Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Phil Starr

Help with writing Tabs

After submitting my first few tabs/chords I am concerned that we may be missing out on quite a lot of new tabs because, frankly, the whole process is offputting.

I've had tabs rejected because of using the wrong font, putting the wrong word in the title (live version) and for not guessing that I was inputting ascii code. At least I think that is why they were rejected because there was no feedback.

Eventually I found 'wtf where is my tab' 'wtf why my tabs have been rejected' 'UG will accept your tabs' and a beginners guide to making tabs and chords but it took me hours to find all this. I would much rather have been playing with my guitar than the computer and that is the point, musicians aren't always computer geeks. We need it easy.

I've three suggestions:

Put the tabbers guides in a more prominent position on the site, like at the front. make the guide pop up automatically when you post a tab for anybody with a low rating/first time tabbers or for everyone but with a button to switch it off.

send an automatic message for rejected tabs to give the tabber the chance to put things right.

Improve the data entry system with more foolproof templates for tab/chords etc. perhaps making it compatible with rtf files or Word documents. (Sorry I do realise how difficult that would be)

UG is a great site and is rapidly becoming the default site for guitarists but it depends on the generosity of the tabbers. Keep up the good work but make it easier for us to grow.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Colohue
UG Writer

I think linking to the UG Contribution forum in the 'submit your tab/article/review' area is currently in the pipeworks, but the admin and coders are a little busy recently. It's a good idea, I agree with you.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Phil Starr

Thanks Tom, I know it is easier to suggest things than to implement them. Is there any way of knowing if any of this is being considered?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
PiCSeL
pedobear

I think it's good and not so difficult to implement. Wait for Till for final word.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
never_give_in
music rulez the world

I totally agree with Phil Starr

UG should make things easier for tabbers
never_give_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Till From Kenig

I think we should write some kind of unified document, decribing every aspect of tab submition first. I hoope we'll be able to do that soon.
Till From Kenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Colohue
UG Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till From Kenig
I think we should write some kind of unified document, decribing every aspect of tab submition first. I hoope we'll be able to do that soon.

Why not ask if one of the top tabbers might do it?

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Phil Starr

This is brilliant, I wish I knew enough to write something useful. all the information is here it just needs putting together.

Many thanks for your support.

Phil Starr
Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
blakeg14

I know what you mean, man.
my tab got rejected as well D:
blakeg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
cflat

I think most new tabbers get rejected for trying to tab a song that already has more than 5 versions, and it's a popular song. Smoke on the Water by deep purple is probably not the best song to practice your tabbing skills. Find something unique that has very few versions.

Don't copy other peoples tabs, it becomes obvious after awhile.

Get the name of the song right, get the name of the band right. Otherwise it'll just make the searching harder for the viewer. And also, some people do this just to get there version of Smook on the waater by deep purple passed the watchful eyes.

Always do a few searches for the song before you tab it, don't waste your effort on it if there's plenty of them there already. And if you didn't find it on your first search, make sure your spelling is right or includes all the words. (yes I'm repeating myself and I had to edit this paragraph, twice)

Make sure you double check it a few times before submitting, play the tab as if someone else would. I do this multiple times and still submit stuff with errors.

When you submit, click on the preview button. If it doesn't look right, then something is wrong. Fix it, or ask for help in the forums.

There's really only a few simple guidelines to try and follow and you'll be happier you did.

PS. I've had my tabs rejected too for trying to improve on tabs that didn't need much improvement.

Last edited by cflat : 02-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.
cflat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: