:
-we've never played there
-we don't have any shows lined up there
-we have sold only one CD there

I think if someone wanted to use our name there, and it got challenged in court that one of us was interfering with the other's market, we would find the losing end of that one.

So, in short, it's not so much whether they are "big enough" as much as it is, "are they doing business in my market?" and "will our markets conceivably overlap at some point?"

Couple of examples:

The Raconteurs had to change their name to the Saboteurs for the Australian market. There was already a jazz (I think) combo under that name. AFAIK, they were also a pretty localized band within Australia, but it would be easier for the Raconteurs to market themselves to an Australian market as the Saboteurs, than it would be for them to be known all over Australia as the Raconteurs - except in, say, Melbourne where they are known as the Saboteurs.

Bush had to be marketed in North America (maybe just Canada?) as Bush X because there was a band already called Bush in Canada. Nobody knew who they were. It's not like they were "big enough" to make Bush X have to use their alternate name. It only mattered that they were doing business here.

CT

Quote:
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #89
Forkman
Julian

Thanks for your help

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Forkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #90
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

No prob.

CT

Quote:
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #91
Rocker_94
Eh?

Hey guys. I found this free copyright site online called myows.com
Does anyone know anything about it?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #92
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Hi Axeman,

So I made up a country song, which turned out to be the same melody and chords of another country song. It got me thinking that a lot of country songs actually sound alike, and that you could trace all the popular melodies back to a set of 5-10 songs written around 50 years ago. There would be a similar situation with blues songs I imagine.

Anyways, what's your opinion on copyright entitlements in this situation? The best possible situation if there was some mass lawsuit thing going on is if it was all traced back to one song which had entered the public domain and was no longer covered by copyright. But what if it wasn't?

Perhaps the correct answer is "nobody in the country scene would dare sue eachother, as it would just start a war", but still interesting to think about.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #93
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Interesting...though perhaps a pretty narrow view of country music.

However, as a possible precedent, the estate of Robert Johnson tried suing Zeppelin a number of years ago. I can't remember how it worked out, though.

CT

Quote:
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #94
ironmanben

I'm pretty sure riffs can be copyrighted but only if they're pretty specific. Like, you could copyright Black Dog, but not something that's more of a chord progression like Wild Thing.

Can anyone help me with the CO form for copyright? If I have an EP, and I'm writing the name of the work, is it correct to have a box for each song and have one last box at the end that says "Contained in the album [insert album name here]"?
ironmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #95
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

can you post a scan of it? It sounds right, but a "work" could be a single song or could be an album. Depending on how the form is laid out, it could suggest that each individual song needs to be done, regardless of whether it is an EP or an album or whatever else.

And in the end... you are copyrighting your songs, not the album.

CT

Quote:
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 AM   #96
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanben
I'm pretty sure riffs can be copyrighted but only if they're pretty specific. Like, you could copyright Black Dog,

I would be inclined to agree. Based on the nature of that riff, I would describe that as "melodically significant." It is a very identifiable four-bar melody contained within the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanben
but not something that's more of a chord progression like Wild Thing.

And that's a good choice for a comparison for something not melodically significant.

In the end, that's what it comes down to... is it melodically or lyrically identifiable and significant?

The further into the grey area you wander, the more likely it is to be decided by a jury.

It's just that too many people come up with some "riff" along the lines of Symphony of Destruction or, hell, even Smoke on the Water and think they have something copyright-able.

CT

Quote:
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #97
ironmanben

Quote:
It sounds right, but a "work" could be a single song or could be an album. Depending on how the form is laid out, it could suggest that each individual song needs to be done, regardless of whether it is an EP or an album or whatever else.

And in the end... you are copyrighting your songs, not the album.

CT

Let's see if I can make it clearer...

So if you're trying to copyright your demo, you have form CO, and you have section 1, the type of work is a "sound recording",
and then you have the spaces below...

would it be correct to have:
Space 1 - [Insert song title here]
Space 2 - [Insert song title here]
Space 3 - [Insert song title here]
Space 4 - [Insert song title here]
Space 5 - [Insert song title here]
Space 6 - [contained within the album "[insert album title here]"

???
ironmanben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #98
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
can you post a scan of it? It sounds right, but a "work" could be a single song or could be an album.

Context is everything.

CT

Quote:
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #99
kbabz22

Dude you just made my day I need all of this for an assignment
Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #100
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I'm glad people are finding it useful.

CT

Quote:

Rate This Thread: