Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #81
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Shred Off
Yep. So if you don't want it to be a science, don't look at it like a science.

I only want it to be science. Playing is for chumps.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #82
RandyEllefson

As someone who's had tendonitis for 14 years, I know for certain acoustics are "harder" to play physically. It took me 5 years to regain my electric guitar skills and 10 to regain the acoustic ones for one reason and one reason only - the acoustic is harder to play. There's really no debating this.

It takes more forearm strength to hold down the acoustic strings. This is a fact, not a myth. And this generally what people mean.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #83
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyEllefson
It takes more forearm strength to hold down the acoustic strings. This is a fact, not a myth. And this generally what people mean.

No no, it's not that the physical demands of an acoustic and electric are equal at all. The point of the post was to say that neither instrument is more challenging to become skilled on.
GC Shred Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #84
RandyEllefson

in that case I would agree.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #85
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Ironically, when I recently started focussing on technique on the electric and building up individual finger strength/dexterity/independence, my playing on the acoustic improved.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

hitman_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #86
RandyEllefson

that doesn't surprise me
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #87
|Long|
String Theory

Why's that ironic?
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #88
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Isn't it supposed to be the othe way around? You build up finger strength on the acoustic and start blazing away on the electric? Granted, thats never happened to me, but its the first time I've noticed such a huge improvement onn one guitar by practicing on another. I can even play major/minor/dom7 sweeps cleanly on the acoustic now!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #89
RandyEllefson

technique improving is a general thing, not specific to what type of guitar it is. Thinking that practicing on an electric won't improve your acoustic playing is like thinking that practicing on a Flying V won't make your playing on a Fender Strat any better. Your playing is what got better. Which type of guitar you were using to do it doesn't change things THAT much.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #90
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

You're right, it was just a pleasant surprise. With the higher action and greater string tension, I didnt expect to be as clean.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #91
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_47
Isn't it supposed to be the othe way around? You build up finger strength on the acoustic and start blazing away on the electric? Granted, thats never happened to me, but its the first time I've noticed such a huge improvement onn one guitar by practicing on another. I can even play major/minor/dom7 sweeps cleanly on the acoustic now!

Strength is strength. Technique is technique. Even playing a mandolin will benefit you in guitar.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #92
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Yeah, I realized. Hey long, where're you from?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #93
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Yeah, I realized. Hey long, where're you from?

Ontario.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #94
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Ontario.

Cool man, you into physics at all? String theory...

Old 09-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #95
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Cool man, you into physics at all? String theory...

Yup.
Electrical Engineering student and indulge in particle physics. Also have concept art for a music album relating all it - now only if I recorded
Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #96
hitman_47
Scientifically Confused

Quote:
Yup.
Electrical Engineering student and indulge in particle physics. Also have concept art for a music album relating all it - now only if I recorded

Lol, I'm studying EE too, final year in fact. I was interested in string theory and the chaos theory, non linear dynamics et al. The concept album sounds cool man, perhaps you should contribute to the acoustic album. It'd be cool to have a science inspired track!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #97
'93

Quote:
No no, it's not that the physical demands of an acoustic and electric are equal at all. The point of the post was to say that neither instrument is more challenging to become skilled on.

sp its just as easy to become a skilled acoustic player (compared to other acoustic players) as to become an electric play (compared to other electic player?

thats obvious

but acoustic guitars are harder to play on which is what you talked about inyour post
'93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #98
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
but acoustic guitars are harder to play on which is what you talked about inyour post

Don't be silly. The post is commenting on the difficulty of becoming proficient with the instrument, not on how much exertion it takes.

Last edited by GC Shred Off : 09-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #99
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Don't be silly. The post is commenting on the difficulty of becoming proficient with the instrument, not on how much exertion it takes.

Quote:
Myth: Acoustic guitars are harder to play than electrics.

Truth: Acoustic guitars play differently than electrics.

Explanation:Every guitarist will hear that the higher action, heavier strings, and fatter necks make acoustics "harder" to play. It's just not true. Granted, if you take a novice BC Rich electric player (no offense to novice BC Rich players) and give him a dreadnought with 13's on it, he wont be able to hit a single bar chord, but thats because the guitars are different animals. Conversely, if you take a life-long player of a heavy-stringed Jumbo and stick him on an Ibanez Jem, he/she will feel weird as hell. There is no easier or harder, it is a matter of personal experience. There are guitarists (myself included) who feel most comfortable on an acoustic.

Beyond that, no one ever said that acoustics are required to be set up with inch-high action and suspension bridge cables for strings. If you don't like heavy strings, try some 10's or 9's. If you don't like high action, set it lower or look for an instrument that can be setup with ultra-low string height (Ovations come to mind). Any acoustic guitar can be tailored to personal preference. Next time someone says they can't play acoustics because the action is too high, just roll your eyes... or refer them to the UG acoustic forum.

Just pointing out that the post was all about the mechanics of physically playing and not about being proficient.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #100
GC Shred Off
is into you.

Quote:
Just pointing out that the post was all about the mechanics of physically playing and not about being proficient.

Of course it's mentioned. The physical differences are the source of the misconception in the first place! It does not imply that "you won't have to press a little harder" an an acoustic. It does imply that having to press a little harder doesn't make the instrument too difficult (or even more difficult) to learn. It's just different.

Rate This Thread: