Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Sam Ash or Guitar Center?
Sam Ash 21 40.38%
Guitar Center 31 59.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Aznargo

Guitar Center VS Sam Ash?

Okay, I'll cut right to the chase. I'm going to Sam Ash today to try out some amps, pedals, etc. And my brother has always told me that Guitar Center will rip you off.

Is this true?

Last edited by Aznargo : 01-24-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Aznargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
grifff
Unregistered User

What do you mean Sam Ash or Guitar Center? Do you mean which one will rip you off or which one you should go to? Go to the one that has the better deals.
grifff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Ackj
UG Freak

I dont have a Sam Ash, but I do have a Guitar Center. Honestly, I dont really like any of the guitar places around me. The small local shops have either no selection, or the people are dicks. Our Guitar Center does have a big selection, but sales people are almost forcing you to buy something and they follow you around the store.
Ackj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Vikingx
Jarhead

I've gotten some pretty sweet deals through both, but I have to say that Sam Ash has always come through for me. I've spent ALOT of money at Sam Ash though... I owned a DJ business for years. So, that could be why they are so willing to make really good deals with me.

Guitar Center has better stock around these parts. I usually go to Sam Ash first and if they don't have what I want I head to Guitar Center. I have also played them against each other before for a better price. You know... telling Guitar Center that Sam Ash offered me a lower price and getting them to low ball Sam Ash.
Vikingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Adam Loeke

Buy from which ever store is selling what you want for less.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
uctlaum01
Alter Bridge Nation!

when I was looking around for my first guitar, I went to both guitar center and sam ash. my plan was to buy after christmas with the money I got for the holiday, and this was a few weeks before, so I had no intention to buy. I was very up front about that at both places. at guitar center the guy pretty much blew me off telling me to come back closer to when I plan on purchasing. at sam ash, the guy actually took out not only the guitar I said I was looking at, but a few more as well. I was quite impressed. I've done business with sam ash before as I bought my trombone there, but had never dealt with anyone in guitars other than buying strings for my brother. I had every intention to buy my guitar there, but then ended up buying a used one. I still bought my amp and accessories there, and probably will continue to. the only thing I didn't do at sam ash was get my guitar set up. I went there and I was told it'd be like $60 and take 1 to 2 weeks. I went to a local guitar shop and he did it same day, and I think only charged me $40.
uctlaum01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
silvadolla

Both stores often sell their merchandise for prices that can be unreasonable. Of course, it is a business and they have overhead costs (paying employees, store upkeep, etc.). However, the best deals I have found related to music equipment has been online. I tend to find the best deals at Musicians Friend online. Of course, you have to wait a week or so if you buy your items with standard shipping, but, you don't have to pay taxes or any of those other nonsense fees unless you're ordering something huge like a full stack amplifier. I have bought several things off of Musicians Friend, and I regularly find the same products sold at Sam Ash and Guitar Center for considerably cheaper at MF. Basically, those guitar stores are convenient. If you need a pack of strings or something and you dont want to wait a week, buy them from Guitar Center/Sam Ash, if you can wait a week (and buy in bulk), you'll be saving yourself a lot of money in the end. I usually try products out that I'm interested in at GC or SA, write down their model numbers then order them online.

My gear:
2008 Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Marshall JMP Master Volume 50w 2x12

Last edited by silvadolla : 01-24-2009 at 08:03 PM.
silvadolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
JackWhite333
GOLF WANG

I prefer Guitar Center over Sam Ash because the lack of the cool guitars Sam Ash has. Atleast at Guitar Center they have a wider selection of guitars, basses, drums sets etc. but it's farther away for me to get there....

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
JackWhite333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Thrasher51

GC has a wider selection of guitars, but a sorely lacking amount of accessories, while Sam Ash has tons of accessories but not enough guitars. So I do both.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Jacob6293
ummm......guitarist?

I prefer Sam Ash, it's bigger and has a broader selection and variety of instruments. Wrong forum though.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Jacob6293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
Castiel

prefer samash, Cleaner, better lit, the store clerks leave me alone, Less n00bs playing crappy riffs.
Castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
toppsseller

I don't have a Sam Ash. I have tried to find some redeeming value at my local guitar center, but the people that work there are so transparent. No matter what I seem to ask they never have an opinion other than "it's great I love it." I don't expect anyone to bad mouth the products they sell but at least have some sort of comparative opinion.
toppsseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
rockguitar83

I used to work at GC when I lived in the States, across the street from Sam Ash. Both places treat their employes like crap. Most people don't last more than a year. It's all about sell sell sell. Do not trust whatever advice you are given in any of them.
I know there are some honest people working there but it is simply not promoted in the structure of the company. Most staff does not know what they sell either.
My advice is to talk to other musicians, search online, and only go to these stores with a clear idea of what you want.
rockguitar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
xChristgrindeRx
Mother Earth Fire Thunder

I like Guitar Center because it's just about 4 times the size, if not more, and just about everyone who goes, just goes to play or buy strings. At Sam Ash, since its so tiny, you don't really go unless you plan on buying something. But the two stores have very different brands. You don't see many Deans at GC, which you'll see at Sam Ash. But at the same time, you don't see as many Schecters or any of that sort at Sam Ash. Only thing I really don't like about GC is they don't carry Zoom recording products, and one of the staff at mine seems like a cheap imitation of Kerry King and Scott Ian, with that beard and "I'm so metal I don't show emotion" kind of thing going on.

All in all, Guitar Center is better. More sales, cheaper prices, more people to meet, less pressure on purchasing. But that might not be the same at every store.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
BassGirl182
Blink fan

Hmm...Sam ash has hot guitar players....and Guitar Center has even hotter guitar players...

I choose GC

plus, they're cheaper

Blink fan? add me
BassGirl182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #16
ominous24

I buy a lot of stuff from Sam Ash and quite often get 20% coupons. Best I have seen from Guitar Center is 10%.
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
ominous24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #17
monotony777
thread killer

Which ever has what I want. I went to a small store and they didn't have a single Les Paul, just various knock offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAl
But they all fall under the catagory i like to call sh!tcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Jake
Oh and BTW i didn't start it, i was like WTF at first but then everyone else did it, and i didn't wanna be left out,
monotony777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: