Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
radomu
Registered User
 
radomu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Your Top 5 Most Favorite Bands

Okay, I know it has been done a million times, but I'm making a yet another favorite band thread.
It can be individual artists if you like.
try to diversify the genre if you can and not just do heavy metal...

For example,

1. Led Zeppelin - Heavy metal, world music, blues-rock
2. The Corrs - Folk Rock, Pop, Celtic
3. Cream - Psychedelic Rock, Blues Rock
5. The Black Crowes - Hard rock, Blues rock, Southern Rock
6. Whitesnake - Hard Rock, Heavy Metal

Last edited by radomu : 03-19-2009 at 01:19 AM.
radomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
TheNewArmy
Army of One
 
TheNewArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I,ll take it from a guitar playing perspective...

1- Slayer; greatest riffs ever and a great way to loosen up...releasing tension!!

2- U2 ; Love the dexterity and sound

3- YES ; Pure technique

4- Anthrax ; Just love it!

5- Pink Floyd ; David Gilmour is God.... LOL
__________________
TheNewArmy

BC Rich Warlock
Jackson V
Gibson SG Custom

Marshall twin880
oh yeah...pedals........
TheNewArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
radomu
Registered User
 
radomu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewArmy
I,ll take it from a guitar playing perspective...

1- Slayer; greatest riffs ever and a great way to loosen up...releasing tension!!

2- U2 ; Love the dexterity and sound

3- YES ; Pure technique

4- Anthrax ; Just love it!

5- Pink Floyd ; David Gilmour is God.... LOL


Both irish bands on no.2
radomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
ninjagayden777
A Bawdy Little Monkey
 
ninjagayden777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Talking

1.Hurt-Thoughtful songwriting and loads of great catchy guitar hooks

2.Pink Floyd-Who can't love this band? At least before Roger left and all hell broke loose.

3.Combichrist-Not too cool to have an industrial group with no guitar as one of your favorites on this site( ), but screw it, they rule.

4.Circa Survive-Their guitar playing is almost always spacy and solo-esque, no matter what part of the song they're in, and that takes a lot of talent to pull that off!

5.Job For A Cowboy-Best Metalcore band out there. Doom is probably the best album that genre has ever spawned. And before someone attacks me, I know they're more Deathcore now.

Last edited by ninjagayden777 : 02-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.
ninjagayden777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
radomu
Registered User
 
radomu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagayden777
1.Hurt-Thoughtful songwriting and loads of great catchy guitar hooks

2.Pink Floyd-Who can't love this band? At least before Roger left and all hell broke loose.

3.Combichrist-Not too cool to have an industrial group with no guitar as one of your favorites on this site( ), but screw it, they rule.

4.Circa Survive-Their guitar playing is almost always spacy and solo-esque, no matter what part of the song they're in, and that takes a lot of talent to pull that off!

5.Job For A Cowboy-Best Metalcore band out there. Doom is probably the best album that genre has ever spawned. And before someone attacks me, I know they're more Deathcore now.


I weirdly loved Floyd's frist album the most...
radomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
ChrisN
I signed up for this?
 
ChrisN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nottingham, England
I'm going to give my list as far as overall listening time and influence on my music journey.

They're only listed in the order I listened to them in...

1. Oasis
2. U2
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Bloc Party
5. The Fall Of Troy
__________________
404: Sig not found.

Last edited by ChrisN : 02-06-2009 at 04:25 PM.
ChrisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Gris-Gris-Man
savage
 
Gris-Gris-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore
FZ and the Mothers
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jeff Beck
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Cream

no order really, and always changes..i jus picked 5 that came to mind
__________________
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Gris-Gris-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
soundgarden19
Registered User
 
soundgarden19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: right there
Soundgarden-Chris has some of the best vocals of all-time.
Jane's Addiction- Two words: Three Days
Clutch- Catchy stoner rock
Phish- Amazing musicians
Grateful Dead/The Mars Volta- both great, the Dead are some of the best musicians and TMV are very original.
__________________
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?


I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
soundgarden19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
goldmember1217
No Cure For Fools
 
goldmember1217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TN / GA
There's no way in hell I can choose only 5 bands overall, so I'll just pick my 5 favorite bands from the last couple weeks.

Cursive - indie rock
Jesu - sludge/post-rock
Fear Before the March of Flames - experimental/hardcore
Andrew Jackson Jihad - folk/punk
Algernon Cadwallader - emo
__________________
goldmember1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Baby Joel
silently leaving the room
 
Baby Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: un voyage la lune
Billy Joel: Fantastic musician. Brilliant songwriter. All the lyrics are about his personal life and real experiences. He also has quite a versatile and flexible voice. He can go from southern preacher voice (As seen in 'Tomorrow Is Today', about halfway through or so) to quite a high tenor ('Why Judy Why'. That is NOT a falsetto!). Great pianist as well.
The Killers: Not only do I like them because the lead singer is Mormon, but they are quite fantastic. Lyrics are super personal (About relatives, girlfriends, personal beliefs/philosophies, etc), the music is well produced, and it has a certain feel that you can only get from some bands.
Buckethead: Best guitarist alive, in my opinion. Can play every style, has fantastic technique, fantastic emotion, a great character (Whole chicken thing is pretty sweet), and I think he looks fantastic live (Haven't seen him yet though). Also, he has the greatest respect for other people. Has tributes to over ten different people, including Hendrix, Dimebag, ODB from Wu Tang, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Paul Gilbert, and I guess his parents if you want to count that.
Rise Against: Good ole punk. New album was a disappointment though. Old stuff though in Siren Sound of Counter Culture, and even in Sufferer and Witness, they were quite political, well produced, and Tim's vocals are just superb. Helps me to get my angst out.
Serj Tankian: Basically everything in Rise Against, but Serj is a bit more atonal/serial/strange, and I love it. His voice is so unique. I really don't have to explain more, and my fingers hurt anyways.
__________________
Roscoe's Wetsuit
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
JTROKS
Me, Myself and I
 
JTROKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
1. The White Stripes
2. The Raconteurs
3. Anberlin
4.U2
5. Disciple
__________________
Wouldn't it be great if pigs could fly?
JTROKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
HiImKindaNewAnd
Stupid n00b
 
HiImKindaNewAnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio
Talking Heads-Coked up art school nerd funk/punk, what's not to love?

Can-Seriously, did these guys have some sort of telepathic bond with one another or something?

King Crimson-The band that got me into progressive rock. So many lineups, so many different styles tries out.

(Syd-era) Pink Floyd-LSD-inspired fairy tales! Yippee!!!

The Fall-Rhythm-heavy fun-uh!

Solo artists/Singer-Songwriters:

Tom Waits

Bob Dylan

Frank Zappa

Captain Beefheart

Nick Drake
__________________
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.

Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd : 02-06-2009 at 08:04 PM.
HiImKindaNewAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
radomu
Registered User
 
radomu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS
1. The White Stripes
2. The Raconteurs
3. Anberlin
4.U2
5. Disciple

Raconteurs' latest album is amazing
radomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
mostly I hate u
Revolution I
 
mostly I hate u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
1. Pantera
2. Black Sabbath
3. Metallica
4. Pink Floyd
5. Led Zeppelin
mostly I hate u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #15
RPExecutor
lead
 
RPExecutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Van, B.C.
BTBAM - the most killer prog metal i've ever heard. still. i know some people have problems with them, but they're honestly ****ing fantastic. Alaska was an awesome death metal album and Colors was one of the top 10 albums of '07. whether you want the epic feel, the brutal, chaotic approach, or the soaring acoustic melodies, BTBAM does it, and does it well.

Misery Signals - true innovators of metalcore. Mirrors and OMatMH were truly reminiscent of Botch's best days. the math-rock influence they stick in all their songs is fantastic and makes a much better sound to listen to than your standard metalcore.

Circle Takes The Square - possibly the best lyrical band this side of... well, anything, really. if that's too controversial for you, say "the decade". seriously, though, this band constantly pushes out the lyrical boundaries and always manages to remind me that the true meaning of "emo" is "emotion".

Botch - i've been blathering about them quite a bit all around, but these guys invented metalcore for BFMV and Trivium to wreck. they're completely classic and i would love to have them back.

Krallice - now THAT'S (prog) black metal. all of their songs are a wonderful waterfall of tremolo picking, endless blastbeats, Mick Barr's harsh witch-shriek, and each band member playing their own different song. when Colin Marston said "we're a nature band" he must have been kidding, because nothing natural is this good.
__________________
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
RPExecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #16
hashishish
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Tool
Alice In Chains
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster
The Zico Chain
The Locust
hashishish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #17
radomu
Registered User
 
radomu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPExecutor
BTBAM - the most killer prog metal i've ever heard. still. i know some people have problems with them, but they're honestly ****ing fantastic. Alaska was an awesome death metal album and Colors was one of the top 10 albums of '07. whether you want the epic feel, the brutal, chaotic approach, or the soaring acoustic melodies, BTBAM does it, and does it well.

Misery Signals - true innovators of metalcore. Mirrors and OMatMH were truly reminiscent of Botch's best days. the math-rock influence they stick in all their songs is fantastic and makes a much better sound to listen to than your standard metalcore.

Circle Takes The Square - possibly the best lyrical band this side of... well, anything, really. if that's too controversial for you, say "the decade". seriously, though, this band constantly pushes out the lyrical boundaries and always manages to remind me that the true meaning of "emo" is "emotion".

Botch - i've been blathering about them quite a bit all around, but these guys invented metalcore for BFMV and Trivium to wreck. they're completely classic and i would love to have them back.

Krallice - now THAT'S (prog) black metal. all of their songs are a wonderful waterfall of tremolo picking, endless blastbeats, Mick Barr's harsh witch-shriek, and each band member playing their own different song. when Colin Marston said "we're a nature band" he must have been kidding, because nothing natural is this good.


Interesting because I've never even heard any of those bands...
radomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #18
RPExecutor
lead
 
RPExecutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Van, B.C.
^ it's cool. they don't mind.

but you should eventually. check every single one of them out.

and now to piss everyone off i'll list some recommendations:

BTBAM - All Bodies, Ants Of The Sky
Misery Signals - The Failsafe, Five Years
CTTS - Non-Objective Portrait Of Karma, A Crater To Cough In
Botch - Japam, Frequency Ass Bandit
Krallice - Forgiveness In Rot. nothing else suffices for that band; it's undoubtedly their best song. 15 minutes long, so plug and play... and play... and play... and play...
__________________
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
RPExecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
mikey son
mee
 
mikey son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hell. . . lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by radomu
Interesting because I've never even heard any of those bands...

Do you live under a rock
mikey son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #20
radomu
Registered User
 
radomu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey son
Do you live under a rock


No, I'm just not interested in contemporary heavy metal that much or Prog rock.
radomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.